Thomas Covenant and Audio Books

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

Wow, amazed to find that not only are there the John Chancer 1-6 and the LC AATE by Tim Gerard Reynolds, which I am listening to at the moment but there are Scott 'Audio Covenant' Brick ones and LC by Anton Lesser. 8O

I am not able to find most on Audible by Amazon though. They would be free to listen to in in my local library here in London, England. I will give Scott's and Anton's a listen and after finishing the 10 I have and will let you know which I think is best.
We are very fortune. Star wars is only available in 1 version (the original radio drama... as far as I know).

Last edited by darthbuzz on Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

Audio Covenant, I have listened to 3 different peoples versions of the audio books and I have to say, even though I only got through the 'What has gone before' bit in Runes, I am liking your work the best. Your pronunciations of names, races, etc., are just like mine. Like an English man's.
Top job sir. ;) :D

I am listening to your last chronicles and have realised that actor Tim Russ who plays Tuvok in Star Trek Voyager sounds just like you. And like weyfriend said, the Haruchai voice is the best... and most like the Vulcan.

Just out of interest, at the start of Runes you mention that a 'cow' was slaughtered to give the blood smeared over Covenants house when it was actually a 'horse'. Any reason for the change?

<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Hunchback Jack »

The Power That Preserves, narrated by Scott Brick, is now available on audible.

https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Power-Th ... B085ZLZMPZ

HBJ
Hunchback Jack
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Hunchback Jack »

darthbuzz wrote:Just out of interest, at the start of Runes you mention that a 'cow' was slaughtered to give the blood smeared over Covenants house when it was actually a 'horse'. Any reason for the change?
When an audiobook is released at the same time as the print edition, the audiobook may need to be recorded before final revisions on the text are complete. Thus, narrators may read a slightly earlier version of the text, resulting in minor changes in wording between the audio and print editions.

So perhaps the blood originally came from a cow in an earlier draft, but changed to a horse in the final version.

HBJ
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

darthbuzz wrote:Audio Covenant, I have listened to 3 different peoples versions of the audio books and I have to say, even though I only got through the 'What has gone before' bit in Runes, I am liking your work the best. Your pronunciations of names, races, etc., are just like mine. Like an English man's.
Top job sir. ;) :D
Having met with Scott Brick at the 2011 Elohimfest and heard him discuss his process of working with SRD to optimize his pronunciation of SRD's "made up words", the way Scott say it is as close as possible to what SRD intends, based on where SRD derived the roots of his neologisms.

That this matches the pronunciation we have mentally used speaks well for how we hear these words in our head.

OTOH, if it doesn't match..."Shannara, Shannara."
:hide:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In StephenRDonaldson.com News wrote:The first Thomas Covenant trilogy in audio: widely available at last! Plus other Covenant audio news.

After many unforeseeable (and indeed inexplicable) delays, all caused by an unreliable distributor, Scott Brick's recordings of "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever" are finally available from outlets like Amazon, Audible, and--if I'm not mistaken--iTunes. Later, the readings will become available from a much wider range of outlets, including libraries.

For those who don't know the history: for 35+ years, Ballantine Books had no interest at all in doing anything to support these books; so Scott leased the rights, made the recordings himself, and sold them through his own outlet, brickbybrickaudiobooks.com. Then, at about this time last year, someone at Ballantine woke up to the growing market for audio books. That led to an extension of Scott's license which enabled him to "go wide."

His recordings of "The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" are still available from his outlet. Eventually, they will also reach wider distribution. But his immediate goal is to get his reading of "Fatal Revenant" (Book Two of "The Last Chronicles") onto Amazon et al. As a particularly stupid example of publisher-think, Penguin licensed Books One, Three, and Four for audio, but refused to license Book Two--until Scott stepped in. At present, "Fatal Revenant" can still be found only on brickbybrickaudiobooks.com.

4/11/20
Treasure Buries
Servant of the Land

Post by Treasure Buries »

Working my way through the books again and considering buying second chronicles from Scott Brick's website with 20% promo code good through end of year. Still very pricey for the three books even with that though. Not sure I can afford.

I am keen to know about any other versions which may exist. I heard something about a UK Audible version? Was that a different production? Was it good? Is it available in any way now?

I have Audible (US) and got the first Scott Brick read trilogy that way, but frustratingly the second series is not on there currently. I have enough tokens and everything but it just isn't there, and the cost of buying it from his site is so high.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hmmm, just saw this on SRD's site from earlier this year, dunno if it helps:
After many unforeseeable (and indeed inexplicable) delays, all caused by an unreliable distributor, Scott Brick's recordings of "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever" are finally available from outlets like Amazon, Audible, and--if I'm not mistaken--iTunes. Later, the readings will become available from a much wider range of outlets, including libraries.

For those who don't know the history: for 35+ years, Ballantine Books had no interest at all in doing anything to support these books; so Scott leased the rights, made the recordings himself, and sold them through his own outlet, brickbybrickaudiobooks.com. Then, at about this time last year, someone at Ballantine woke up to the growing market for audio books. That led to an extension of Scott's license which enabled him to "go wide."

His recordings of "The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" are still available from his outlet. Eventually, they will also reach wider distribution. But his immediate goal is to get his reading of "Fatal Revenant" (Book Two of "The Last Chronicles") onto Amazon et al. As a particularly stupid example of publisher-think, Penguin licensed Books One, Three, and Four for audio, but refused to license Book Two--until Scott stepped in. At present, "Fatal Revenant" can still be found only on brickbybrickaudiobooks.com.

4/11/20
Also, the Watch has a Discord: https://discord.gg/hZkCbje

Just PM me here with your user name so I can assign the correct role to you, otherwise you won't be able to do anything.

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

StephenRDonaldson.com News wrote:FATAL REVENANT audio book--GOOD news for a change

Finally, FATAL REVENANT, Book Two of "The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant," is available as an audio book from Amazon/Audible. I can't begin to describe all the bureaucratic hoops the reader, Scott Brick, has been forced to jump through. But now the first three and the last four "Covenant" audio books are for sale from Amazon/Audible. I'm told that "The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" as audio books should be released (comparatively?) soon.

7/13/21
Kudos to Scott Brick for working his ass off.
Cams
Servant of the Land

Post by Cams »

The Runes of the Earth is on Audible UK, abridged and narrated by Anton Lesser. No other TC books are available.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Nice 👌
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

StephenRDonaldson.com News wrote:"The Second Chronicles" audiobooks: Finally!

After months or years of delays and misinformation, The Wounded Land will be released by Amazon/Audible on July 5, 2022. The next two books will be made available at specific intervals thereafter. Only God and the distributer know what those intervals will be.

I'm sorry this has taken so long. Please accept my regrets. None of it has been under my control.

5/18/22
Presumably this is Scott Brick's recording. In which case, the news is that it is finally for sale on Audible, as it's only been available on Brick's website, which will make it much more accessible to many.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Cams wrote:The Runes of the Earth is on Audible UK, abridged and narrated by Anton Lesser. No other TC books are available.
Yes! I too subscribe to audible and cannot find any SRD books apart from the above which is very abridged. Scott Brick audible books cannot be purchased in the UK. I keep looking.

Anton Lesser reads some of the Malazan books as well. I'm not overly enjoying his readings.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”