A Tale of Two Cities

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

A Tale of Two Cities

Post by SerScot »

Just finished that for the second time. Wow that's a hard story. Does anyone think Dickens was creating in Carton the perfect Maytr? I found the scene where he walked around Paris with "I am the way and the life" running through his head oddly reminicent of the garden of Gesthemane.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Re: A Tale of Two Cities

Post by duchess of malfi »

SerScot wrote:Just finished that for the second time. Wow that's a hard story. Does anyone think Dickens was creating in Carton the perfect Maytr? I found the scene where he walked around Paris with "I am the way and the life" running through his head oddly reminicent of the garden of Gesthemane.
My all time favorite work of Dickens.

I also believe that Dickens was attempting to create a martyr - a Christlike figure who sacrifices himself for others because of love with no hope of Earthly reward other than the well being of the loved ones.

Now I have to go reread that book. :wink: :)
Love as thou wilt.

SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

DoM,

The other thing I wondered about was how harsh Dicken's was toward the French Revolution. He was equally harsh on the French aristocracy's abuses that lead to the FR and didn't pull any punches regarding those abuses. But he comes on so strong toward the mob mentality that ruled the days of The Terror. I wonder if anyone in the more "Revolutionary" camp would criticize Dicken's portrayal of the Jacobins?
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I purchased this book earlier in the year, and have yet to read it. I am looking forward to it.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

To my great shame, I just can't stand Dickens. Something in the way he writes itself just makes all my neurons misfire in painful ways.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Considering how unambitious, mostly aimless, and often drunken Sydney Carton is during Part 2 of this story, it was amazing to me that he becomes such a heroic and decisive character in the story's third section, saving the lives of seven other people with his self-sacrifice. I won't soon forget him!

Return to “General Literature Discussion”