SWMNBN = Linden's mom???

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

SWMNBN = Linden's mom???

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

Of course in a "so are Sarah Clint and Lena and all" sense, Linden's mom is part of Her, but on a deeper (or more superficial?!) level...

Foul also reminds me of Linden's dad, btw.

Again I wish there'd been more/anything about Covenant's parents haha!
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

SRD was significantly younger when he wrote the first Chrons and likely lacked the depth of life experience to have put generational perspectives in his work.

Three decades later, he was very much a different author.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

I saw a theory once that used the time conversion between worlds to see if the Ritual of Desecration matched up to when Covenant got leprosy. 3500/10 = 350 years in the Land for one year over here, so if Linden was 30 in the Second Chrons, then when she was 8 years old (IIRC when her dad died) the Land would have been in the time 7,700 years before the Second Chrons, or 4,200 years before the First Chrons.

Hmm, I guess that would leave only 1200 pre-Old Lord years (if they reigned for 3000 years?) which isn't enough time for the legendary history of the Earth, here---on the supposition that her dad became the Despiser when he killed himself that is.

Alternatively, her dad was always the Despiser. I'd guess he was in his late 30s or early 40s when he died, we'll go with 40 for some Thomas symmetry (daddy issues :P) so 40 X 350 = 14000 years before the First Chrons or 11000 years before the Old Lords.

Then again this would mean that if She was Linden's mom, Her marriage to Linden's dad was the trapping of Mininderain.

(Random thing to notice: the word "Mininderain" only has one phonetic sibling, it seems, in the Land's language, namely "Andelain." It's always struck me how Andelain was like the counter-Threndor even though Mount Thunder stands basically halfway within it...)

I mean, if the Creator was the ochre-robed man, and if transworld travel is possible, doesn't it seem loosely possible that the Despiser was a man in our world, too, who traveled to the Land's world and was trapped there like Covenant is after he dies? I know Foul is an archetype, but maybe part of the whole story is to teach us that the archetypes aren't totally transcendent universals but are at least also immanent particulars inside of us: that the general and the specific are not at odds, so to speak, but in just as much harmony as anything else ought to be.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Mighara Sovmadhi wrote:I mean, if the Creator was the ochre-robed man, and if transworld travel is possible, doesn't it seem loosely possible that the Despiser was a man in our world, too, who traveled to the Land's world and was trapped there like Covenant is after he dies? I know Foul is an archetype, but maybe part of the whole story is to teach us that the archetypes aren't totally transcendent universals but are at least also immanent particulars inside of us: that the general and the specific are not at odds, so to speak, but in just as much harmony as anything else ought to be.
Okay, sure. :P

Return to “The Last Dark”