Eternals

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Eternals

Post by Fist and Faith »

I know not the most popular of the movies. But I'm such a fan of them from waaaay back. It was great stuff. Visually beyond belief. The fights incredible. Ikaris is everything he should be. Gilgamesh could have handled more, but whatever. Makkari is awesome.

Very different take on the whole Celestials/Eternals/Deviants story than in the comics. Which I have no problem with, but surprised. What's really going on; who knew what; who did what... All good stuff.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I have not been hearing good things.

I have consigned this one to a Red Box rental.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Did any of the people that wrote the movie even look at one of the comics?
Or did they just take the names and make something new?
I'd prefer if they just made something new with new names and not rip off and piss on the comics that people know.

I saw the movie and I had no idea what I was watching and it felt really dumb. I didn't care about any of the characters or what was going on.
I enjoyed my popcorn more and I'm not really a fan of popcorn.

I always enjoyed the Eternals in the comics though.

Not so much the Jack Kirby runs (sorry Jack).
I think he was building a separate reality from the Marvel Universe and I didn't like it.

I did like it when Thor interacted with them in the Thor run in issues 290ish to 300.
I liked Sersi in the Avengers in the 90's (I even liked the jackets).
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Sersi vs Exodus is an awesome battle!

And yeah, the Eternals/Celestials Saga up to Thor 300 was part of my introduction to comics. Avengers 200 and Dark Phoenix Saga, all in 1980.

I think the Celestials are badly written in the comics. Nothing ever happens. Always standing in judgment. But nobody knows why, and they don't have any plan. Nothing ever comes of it. I like that the movie had things spelled out more. Yeah, I prefer the origin of the Eternals and Deviants in the comics, but whatever.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Did any of the people that wrote the movie even look at one of the comics?
Or did they just take the names and make something new?
I'd prefer if they just made something new with new names and not rip off and piss on the comics that people know.

I saw the movie and I had no idea what I was watching and it felt really dumb. I didn't care about any of the characters or what was going on.
I enjoyed my popcorn more and I'm not really a fan of popcorn.

I always enjoyed the Eternals in the comics though.

Not so much the Jack Kirby runs (sorry Jack).
I think he was building a separate reality from the Marvel Universe and I didn't like it.

I did like it when Thor interacted with them in the Thor run in issues 290ish to 300.
I liked Sersi in the Avengers in the 90's (I even liked the jackets).
Just broke down and watched Eternals via Disney plus and had a similar experience sans the popcorn.

I did finally become slightly invested in the characters by the middle of the third act so it wasn't a complete waste of my time. I just didn't agree or understand what the film makers were attempting to do. It just felt very off.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Not sure what you guys mean.

SPOILERS

The Celestials reproduce by using worlds as ...what... eggs. Celestial embryo goes into the planet. They put Deviants and Eternals on the planet to ensure life on the planet reached a certain level. Which is the energy the Celestial needs to be born. Which, of course, destroys the world.

The Eternals have their memories erased when it's all over, and are put on another planet to do it all again. I guess the memories are more blocked than erased, because they sometimes start popping out. But it's believed to be some sort of mental illness.

Ajak didn't like any of this, and decided to rebel. When she told Ikarus, he remained loyal to the Celestials, and, eventually, killed Ajak. When the others learned what the real story was, most decided to try to save the Earth. Which meant taking on Ikarus. They fight. Ikarus kicks ass. He's conflicted by his love for Sersi. Sersi does her thing. And Bob's your uncle.

I see it as a pretty straightforward story. It just took a while for the Eternals, and us, to learn the truth.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Fist and Faith wrote:Not sure what you guys mean.

SPOILERS

The Celestials reproduce by using worlds as ...what... eggs. Celestial embryo goes into the planet. They put Deviants and Eternals on the planet to ensure life on the planet reached a certain level. Which is the energy the Celestial needs to be born. Which, of course, destroys the world.

The Eternals have their memories erased when it's all over, and are put on another planet to do it all again. I guess the memories are more blocked than erased, because they sometimes start popping out. But it's believed to be some sort of mental illness.

Ajak didn't like any of this, and decided to rebel. When she told Ikarus, he remained loyal to the Celestials, and, eventually, killed Ajak. When the others learned what the real story was, most decided to try to save the Earth. Which meant taking on Ikarus. They fight. Ikarus kicks ass. He's conflicted by his love for Sersi. Sersi does her thing. And Bob's your uncle.

I see it as a pretty straightforward story. It just took a while for the Eternals, and us, to learn the truth.
Understood the plot all along the way. The basic story wasn't the issue with me. It was the execution.
I hadn't had a chance to get to the theater and missed Eternals and a Shang-chi so I decided to catch up watching them back to back. 2 completely different experiences. Shang-chi was a lively thoroughly entertaining adventure while by comparison Eternals was an overlong plod that spent far too much time being introspective. The first 2/3s of the film had me commenting about how the Deviant cgi was sub par. That's not a good time for me. But like I said it did pick up near the end.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Ah. I misunderstood what you meant by not understanding what they were trying to do.

I enjoyed Shang Chi. One of my favorite comics, So I was looking forward to it. Very different, but I really liked it. Nice to see Razor Fist and Death Dealer.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

What purpose did the Deviants serve?
Why were they just beasts?
It's like the Eternals were just game wardens.

I didn't like Shang Chi too much either.
I was open to the story because I never read any of the comics and I love kung-fu movies so I was looking forward to it but....I was bored.
I think once it's established that it isn't a truely evil bad guy but just someone who is good but misguided they lose me.

There was even an element of that in the latest Spider-man that I won't spoil.

Just give me an absolute evil bastard who is evil because he or she just loves being an evil bastard!

https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Eternals....I just couldn't care about any of those characters. Also, some of them are, well, stereotypes--the Indian guy becomes a Bollywood star? *yawn* Also, what kind of a dick makes a 13-year-old who never ages?

Since enough spoilers are out and it has been a sufficient amount of time, I can say this: that awkward moment when partial birth abortion saves the world. erm...okay. Sure.

Props to Makkari, though--she showed us what a speedster can really do. But why was she retired on the ship? She wasn't out in the world?

Ultimately, the biggest fan of Eternals will be Thor 2: The Dark World--it is no longer the worst MCU movie.

Hooray--Dane Whitman, the Black Knight. Oh, and that disembodied voice that cautioned him in the end credits--that was Blade.

edit/add: at this point, the MCU has far too many unanswered questions and the internal inconsistencies are beginning to pile up.

The Eternals showed up at "the dawn of human civilization" in 5000BC? What about the 5,000 years of human civilization before that?

The Celestials existed before the Singularities? I thought those were created when the Universe sprang into existence? Didn't they once use those as their tools? Why did they quit using them?

The Sorcerers did not show up when the Red Skull starting using the Tesseract, an object which would have definitly blipped on their radar? They knew where it was stashed and just decided to leave it alone rather than keeping a close eye on it? They did not show up when the Bifrost linked to Earth again for the first time in over a millennium out in the New Mexico desert? Really?

Sorry--not sorry--but the moment the Avengers started tinkering with time travel the TVA would have shown up to shut that down--the risk of creating variant timelines would have been too great.

Dormammu should know that the Stones are all destroyed by now, but he is still keeping his end of the bargain to leave Earth's dimension alone? Bullshit.

Thanos' main goal was "collect all the Stones", is shown to have the Mind Stone early on, and a) isn't actively using it and b) allows it to be used by someone else? Bullshit.

The governments of the world decide that locking up enhanced individuals is better than conscripting them into government service? Bullshit.

SHIELD/HYDRA did not continue using Zola's Tesseract-powered weapons? Disintegrator guns? (technically not "disintegration" but "sent elsewhere") Bullshit.

Why, exactly, did they have to build a contraption to open and hold open a portal in Avengers? The Tesseract could have done that on its own.

Ego stated specifically that he was a Celestial. What, did his emergence go wrong and the others avoided him after that? Why would he think he was alone? He didn't bother looking for them? They never came back to look for him?

Okay, let's assume that everyone in the world forgets that Parker is Spider-Man. Who is that kid in the security footage going into Happy Hogan's apartment? Who are those other people, who are obviously enhanced individuals, with him? Did all the Internet footage get erased, as well? Both Mysterio's and Jameson's videos should still be uploaded for anyone to view.

They are really starting to paint themselves into a corner here. The MCU probably has ten years left before the overall project becomes too unweildy and collapses into its end.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I loved it .. actually enjoyed both Shang Chi and Eternals .. thought they were both fun .. a few things were sub par but didn't affect my cinematic enjoyment overall.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to “Flicks”