The Talos Principle

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

peter
The Gap Into Spam

The Talos Principle

Post by peter »

Am thinking about springing for this game, but it isn't a very common one and consequently don't come cheap. The trailer and reviews look okay - but I'm just not a hundred percent convinced: it's a puzzle based game and has by all accounts an interesting philosophy based back story......but.......

Anybody played it or know anything about it?

:)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Heard of it, but that's about all. Check out a couple of "Let's Play" videos, usually can show if it's worth it to you.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I'm having second thoughts already. Saw a review vid on YouTube that said it's a really good puzzle game, but overpriced at thirty plus quid and that there was a distinct disconnect between the backstory and the puzzles; they simply didn't relate to each other.

Looks like I might be giving RDR2 a go instead.

The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

I'm definitely going for that, just waiting for the next sale which should see it down 30%. Usually I would hold out longer, but I'm bored...

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I played it when I had 30 days on X Box Game Pass last year. Enjoyed it well enough, the puzzles are decent.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

It's about 13 quid in CEX (a second hand gaming chain in the UK) at present and I've got vouchers enough to cover that, so yeah - should be on the cards soon.

Having said that I'm getting my second wind with Kingdom Come Deliverance and am enjoying it sufficiently to stick with it for the moment. But it's a long game at my level of playing; I'm trying to build up my skills and am slowly succeeding, but boy do I work for every email gain!

:lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, yeah, but then again, it's meant to be a long game. :D Personally, if I can't get a minimum of 50 hours (and preferably more) out of a game, I'm not that interested.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Absolutely Av - there is something about the total immersion that one can get from a sustained bout of playing the same game in continuous unbroken fashion that makes any shorter game seem to pale in comparison. Some people hop from game to game, back and forth, but this doesn't do it for me. But kcd is a different animal; I've played hundreds of hours (I'd think) and I'm (according to the ps4 main screen info) around fifteen percent through it. I'm not clear as to whether the fifteen percent refers to the trophy attainment status or actual passage through the game, but either ways I've still got a long way to go. I'm doing lots of side quests and activities in order to build up my abilities and this is time consuming (and I'm a slow player to boot). Extrapolating from where I am and the time I've taken so far, I think I'd be playing it essentially unbroken for about a year in order to do it in one swallow. Even given the amount to which I lean toward long immersive games, this is a bit too much - hence the break I took earlier in the year (can't remember what I was playing before Ghost of Tsushima - oh yes, Assassin's Creed Odyssey) just to get a bit of respite.

I wonder if I should give Elder Scrolls online a go? Do you think it compares to Skyrim in the way you play it? I've never done a mmorpg before - might be interesting for a change. (And the cinematic trailers look very impressive - wish they'd do a Skyrim film in this form... I'd pay to see it! )

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I'm Murrin wrote:I played it when I had 30 days on X Box Game Pass last year. Enjoyed it well enough, the puzzles are decent.
Sorry Murrin - I thought you were talking about rdr2! Just gone back over the posts and realized you were referring to the Talos Principle! (Clever Peter; the clues in the title of the thread, and you wrote it!) No - that one I'd have to spring around thirty plus quid for, even second hand. I like puzzles, but tend to prefer them when they're integrated into a story rather than just strung one after the other. Uncharted; A thief's end, gives a flavour of what I mean......if they upped the puzzle content of that by a bit it would have worked really well for me.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Ah, well, in that case it's probably not what you're looking for. The Talos Principle is literally a puzzle game, not just a game with puzzles in it. The puzzles are the point.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I'd certainly go for it at a more 'doable' price Murrin. I like the idea of having a good puzzle game to dip into when I'm in the mood, but perhaps just not on a whole-game basis.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yeah, I like I said I played it for basically free so. I wouldn't spend that much on a game most of the time.

Post by Avatar »

peter wrote: I wonder if I should give Elder Scrolls online a go? Do you think it compares to Skyrim in the way you play it? I've never done a mmorpg before - might be interesting for a change.
Never tried it, and never played a MMO before either...not my style of gaming...I play games so I can avoid interacting with people, not promote it. :D

--A

Return to “PC & Console Games”