I think a NOM and VAIN clay sculpt may be coming from me.

A place to share and discuss fan made artwork of the Chronicles.

Moderator: danlo

darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

I think a NOM and VAIN clay sculpt may be coming from me.

Post by darthbuzz »

If I mention it in here then I might have to actually get my proverbial finger out my arse.
I think these are 2 of my fave characters. Maybe I have a bit of the Dark Side in me.

These are the NOM I have in my head. Not going to start until I get past the NOM bits in the books though. Whiter like bottom right. Thank you to whoever the artists were.

As for Vain pictures... not seen any pics that match my brains version. Might do him first. A stocky, thick set, all muscle, about 5ft human'ish form with large eyes and a permanent manic grin expression. And a short grey tunic so I don't have to sculpt most the muscles.

If my Baby Yoda is anything to go by, they will look nothing like what I want them to. :roll:
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Re: I think a NOM and VAIN clay sculpt may be coming from me

Post by Cord Hurn »

darthbuzz wrote:If I mention it in here then I might have to actually get my proverbial finger out my arse.
I think these are 2 of my fave characters. Maybe I have a bit of the Dark Side in me.

These are the NOM I have in my head. Not going to start until I get past the NOM bits in the books though. Whiter like bottom right. Thank you to whoever the artists were.

As for Vain pictures... not seen any pics that match my brains version. Might do him first. A stocky, thick set, all muscle, about 5ft human'ish form with large eyes and a permanent manic grin expression. And a short grey tunic so I don't have to sculpt most the muscles.

If my Baby Yoda is anything to go by, they will look nothing like what I want them to. :roll:
Thank you for these Nom pictures, darthbuzz! I've always though Nom was one of Donaldson's more imaginative creations.
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

OK, so I decided to pretty much completely ignore all the pictures above.
The 'rear bending knees' were just too much like Earth creatures and not, imo, of The Land.
What do you think so far? Any suggestions and comments welcome.
I hope you like him and that this is what NOM looked like in your imagination. :P

Last edited by darthbuzz on Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

Video of NOM and subsequent videos on YouTube. First one here:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOeomMVWRZo

No responses so just going to finish NOM :D Covenant said that it didn't look big enough to do what he did so not overly muscular. He gives me the impression of a being with the strongest muscles ever and a being able to use it's power with great speed. Also it is described as having 'gills' on the side of its head so done more than 1. Also that there were feint lines of a skull.

I have started VAIN as well. |V The demondim spawn: artificially manufactured by ur-viles.
More rigid than gutrock, less tractable than bone. Alive to his inbred purpose and cruelly insensate to every other need or value or belief.

I guess a Findail the Appointed will have to be next. The tormented Elohim: Earthpower incarnate.
Amoral, arrogant and self-complete, capable of anything. Sent by his people to redeem the Earth at any cost.
Cannot get Getafix the Druid from Asterix out of my head. :gandalf:

These 2 will be the hardest. Humans suck. 8O

<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

OK, for those that are interested, here is my VAIN so far.
|V

NOM needs a bit of dry brushing with acrylic paints and the pics will follow.
I do feel like I am the only one interested sometimes. 8O

samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

They both look good to me. On Nom my only suggestion is to make ends of hands bulkier. I seem to remember the Sandgorgons able to bust down the wall so they must have some impressive strength in their arm/"hand" area. I do like the back muscles which is the other area that I pictured with strength,

Vain looks good no suggestions there.

As far as no comments. I have found on this site I have to be willing to do things for my own benefit and if I am lucky maybe some people will show interest and possibly even comment. On most things if you look around there are not a ton of comments. Just recently Atomic posted some music and I thought it was good and commented. However, there were just a couple other comments. So if I were in his shoes I may have been discouraged.

I can only speak for myself and say often I do not have time to read everything and then the extra time to comment. I know HLT spent a lot of time researching coronavirus and one of these days I hope to read through it - just way too busy at work. But I imagine he may be discouraged that he spent so much time and little to no comments.

So just keep up the great work - there are probably people out there enjoying it just not posting comments.

Just my two cents.
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

I enjoyed doing him/her/it. I love it's power and the redemption of the intelligent Sandgorgons by TC after their imprisonment, bondage and servitude.

Last edited by darthbuzz on Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

samrw3 wrote:On Nom my only suggestion is to make ends of hands bulkier. I seem to remember the Sandgorgons able to bust down the wall so they must have some impressive strength in their arm/"hand" area. I do like the back muscles which is the other area that I pictured with strength,
:goodpost:

Didn't see your post until now. Doh! :roll:
Yes, bulkier. You actually commented on the unfinished figure. Nom's power is in it's muscles.
Quoting myself... "Covenant said that it didn't look big enough to do what he did so not overly muscular. He gives me the impression of a being with the strongest muscles ever and a being able to use it's power with great speed." They could be the size of a pea and still smash the Sandhold or Revelstone's granite imo.

I will do an ur-vile and a waynhim after Vain and leave Findail till I am really bored. You will just get Getafix from Asterix anyway probably.

Thanks for the reply. Very much appreciated. :biggrin:

Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

darthbuzz wrote:OK, so I decided to pretty much completely ignore all the pictures above.
The 'rear bending knees' were just too much like Earth creatures and not, imo, of The Land.
What do you think so far? Any suggestions and comments welcome.
I hope you like him and that this is what NOM looked like in your imagination. :P

In [i]The One Tree[/i] was wrote:Then the beast itself appeared. Bleached to an albino whiteness by ages of sun, it was difficult to see against the pale desert. But it ran forward with staggering speed and became clear.

It was larger than the Haruchai awaiting it, but it hardly had size enough to contain so much might. For an instant, Linden was struck by the strangeness of its gait. Its knees were back-bent like a bird's, and its feet were wide pads, giving it the ability to traverse sand with immense celerity and force. Then the Sandgorgon was almost upon Hergrom and Ceer; and she perceived other details.

It had arms, but no hands. Its forearms ended in flat flexible stumps like prehensile battering rams-arms formed to contend with sand, to break stone.

And it had no face. Its head was featureless except for the faint ridges of its skull beneath its hide and two covered slits like gills on either side.

It appeared as violent and absolute as a force of nature. Watching it, Linden was no longer conscious of breathing, Her heart might have stopped. Even Covenant with all his wild magic could not have equaled this feral beast.

Together, Hergrom and Ceer stepped out from the Sand-wall, then separated so that the Sandgorgon could not attack them both at once.

The creature shifted its impetus slightly. In a flash of white hide and fury, it charged straight at Hergrom.
As long as the legs look strong and the arms look like they can batter, that qualifies it appearing "as violent and absolute as a force of nature" to me! :ct19:
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

Thanks Cord Hurn. :biggrin:

Here is a update and then my finished'ish VAIN. |V
I should have done pictures of the finished body before adding the raiment. :oops:

"He wore a short grey tunic, and under it all his skin from head to foot was as black as the gaps between the stars."

I think he needs eyelids as well. Not sure where the face came from... it just happened. My first try for 37 years or so.
I like how his hair came out like charcoal and deep black. Belt is a piece of duck tape.

And finally a really low quality one with his bands from the Staff of Law.

I hope you like him. :)
I am going to attempt an Ur-Vile and a Waynhim I think.

- Helen Keller
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I like it.

But "short tunic" need not mean "mini-skirt". Short need only be less than ankle-length.

I'm afraid for him if he bends over. :)
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

I typed 'tunic' in google and looked for Roman/Medieval ones as well and a tunic seems to be generally ending in the thigh region.
Wikipedia says 'A tunic is a garment for the body, usually simple in style, reaching from the shoulders to a length somewhere between the hips and the knees.'
Anyway, I think Vain would have no need for his meat and 2 veg. He is dead. Just needs the muscles needed to complete his mission.
I'm glad SJD decided a modicum of decency is needed.

All I see now is Vain bending over. 8O

Last edited by darthbuzz on Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

I'm not sure - given the ur-Viles' continuous quest for "perfection", can I see them stopping there? Unless of course, because Vain (like them) is also a "made" creature, and given his purpose, would not need reproduce in the traditional manner.

In any case, a hearty Well Done on the sculpture!
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Wolvus na-Morham-in
Servant of the Land

Post by Wolvus na-Morham-in »

Sweet sculptures!

In my mind I pictured Vain without hair...I'm sure someone can correct my errant mental picture.

Other than the hair, that's pretty close to how I "imagine" Vain
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Wolvus na-Morham-in wrote:Sweet sculptures!

In my mind I pictured Vain without hair...I'm sure someone can correct my errant mental picture.

Other than the hair, that's pretty close to how I "imagine" Vain

You sound right about Van being hairless, Wolvus na-Morham-in, as he is Demondim-spawn I would expect him to naturally not have hair. I think you're also right about the sculptures looking sweet; darthbuzz in my opinion does great work! Thank you, Wolvus, for checking out the art gallery and putting in some feedback! Hope you'll feel free to do more of that all over the Watch!

Return to “The Chronicles Art Gallery”