Comics with temporarily inflated value

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

aTOMiC
Lord

Comics with temporarily inflated value

Post by aTOMiC »

I always find it interesting when a particular issue of a comic suddenly becomes valuable because of something marginally tangential.
Guest characters in otherwise unremarkable comics can be part of it, especially if it is said guest character's first appearance. Wolverine in Hulk 181 comes to mind.

But recently certain comics have grown in popularity due to influences from film and television. There was surge of interest in Thanos once he began appearing in MCU films.
The most blatant example came in the form of a short story appearing in the second half of issue #6 of the Marvel movie adaptation of Logan's Run. A book hardly anyone gave a second look years before had now become a hot item. I had one and made a healthy profit when I sold it. Now years later, after the frenzy has died down, I have reacquired the issue for only a couple of bucks.

A more recent example involves the Disney+ series WandaVision. When the white Vision appeared in the show the first appearance of the white Vision in comic form became highly sought after in the form of West Coast Avengers #45. I had the issue and sold it yesterday for $70. Months ago it was a comic that was all but ignored by most collectors but WandaVision comes along and BAM! Valuable.

I wish dAN could be here to comment on this topic. I'm sure he'd have dozens of examples to contribute.

I can't say I have ever been influenced to purchase a comic book simply because of some outlier demand. But I don't mind taking advantage of the situation for a little profit taking when the opportunity arises.

There are a number of comics that I have wanted to buy that because of trendy market forces I cannot afford. I used to have X-Men Giant Size #1, back when I was a teenager I sold it along with most of my comics to get money to spend on a girl. I have spent a number of years trying to reacquire all the issues I had in that original collection but there are 3 that I can't afford. X-Men Giant Size #1, Invincible Iron Man #55 and Incredible Hulk #181. Hopefully one of these days...
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Very interesting and it makes sense that TV and film popularity influences the resurgence of outlier comic characters and books.

I LOVE Wanda Vision and congratulations and well done on selling your comic for $70 ... brilliant

One of these days you will have them all
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

This happened to the second Scarlet Witch and Vision miniseries. What had been a forgotten if competent series became hot and unaffordable.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Damn. I have WCA 45. First and second Vision/Scarlet Witch minis, too. I always wondered if Daredevil and Iron Fist would sell for much after Netflix.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”