The One Tree - Sixteen: The Gaddhi's Punishment

TWL, TOT, WGW

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

The One Tree - Sixteen: The Gaddhi's Punishment

Post by Fist and Faith »

This chapter begins with us finding out what the others were doing while Covenant was being tortured in the last chapter. In her room, Linden is in turmoil because of her failure in the face of the Kemper’s geas, and the fact that “[Cail], too, did not trust her.” But, eventually, she falls asleep. And she’s woken by Cail, who tells her that Covenant has been taken. When they get out into the corridor, the First explains about Lady Alif blowing the powder into the faces of Hergrom and Brinn, knocking them unconscious, and taking Covenant.

Since Lady Alif had said that she was taking Covenant to the Kemper, they head to Kemper’s Pitch. Unfortunately, it’s being guarded by scores of hustin. But as the hustin begin to advance on the company, the Lady Alif (gloriously naked, btw :mrgreen:) comes to their rescue. Mad at the Kemper for having said mean things to her in the previous chapter, she threatens and bluffs the guards into letting the company pass. When they get in, they see Covenant where the last chapter ended, Hergrom over the body of the dead Guard.

Kasreyn claims all innocence, saying he was trying to help Covenant, and that he would have succeeded if Hergrom hadn’t busted in. Blah blah blah. So in comes the gaddhi. The short of the next couple of pages is that the gaddhi is adamant about having Hergrom punished for killing one of his guards. Kasreyn puts on his geas, and touches Hergrom’s forehead. Nothing appears to happen, but Hergrom’s eyes widen slightly.

Everybody but the Kemper and our heroes leave. Kemper tells them they can return to their rooms, and they’ll be summoned later. Brinn, with only his gaze, asks first Linden, then the First, if they can kill the Kemper, but neither give their consent.

In the morning, they are, rather politely, summoned to accompany the gaddhi as he walks along the Sandwall. They’re promised a wonderful view of the Great Desert. And they get it. Huge, horribly bright and hot, and completely dead.

They also see Sandgorgons Doom. This looks like a big deal! A huge storm that Linden seems to perceive as self-sustaining!
Even the Haruchai stared at it as if they sought to estimate themselves against it.
:D THAT’S pretty cool insight into the Haruchai!

And Rant Absolain tells them about the Sandgorgons that the Doom holds:
“The Sandgorgons. You do not know them – but I tell you this. Granted time and freedom, one such creature might tear the Sandhold stone from stone. One! They are more fearsome than madness or nightmare.”
Yikes!

OK, the short of these couple of pages is that Hergrom climbs a rope down the wall, the open desert in front of him. Ceer quickly follows, so that Hergrom isn’t alone in this entirely unknown situation.

Finally, after the gaddhi threatens to kill Lady Alif and Linden, Hergrom speaks what seems like a harmless enough syllable: Nom. Apparently, Kasreyn planted that word into Hergrom's head the previous night in the Pitch. The gaddhi is overjoyed, though we can’t imagine why. But as we wait, the Kemper explains what’s happening:
“The power of any art depends upon its flaw. Perfection cannot endure in an imperfect world. Thus when I bound the Sandgorgons to their Doom, I was compelled to place a flaw within my theurgy. The flaw I chose is this, that any Sandgorgon will be released if its name is spoken. It will be free while it discovers the one who spoke its name. Then it must slay the speaker and return to its Doom.”
It sounds like he’s saying you can’t make a perpetual machine. Also that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. But I digress. The point is, Kasreyn can think what he wants, but no Sandgorgon, whatever they are, has ever faced a Haruchai before! I think they’re both in for a surprise! Heh! Heh! Heh!

Although…. Now that I think about it, Foamfollower said that two hundred Giants died fighting the Sandgorgons. Hmmm, I hope this won’t be trouble. Ah well, not to worry.

But we’ve finally arrived at the moment we’ve all been waiting for:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN - THE MAIN EVENT!!!!!

In one corner, the challenger. He’s got the home-field advantage, here in the Great Desert. He’s a mean one, folks! Just out of prison, he’s looking to make a name for himself. Introducing The Beast With No FaceThe Bhrathairealm Battering Ram – it’s Nom “Bird-Legs” Saaaaaandgooooorgoooooon!

And in the other corner, the champions. All the way from the chilly Westron Mountains, these guys haven’t stopped complaining about the heat since they got here. They’re rat-crushers, Grim-dodgers, and dromond-sailers - Iiiiiit’s Hergrom and Ceer “What’s with all this sand?” Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuchaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!

Joking aside, I assume everybody knows that this battle is a big moment for me. We’ve seen Haruchai fighting against foes that presented no problem whatsoever. No single human, husta, Cavewight, or most anything else, stands a chance. Even large numbers of any of these will pay dearly before they take down a single Haruchai. Without question, a trained Giant, like the First, would be a very worthy foe. I’m not placing any bets on that fight! We’ve only seen Haruchai vs Giant twice. If not for the Illearth Stone fragment, Thomin would have won the only such fight that was to the death, but we can’t know if Fleshharrower fought as well as the unpossessed Giant would have. And Brinn and Honninscrave didn’t go on long enough to see what would have happened. As Honninscrave was rubbing his chin, was Brinn ignoring the pain of blows that would have permanently crippled me?

But now we have a foe that the Haruchai cannot beat. That’s a shocking thing to say, and NOBODY likes saying it less than I do. But facts are facts. It failed to hit Hergrom with its first charge, slammed into the Sandhold’s wall, cracking it, knocking chunks out of it, and making those on top feel “as if the entire Sandhold had shifted.” Holy moley!! Up against such elemental might, we have two Haruchai:
Striking with all their skill and strength, they hammered at its neck.
---------
Ceer butted the beast’s chin with such force that the Sandgorgon rebounded a stop. Immediately, he followed, raining blows.
---------
Straining every muscle, he clamped his forearm into the beast’s throat, fought to throttle the creature.
Think about what those parts I put in bold mean! How much damage can TWO Haruchai do when they’re going all out!!! Their punches could break a telephone pole, and Hergrom’s squeezing would have snapped it in half! My house would be a pile of rubble if these two did to it what they did to the Sandgorgon. But what effect did all of that have on this creature?
It took the blows as if they were handsful of sand.
---------
But they had no effect.
Ceer was actually able to move the Sandgorgon twice! His skill and strength were sufficient to make it lose its balance enough that it had to step back, but it was in no danger. This creature is, perhaps, a truly irresistible force.

8O

But, as I tend to do with everything, I see the Sandgorgon, impressive as he is in his own right, as a sort of lens through which we can view the Haruchai. Bannor once told Covenant, “The Bloodguard know doubt.” But the doubt was in the intentions of others, not in their own ability. A few pages ago, just before Hergrom went down the wall, Linden told him not to - “You don’t have to do this.” Brinn replies:
“Chosen, we desire to meet this punishment, that we may see it ended.” His tone expressed nothing except an entire belief in his own competence – the same self-trust which had led the Bloodguard to defy death and time in the service of the Lords.
Before the fight began, before the blows of Hergrom and Ceer were all but ignored, something of “staggering speed” was charging them. Something that “was larger than the Haruchai awaiting it, but it hardly had size enough to contain such might.” But I imagine this was obvious even to those who didn’t have Linden’s Sight. And the Haruchai, having faced all manner of foe for millennia, certainly knew what was coming. What did their telepathic conversation sound like as it got closer and closer? Something like this:
-This creature possesses extreme power.
-Yes. We must defeat it quickly, so that we may safeguard the ur-Lord and his companions.

And what would their conversation sound like if the surviving Haruchai ran up against another Sandgorgon at any point? Something like this:
-This creature possesses extreme power.
-Yes. We must defeat it quickly, so that we may safeguard the ur-Lord and his companions.

They are perfect fighters, and they have learned from one battle with a Sandgorgon, so they would go into it confident that they would win.

And their thoughts during the battle? This:
-
-

The Haruchai do not think at all as they fight. They merely fight. With the no-minds of Zen masters, they become akin to elementals of warfare, achieving perfection by not striving for it, but by simply doing.

I’m reminded of an episode of Cartoon Network’s Clone Wars. (Great series, btw :) ) There’s a planet where the gems for lightsabers come from. It looks to be an arctic planet, and the gems are in underground tunnels. The Jedi Master in charge is instructing what seems to be a Knight constructing her first saber. They’re attacked by hundreds of droids. These two ladies kick some serious butt before the cavern collapses from the damage. They use the Force to hold the boulders up, but there are so many tons of rock falling on them that they can’t even attempt to clear them all away, and free themselves. The Knight looks over to say something to the Master, and sees her kneeling, head bowed, doing and thinking nothing other than holding the boulders up. The Knight assumes the same position, and the episode ends with the two in that position. They aren’t thinking, “How will we get out of this?” “Are the Jedi aware of our situation?” “Are there more droids about to attack?” The only way they can survive is to abandon all thought, all fear, all physical discomfort, and hold up that damned ceiling! If they are rescued, they live. If they aren’t, they will eventually tire and die. With pure concentration, they can last some time. But if they think about anything at all, they’ll die very soon. Same thing as when you fight a Sandgorgon.

I don’t think it’s likely that the Haruchai traveled to a galaxy far, far away, so I assume the Jedi learned what they know by traveling to the Westron Mountains.

Um, sorry folks. This one ran a little long I guess. :oops: :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

No, your enthusiasm well made up for the lengthy dissection. Also your humor... kinda reminded me of "A Knight's Tale" where Geoffrey Chaucer, Sir William's Herald did the most outrageous and coolest intros of his "Lord" than any of the other Heralds.

The battle of the Sandgorgon was an awesome read. The might of the combatants surely must've struck all the watchers with awe. Most humans would've been killed by the first contact from Nom (or any other Gorgon). But these two gave him/it a run for it's money. Probably enjoyed it. "Wow, a real challenge...for once!"
I can imagine the First contemplating her own performance either during or after the fight should she ever find herself against one of those beasties.
Spoiler
Wonder if the Starfare's Gem's giants knew the tale of the giants battling the Sandgorgons? What an interesting tale that would be eh?
I'm sorry to disagree with you here Fist that I see the Haruchai as being just as human as you and I. They're extraordinarily skilled humans and powerful but their strength comes from living in the harsh environment of the mountians and genetically they're tougher because they've learned how to adapt to such conditions and passed it on to their children. Nature and the mountains selectively choose the strongest of them, and the Haruchai people choose their strongest among them to go and serve.
Mebbe I got it all wrong. But nonetheless the Haruchai are indeed an awesome people.
By the way what was with this spoiler?
Although…. Now that I think about it, Foamfollower said that two hundred Giants died fighting the Sandgorgons. Hmmm, I hope this won’t be trouble. Ah well, not to worry.
Either way a good insight and recall.

I ponder also the effect that the ability of the Haruchai to prolong the fight
Spoiler
helped put fear or doubt in the whole quest's inabilities into the Gaddhi as evident by the next chapter

I'm curious to know what the Kemper thought of it seeing one of those creatures being given a run for it's money.

Also wonder if TC was "awake" would've he tried to stop the battle? Would've Brinn interferred as he argued with Linden for not stopping it or refusing it?

Yes, learning from the battle is something every fighter/warrior should do even if they are not participants. It's obvious that the Haruchai know this intimately.

Good going Fist!
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Seafoam Understone wrote:But these two gave him/it a run for it's money. Probably enjoyed it. "Wow, a real challenge...for once!"
Excellent point! :)
Seafoam Understone wrote:I'm sorry to disagree with you here Fist that I see the Haruchai as being just as human as you and I. They're extraordinarily skilled humans and powerful but their strength comes from living in the harsh environment of the mountians and genetically they're tougher because they've learned how to adapt to such conditions and passed it on to their children. Nature and the mountains selectively choose the strongest of them, and the Haruchai people choose their strongest among them to go and serve.
I have no problem with that way of thinking. Although, as I discussed in my old "Haruchai/Zen master" thread, the incredibly inhospitable environment also sharpened their minds in certain ways. I think their absolute intensity allows them to perform what seem to be superhuman feats. Like a mother lifting a burning car off of her child. She can't do it often, or even more than once. The situation put her into a very unique frame of mind, allowing her to use her body to its fullest possible potential. Well, the Haruchai can do that all the time.

That tiny-print spoiler wasn't supposed to be a spoiler, just me not wanting say it out loud. :D I didn't want to admit there might possibly be a reason to think the Haruchai might not be up to the task. But if Giants had a tough time with Sandgorgons...

And I love A Knight's Tale!! :D Bowie's Golden Years was one of my favorite parts. What fun! :D
Seafoam Understone wrote:Good going Fist!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Haruchai
Giantfriend

Post by Haruchai »

*Is Speechless*
*Is Awed*

Wow!! :Hail: :Hail: :Hail:
This was one of my favourite chapters. For a second there, I almost thought that Hergorm might just defeat Nom. But he didn't. :cry:
And in the other corner, the champions. All the way from the chilly Westron Mountains, these guys haven’t stopped complaining about the heat since they got here. They’re rat-crushers, Grim-dodgers, and dromond-sailers - Iiiiiit’s Hergrom and Ceer “What’s with all this sand?” Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuchaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!

LOL. :mrgreen:
How did the Haruchai adapt to the climate so fast/easily?
Last edited by Haruchai on Wed May 19, 2004 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I see you keep a bee" - Danny Bhoy

"I'll move on when I'm ready to" - Reservoir Dogs

"Their pheremones fizzled like ice cream and lemonade" - Harvie Krumpet
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Fist wrote:LADIES AND GENTLEMEN - THE MAIN EVENT!!!!!

In one corner, the challenger. He’s got the home-field advantage, here in the Great Desert. He’s a mean one, folks! Just out of prison, he’s looking to make a name for himself. Introducing The Beast With No Face – The Bhrathairealm Battering Ram – it’s Nom “Bird-Legs” Saaaaaandgooooorgoooooon!

And in the other corner, the champions. All the way from the chilly Westron Mountains, these guys haven’t stopped complaining about the heat since they got here. They’re rat-crushers, Grim-dodgers, and dromond-sailers - Iiiiiit’s Hergrom and Ceer “What’s with all this sand?” Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuchaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
:haha:

You're the best Fist!!! You took a chapter that left me even more depressed over the One Tree than I already was, and made it fun. :D
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Yes, this is a depressing stretch of the book -- and you did manage to make it fun! 8) Thanks! 8)
Love as thou wilt.

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

We’ve only seen Haruchai vs Giant twice. If not for the Illearth Stone fragment, Thomin would have won the only such fight that was to the death, but we can’t know if Fleshharrower fought as well as the unpossessed Giant would have. And Brinn and Honninscrave didn’t go on long enough to see what would have happened. As Honninscrave was rubbing his chin, was Brinn ignoring the pain of blows that would have permanently crippled me?
There was a 3rd Haruchai vs. Giant - Korik, Sill and Doar vs. Kinslaughterer.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

True enough, and I should have been more specific. I was really discussing the various fights we've seen a lone Haruchai involved in, so that the impact of seeing two of them utterly defeated would be that much stronger. And so the Sandgorgon's might would be that much more obvious.

And I'm glad I brightened up everybody's day! :D heh
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Great work this....

If I had to choose, this chapter would have to be in my top 5 favorite chapters in the entire series. Stunning!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yup! One of the great chapters! Coming from guys named Brinn and Fist and Faith. :) But still, I imagine most everybody feels the power of this chapter. Not just the physical might of Nom, but the trial of the Haruchai.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

We should rename this Chapter 16: Fist & Faith Unleashed! :D

Wonderful insights into the Haruchai and the Sandgorgons, Fist. Your description of the "Main Event" is breathtaking! I can just picture Rocky Balboa entering stage left, ready to take on Nom. "In this corner the Italian Stallion..."

I love The One Tree precisely because of great chapters like this one. Heck, TOT is one tremendous chapter after another, IMO. The exotic locales, the incredible beings, and their incredible powers...SRD's imagination in this book dazzles me in a way even greater than in the others. The sense of being far away from "home" (the Land) naturally makes the story stick out in my mind.

Dumb question: do Sandgorgons eat? Doesn't seem like it. Even the Ranyhyn are known to eat amanibhavam once in a while. The Clave's Coursers are a better analogy: they don't require sustenance either. The Coursers are creatures powered by the Sunbane, but what powers the Sandgorgons? What enables them to hear their name spoken from far away, and then enables them to answer with such deadly speed? At the speed a Sandgorgon travels at, does it create a sonic boom? I can imagine the huge pressure wave Nom would be generating in front of him as he runs. Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive...
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

I agree Matrixman, I always liked TOT because of the change from the land, The Wounded Land that is!

This battle between the Haruchai & Nom is awe-inspiring F&F!

It was actually shocking the first time I read it - how could these guys lose?

Nice review Fist!
"You're afraid of yourself."
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Thanks Matrixman and Earthblood. :)

Yes, I love TOT too. At one time, I went so far as to say it was my favorite book. Not just of TCTC, but of ALL literature.

Excellent questions about the Sandgorgons, MM. I suspect they do not eat at all. No mouths that could be seen.

My first thought was that Kasreyn's magic is why a Sandgorgon could hear its name spoken when it was within the Doom, and that
Spoiler
Covenant's wild magic made it possible for Nom to hear his name from Revelstone.
But then I thought that maybe it was something like the way the Ranyhyn hear the whistle from anywhere. Maybe just Earthpower at work, and the only real trick is to learn a Sandgorgon's name.

As for their "deadly speed," I'm guessing that's just their nature.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Fist and Faith wrote:Thanks Matrixman and Earthblood. :)

Yes, I love TOT too. At one time, I went so far as to say it was my favorite book. Not just of TCTC, but of ALL literature.

Excellent questions about the Sandgorgons, MM. I suspect they do not eat at all. No mouths that could be seen.

My first thought was that Kasreyn's magic is why a Sandgorgon could hear its name spoken when it was within the Doom, and that
Spoiler
Covenant's wild magic made it possible for Nom to hear his name from Revelstone.
But then I thought that maybe it was something like the way the Ranyhyn hear the whistle from anywhere. Maybe just Earthpower at work, and the only real trick is to learn a Sandgorgon's name.

As for their "deadly speed," I'm guessing that's just their nature.
Yeah, I can see similarities between the calling of the Ranyhyn and Sandgorgons... as it was "they heard the call days ago" for Ranyhyn.
Prothall nodded to Tuvor; the ten Bloodguard turned and spread out, so that each faced into the rising sun with no one to obscure his view. One at a time, each Bloodguard raised a hand to his mouth and gave a piercing whistle which echoed off the wall of the Keep into the dawn air.
They whistled again, and then a third time, and each call sounded as fierce and lonely as a heart cry. But the last whistle was answered by a distant whinny and a low thunder of mighty hooves. All eyes turned expectantly eastward, squinted into the morning glory. For a long moment, nothing appeared, and the rumble of the earth came disembodied to the company, a mystic manifestation. But then the horses could be seen within the sun's orb, as if they had materialized in skyfire.
Soon the Ranyhyn passed out of the direct line of the sun. There were ten of them -- wild and challenging animals. They were great craggy beasts, deepchested, proud-necked, with some of the delicacy of pure-blooded stock and some of the rough angularity of mustangs. They had long flying manes and tails, gaits as straight as plumb lines, eyes full of restless intelligence. Chestnuts, bays, roans, they galloped toward the Bloodguard.
Osondrea explains to Covenant:
For many reasons, only some of which I can guess, no Bloodguard has remained unchosen. "As to the coming here of the Ranyhyn today -- that surpasses my explaining. They are creatures of Earthpower. In some way, each Ranyhyn knows when its rider will call -- yes, knows, and never fails to answer. Here are Huryn, Brabha, Marny, and others. Ten days ago they heard the call which only reached our ears this morning -- and after more than four hundred leagues, they arrive as fresh as the dawn.
As for the Sandgorgons... perhaps they are creatures of such power that calling their name(s) sends an invisible (?) inaudible (?) echo and the creature hears it.

NOM! Nom! Nom nom nom

As for the speed... yes I agree with Fist and as the Kemper explained:
The Sandgorgons answer their release swiftly. Distance has no meaning to such power. Behold!" His voice sharpened. "Though the Doom lies more than a score of leagues hence, already the answer draws nigh."

And their physical description gives much...
Then the beast itself appeared. Bleached to an albino whiteness by ages of sun, it was difficult to see against the pale desert. But it ran forward with staggering speed and became clear.
It was larger than the Haruchai awaiting it, but it hardly had size enough to contain so much might. For an instant, Linden was struck by the strangeness of its gait. Its knees were back-bent like a bird's, and its feet were wide pads, giving it the ability to traverse sand with immense celerity and force.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Durris
Giantfriend

Post by Durris »

Fist wrote:Brinn, with only his gaze, asks first Linden, then the First, if they can kill the Kemper, but neither give their consent.
I didn't quite understand why Brinn asked permission of the ladies. Fist, you've emphasized to us before that the Vow did not entail a promise of obedience; Brinn was under no Vow, but his private oath of service presumably would have been morally if not ontologically similar. Why did he ask rather than just do?
Fist wrote:
Even the Haruchai stared at it as if they sought to estimate themselves against it.
THAT’S pretty cool insight into the Haruchai!
Indeed. We get a sense here of how they perceive the entire world as a fabric of challenges.
Spoiler
(The Haruchai of the Second Chronicles have the myth of ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol to personalize this sense and bring it into focus--he could be waiting within literally any thing or situation they encounter, so they are always ready. I'm not convinced that their ancestors in the First Chronicles had the personification, although they certainly had the attitude.)
As Hergrom attempts to strangle Nom,
Rant Absolain stopped giggling. Disbelief radiated from him like a cry.
Darn right, O gaddhi, your dubious majesty. Look on someone with more courage in one cell than you have ever had in your whole body, and be dismayed.
dlbpharmd wrote:There was a 3rd Haruchai vs. Giant - Korik, Sill and Doar vs. Kinslaughterer.
A victory eventually regretted.
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy is increased.
--Spider Robinson

Return to “2nd Chronicles”