Lost in Space (Netflix) as a serious sci-fi reboot

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

In this case, no news is just no news

www.digitalspy.com/tv/lost-in-space/fea ... ler-robot/

In the past, Netflix have sneakily commissioned multiple seasons of shows without telling us as with Stranger Things so more Robinson adventures could have already been greenlit on the quiet.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Well yeah .. I hope so
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling ๐Ÿ˜Š :D ๐Ÿ˜Š

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Spoiler
If they could convert poop into fuel in a few hours, merely because it was organic matter, then they could have converted trees into fuel in a few hours more.
I did say earlier I enjoyed the show anyway. But it's fair to say the enjoyment does not arise from a tightly woven plot. And there are some good characters, but that's not really the show's strong suit. It's definitely the situational drama that makes the show. It's a soap. Which is an important point, because the show's continuing success therefore depends on maintaining the drama with more and more situations. It'll succeed or fail based on whether it ever leads anywhere or if it just becomes Gilligan's Island.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:LOLS:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

We got Netflix a month or two ago, and I just found this show and watched the first season. I really liked it after the first episode or two. I wasn't a fan of having the same character trapped in the first two episodes, it was a bit too much exploitation. I was worried it was going to be a running plot-line, lol.

My favorite character is Don. I love that guy. I also like Dr. Smith a lot, although I have to wonder why the hell she does all the things that she does. I guess that was true of the original Dr. Smith in the original show, though.

Spoiler
I mean, sometimes, or a lot of the times, she just does things to be a dick and not because it makes any sense at all. For instance, in the second episode, she screws over Don and steals the flare gun just so she can run off into a shards of glass storm by herself on a hostile planet. WTF? That makes no sense at all. There's being a dick, and then there's just being a complete idiot.
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Farm Ur-Ted wrote:We got Netflix a month or two ago, and I just found this show and watched the first season. I really liked it after the first episode or two. I wasn't a fan of having the same character trapped in the first two episodes, it was a bit too much exploitation. I was worried it was going to be a running plot-line, lol.

My favorite character is Don. I love that guy. I also like Dr. Smith a lot, although I have to wonder why the hell she does all the things that she does. I guess that was true of the original Dr. Smith in the original show, though.

Spoiler
I mean, sometimes, or a lot of the times, she just does things to be a dick and not because it makes any sense at all. For instance, in the second episode, she screws over Don and steals the flare gun just so she can run off into a shards of glass storm by herself on a hostile planet. WTF? That makes no sense at all. There's being a dick, and then there's just being a complete idiot.
I didn't like her much either. Maybe because of what you described. I'm laughing now though remembering that in the TV show Dr. Smith was originally a dick then became an idiot.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
Farm Ur-Ted wrote:We got Netflix a month or two ago, and I just found this show and watched the first season. I really liked it after the first episode or two. I wasn't a fan of having the same character trapped in the first two episodes, it was a bit too much exploitation. I was worried it was going to be a running plot-line, lol.

Spoiler
I didn't like her much either. Maybe because of what you described. I'm laughing now though remembering that in the TV show Dr. Smith was originally a dick then became an idiot.

Yeah, lol, I feel like either we don't know what is motivating Dr. Smith, or she just suffers from OCDD-Obsessive Compulsive Dick Disorder.
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I think Smith is true to character .. he, the original was always a bit of a dick .. adds an interesting element to the entire show though.

I really enjoyed the first season but havent seen any more .. dont have Netflix :(
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Saw this in an article on June 23.
There is still no release date for Season 2 of Lost in Space. But Toby Stephens disclosed that the trailer is dropping fairly soon. Though even when we will get to see what fate has in store for the Robinsons which is still a big mystery. But at least we can hope that we will get at least a taste of whats to come sometime in the near future.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Season 2 is out on Dec 24!!! Trailer below

https://youtu.be/Zdgt-JzJ6b0
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I'm 4 episodes into the second season. So far really good.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

SoulBiter wrote:I'm 4 episodes into the second season. So far really good.
Same here. I agree.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Well one more episode to go in Season 2. I hope they make another season. This has been a good ride!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

It's good, but it still has the same jarring plot discontinuities. Also, somehow Toby Stephens seemed ... off.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

wayfriend wrote:It's good, but it still has the same jarring plot discontinuities. Also, somehow Toby Stephens seemed ... off.
Its been a fun show to watch. What did you see about Toby Stephens that seemed off? I thought he was consistent throughout the series.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

He just seemed to look different in a subtle but mildly unpleasing way. I can't really say anything specific, but it kept catching my attention at odd times. Maybe because I got used to Stephens in Black Sails. Not a biggie.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Warning! Season 1 spoilers.

I have finally finished season 1, beginning S2. It's a hell of a ride and the season finale was brutal! So stressful.

I thought the show had some plot holes, but not the same ones you guys are griping about. It was Dr Smith. Her shenanigans are so unlikely, they can only happen in a work of fiction.

How the hell did she know Angela would find the gun?

How did she know that the dino-thingie would go for the moths? Surely there are moths everywhere. If alien-dinos sense them from miles away, why focus on those?

How did she know that Will would (or could) destroy the robot?

The plot of the entire first season is driven by her machinations, but for it to work she has to be unrealistically effective at manipulation and unreasonably prescient.

One unrelated plot hole that bothered me: why do they take time to make spears when they have multiple machines that can print actual guns??? They are facing unknown predators with makeshift weapons, even going into a cave full of apex predators, and no one thinks of making a fucking gun? Are you kidding me?

The other issues are fairly easy to explain. The "alien egg" came from the alien ship, which they just left, at the command of Dr Smith who controls the robot. It's the power supply that Maureen and Smith found. Obviously, Smith told the robot to bring it, thinking it would be valuable/useful, since this technology is why humans are able to leave earth and the reason why aliens attacked in the first place. That's one hell of a bargaining chip!

Not all organic material is the same. The waste recycler recycles waste, not trees. It's like saying, "oil is made out of organic matter, so why don't we burn trees in our gas tank?" Or, poop can be fertilizer. So why don't we fertilize our crops with trees? On so on. I don't know the chemistry of all this, but I do know that organic matter can undergo chemical changes in the right conditions to make it a viable fuel source in other conditions . . . but not *all* conditions.

Smith left chicken-guy because she knew he wouldn't leave Angela, who was just slowing them down.
Joe Biden โ€ฆ putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Season 3 ( the last one) just came out on Netflix.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I loved it .. season 3 and all of it.

Im sad that there will be no more seasons - I loved the original Lost In Space as a kid and its been a great revisiting for me.

I wish there was more, but alas I know that's it.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Skyweir wrote:I loved it .. season 3 and all of it.

Im sad that there will be no more seasons - I loved the original Lost In Space as a kid and its been a great revisiting for me.

I wish there was more, but alas I know that's it.
Me too Sky! I 100% loved it and hated for it to end.

Return to โ€œTV Showsโ€