Chr-stmas Eve and Day Fare

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I'm just going to throw a fillet on the braai and we'll do a few salads and things.

It's gonna be 32°C so not slaving over a stove. :D

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

For Christmas we had

Brunch:

Pancakes (blueberry)
Goetta
Eggs

Dinner:

Standing rib roast (cooked slowly)
Fresh green beans
Scalloped Potatoes
Squash
Apple Pie for dessert.

We rarely to anything traditional when it comes to food for Christmas .
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

On Monday I took the leftover standing rib roast and made stroganoff out of it. yumm...
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

To reduce potential confusion on the part of those who may not be following this thread from the prior page, I'll clarify that Menolly made a wonderful stroganoff from the standing rib roast she prepared last week, not the one SB mentioned in the post just before hers.

Using the leftover au jus as part of the stroganoff liquid was a particularly good move.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Avatar wrote:It's gonna be 32°C so not slaving over a stove. :D
Not much cooler here, this year. They predicted winter to start around Easter here.

We had a buffet on Chirstms Eve.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Chr-stmas Eve was spent enjoying seafood all day, courtesy of SD.

Last night's meal is posted on my Facebook page. My posts are set to public, so the link should work.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... =560391364
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

SD and Dam-sel are traveling Chr-stmas day to be with Dam-et, so if we choose to do cheats for the holiday, it will probably be for Eve and brunch. I haven't made one of the French toast casseroles in awhile, so that may be a possibility. Will have to run the idea past SD and Dam-sel...
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I need to up my Christmas Eve dinner game this year after reading this thread. :D
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

One bone reverse seared standing rib roast "aged" seven days, seasoned with garlic herb paste, and cooked to medium rare. Homemade shank bone au jus made with merlot and dark chicken broth. Copycat Arby's horsey sauce. Corn pudding SD triangulated from multiple recipes. Roasted mushrooms. Dam-sel's homemade pumpkin bread.

Slight rest after clearing table. Then, a slice of homemade pumpkin pie.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

My two bone standing rib roast is out of the packaging wrapped in a flour sack towel to "dry age" for five days before I smear it with the fresh rosemary, thyme and garlic paste on Christmas Eve to season overnight. I'll buy the ingredients for the Oxtail and Wine au jus tomorrow and make that ahead.

I plan to make the home made au jus tomorrow. It calls for three pounds of oxtail, but at $12.49/lb that's a bit steep for me. Last year I substituted beef shank cuts, which worked fine for the au jus and at $4.99/lb is much more within my budget.

No Yorkshire pudding this year; we all decided we would rather have homemade garlic mashed potatoes.

We haven't decided on a vegetable yet. I would love to do carrot soufflé, but with the potatoes that may be too much starch. I'll probably save it for Passover.

I'm not planning on desserts; there's been far too many sweets in the schools I've been subbing in the past few weeks. I won't turn down anything Dam-sel decides to do, though. So, we may wind up with a homemade pumpkin pie.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I am not changing my planned menu at this point, but I did realize this year Christmas falls on Shabbos. Many years ago in the bigger cities where Jewish immigrants settled, Chinese restaurants tended to be the only places open on Christmas. So the tradition, or minhag, which for many can become as important as a mitzvah, or commandment, of eating Chinese food on Christmas came to be.

This meme is a humorous look at the minhag.

In the spirit of the Chinese food on Christmas minhag, I offer this recipe.

Scallion Pancake Challah

Post by Avatar »

:LOL:

Eh, it was hot yesterday, and we were lazy, so instead of Christmas Eve we did a Christmas Day dinner. Nothing crazy, I did a couple of lamb shanks for myself in the usual balsamic & red wine, as well as mash and gravy for the both of us, and some roasted vegetables, and the GF had a vegan wellington, and made some vegan yorkshire puddings. Finished off with some dark chocolate and cherry pinwheels, (soaked the cherries in Kirsch first) and then a cigar with some port. :)

--A
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I smoked a whole beef tenderloin, served with a red wine reduction sauce simmered with lots of fresh rosemary. It was phenomenal. Sides included roasted beets served with a balsamic drizzle, roasted carrots with a honey glaze, and then the usual mashed potatoes/gravy, stuffing, deviled eggs, etc. Beers included Goose Island Bourbon County Stout and Founders Frootwood (a tart cherry ale aged in maple bourbon barrels).
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

That sounds amazing.

How many did the tenderloin serve? Or is it destined for a planned over meal?

Tonight I made crockpot beef stroganoff with buttered parsley egg noodles with the planned over standing rib roast.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

The tenderloin is feeding just me and my fiance. We'll be eating on it all week. I've cooked a lot of meat since I started smoking in 2007. This is absolutely the best piece of meat I've ever pulled off the grill or the smoker. And I could easily drink the rosemary/red wine reduction sauce, it's so delicious!
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Yum!

One day we really must arrange a festive meal together. I imagine SD would enjoy trying your home brew, as well.

Post by Avatar »

Zarathustra wrote:And I could easily drink the rosemary/red wine reduction sauce, it's so delicious!
LOL I know that feeling. :D When I first started doing a red wine pan sauce I was totally addicted to it and made it for everything. :D

--A

Return to “The Galley”