It's Terry Goodkind

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

And did you see his photo? :haha:
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Why does his hair (face and head) look airbrushed? The mind boggles. :huh:
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

He looks like a Wrestler from the WWF (or whatever they are called these days), and that is not a good thing. :?
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Love as thou wilt.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Heh, yeah, that place is hilarious.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Well, I just finished WFR, and sort of liked it. I've started SoT, and can already tell it's gonna be a long haul. I generally like tomes, but they have to have something for my teeth to sink into...

And having read through this thread, I can see that it is probably not in my best interest to go beyond the first few books.

I like his notion of the Seeker...the concept reminds me of Sufis, but his treatment of the character most assuredly does not.

I had a nice little laugh while reading how he thinks he's at the forefront of fantasy...he's saying it, but SRD is actually doing it!
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

One of the reasons there are so many negative comments on Goodkind's books may be this place - the Kevin's Watch. He is in so many ways nearly opposite to SRD - ideas, style, attitude...

I find that his books can provide food for thought. Simply don't feel like I have to even generally agree with the author's ideas (and some are agreeable even) to find something of interest in his stories.

Also, as already mentioned here, he really writes something more like fantasy world placed political satire. That's neither for better nor for the worse - just another genre, but someone who expected fantasy and is in no mood for satirical stories can be thoroughly disappointed.
A role-player, beware
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Effaeldm wrote:One of the reasons there are so many negative comments on Goodkind's books may be this place - the Kevin's Watch. He is in so many ways nearly opposite to SRD - ideas, style, attitude...
...talent, humility, respect, self-awareness, fashion sense, tether to reality...
Also, as already mentioned here, he really writes something more like fantasy world placed political satire.
I've read all the books but PoC, and I have to strongly disagree that there's any satire to it. Allegory, moralizing, and polemicizing in spades, but no satire.

I disagree with his politics, but that's not the issue. The problem is that he thinks knocking down strawmen constitutes revolutionizing the fantasy genre (or makes interesting reading).
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Effaeldm,
Effaeldm wrote:One of the reasons there are so many negative comments on Goodkind's books may be this place - the Kevin's Watch. He is in so many ways nearly opposite to SRD - ideas, style, attitude...

I find that his books can provide food for thought. Simply don't feel like I have to even generally agree with the author's ideas (and some are agreeable even) to find something of interest in his stories.

Also, as already mentioned here, he really writes something more like fantasy world placed political satire. That's neither for better nor for the worse - just another genre, but someone who expected fantasy and is in no mood for satirical stories can be thoroughly disappointed.
What I really enjoy about the SoT books are the Chickens that are actually "evil incarnate" and the "hero" breaking the jaws of small bratty children.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

That's the "don't feel like I have to even generally agree" I already stated. It's usually more like he writes something and I think out what a reply to that can be.

And some things are actually useful, though this will take longer to explain - part of it as a sample of debating argumentation and behavior, part as a transitional way to get some people to understanding of other ideas and stories later, etc.

As for his views, maybe he got distracted because of some child, stumbled on a chicken and hit his head or something :biggrin: I'm far not saying to go and accept his ideas, instead that it may be interesting to read them - he has his reasons and motivations, why not look at them. There's as well the reasoning that books are read for information, not for morals.

Also, I'm not easily discarding most different options and opinions, let alone people. If I may quote a character from a book you're quite likely to know :D, "I have no special virtue to make me resent him. One must have strength in order to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty." I far don't fly above the clouds with a nimbus over my head, his works have thought in them - I can think on that, on his morals, adequacy and such the most I can say is that I regret they are as they are and wish him more wisdom and deeper understanding.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I love to tell this story from WFC two years ago...

I was in a group of writers on the morning of the last day of the convention. My table mates were Steven Erikson, Ian Esselmont, Michael Stackpole, Bob Vardeman, Nathan Lane and some guy who's name I don't remember. We got into a conversation about jacket photos and I went off about how I can't stand the melodramatic brooding angry artist photos. When Steve asked me what I meant exactly I offered up Terry Goodkind and proclaimed him the posterboy for really horrible jacket photos.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Had an edition with no jacket photo, googled, thank you for mentioning this one :biggrin:

Well, being a poseur is hardly a crime. More like a punishment even.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

OMG NOOOOOOOOOO
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to “General Literature Discussion”