Samuel Clemens

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Baradakas
Lord

Samuel Clemens

Post by Baradakas »

I LOVE Mark Twain. The Prince and the Pauper, A Connecticut Yankee in king Arthurs Court, etc...

I consider him one the the greatest classic novelists.

What do you think? What's you favorite story/novel etc....

Tom Sawyer helped me gain perspective in my childhood.....
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I tried to read Sawyer, but the way it is written puts me off.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Tried Prince and the Pauper, and could not get into it, but Connecticut Yankee was good - depressing, to be sure, but good. Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn were a lot of fun. I've been meaning to read some of his short stories, but as usual can barely keep up with my schoolwork, let alone outside reading.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I think my favorite Twain book is Life on the Mississippi. I read it while visiting people who live in a little town in Iowa that is on the Mississippi, and it was really cool reading about what life on the River used to be, while staying with people who actually live there in the here and now. 8)
Love as thou wilt.

Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Twain's Adam and Eve dairies are really funny
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

I enjoyed both Tom Sawyer, and Huckleberyy Finn and argee with popualr opinion that the latter is by far the superior work. I, however, don't care for the other well known works by Twain (not that I think they are not quality, I just don't think of them as anything exceptional).

I really did like Letters from the Earth whic was published after Twain's death, a very controversial effort i nthe format of eltters from Satan to Gabriel.

I also liked Schoolhouse Hill which invovles a atory with Satan/Huck/and Tom Sawyer a revision and part of his unfinished (by him) The Mysterious Stranger .
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I have only read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and The Prince and the Pauper, and recall liking both works. I hope to one day read A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

Return to “General Literature Discussion”