Star Trek: Continues

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

aTOMiC
Lord

Star Trek: Continues

Post by aTOMiC »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Continues
www.startrekcontinues.com/

Imagine its June 1969 in an alternate universe almost identical to ours.

Star Trek's third season has wrapped and everyone in the cast and crew knows the end has arrived and they say their farewells.
Every last last member of the production staff, including the series creator, have all found other work and have moved on with their lives.

Unexpectedly NBC and Paramount Studios decide they want to produce one more season of Star Trek but they don't want to have to pay what it would cost to bring back the original production crew so they decide to completely re staff from the ground up. All the sets, props and costumes are the same but all of the on screen character's roles are now being played by other, less expensive, actors. Its a huge gamble by the studio that the audience will refuse to embrace the new actors but they are counting on the idea that fans would rather have one more season of their favorite show no matter what it takes to get it.

This is Star Trek: Continues. It takes the scenario above and does its best to show you what it really would have been like.

It is a bold fan produced web series that for all intents and purposes continues Star Trek the Original Series where it left off at the end of Season 3 and I must confess the results are remarkable.

The sets, costumes, makeup, props, music, lighting, effects, look and feel of TOS are nearly identical. Its rather amazing. The only major deviation is that the characters are being played by different actors and to be fair I had a hard time getting used to the difference given that the performances are being portrayed against a backdrop that is so convincingly authentic.

I've seen many fan productions and frankly they appear to have wildly varying levels of professionalism. The sets might look good but the F/X are sub par or the acting is poor etc. Star Trek: Continues features a level of competence that, though not fully professional, comes about as close as I've ever seen.

I'm not saying the series doesn't have flaws, it does but it earns respect for being noticeably competent and genuinely earnest.

The production is benefited by the presence of Chris Doohan, James Doohan's son who bears a slight resemblance to his father and gives his version of Montgomery Scott an added sprinkle of authenticity.

I haven't watch every episode but the more I see the more I am drawn in.

FYI. :biggrin:
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Never watched that one - I'll check it out. I was really into one fan-made series for a while - Hidden Frontier, which was set around DS9 era and storylines. They had some really bad green screen that did improve a bit over the years, and some of the actors were better than others - but it's one of those things where if they'd been located closer, I probably would have tried to join. They were the sort of geeks that were probably a lot of fun to hang out with.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Think I saw something recently about these guys. I can't do TOS anymore though...watching it is almost literally painful. :D

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Aside from DS9 all of Star Trek generally sucks. The recent reboot movies were okay but a) long-time fans mostly hate them, b) they retconned all previous TV shows and movies out of existence (except for Enterprise, which took place before the events of those movies), and c) the studio is not continuing the movie plotline beyond the movies as far as I know.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

You have to be a TOS fan to appreciate the effort here.
You can't watch Continues hoping to see changes, re-imaginings and improvements. You have to be able to appreciate the dedication that is poured into the production to recapture the unaltered feel of the original show.

:-)

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Okay. I've watched all of the available episodes and I now have to confess that I'm a full on fan.
I watched not only the completed episodes but have watched interviews and behind the scenes videos. Interviews with Vic Mignogna have revealed the motivations he had for taking on such a herculean task and his efforts have been rewarded with genuine success.

The more I watched the more I accepted what I was seeing as canon. The actors performances have grown on me (especially Chris Doohan as Scotty), though some of the guest actors and supporting roles didn't quite match the level of talent the series regulars generally deliver. I can't say enough about the dedication to every possible detail to make these episodes as authentically TOS as possible. Even the camera placement, dolly motion, focus, lighting and mood is painstakingly crafted to look and feel like the genuine article. Who on earth has the ability to get these kinds of results in their spare time with all volunteer cast and crew? Its just remarkable.

I've always approached watching fan films with a large amount of skepticism and I am accustomed to watching groan inducing performances by fans with no acting experience, sets and props that are well intentioned but fall short of the goal, stories and scripts that are under developed and f/x that, though impressive for an amateur learning new software, only barely manages conjure up the intended images. I'm no stranger to how films are made and volunteer productions take an enormous amount of time and effort to produce films of even the lowest of ambitions.

Star Trek Continues somehow succeeds where others have struggled and in a most impressive way.

In a very real way I feel like I've been watching Star Trek and that's no easy feat. :-)

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

When I get a chance I will take a look. I have watched a number of fan fiction films. Some of them were decent, some were horrible. But its fun to watch them.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Just watched part 1 of "To boldly go". Love it!!! Highly recommend!!
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

SoulBiter wrote:Just watched part 1 of "To boldly go". Love it!!! Highly recommend!!

I just finished watching it as well.

Aside from the opening scene that reminded me of a moment more suited to STNG I thought the episode was possibly the best that had been made to this point. Its a shame episode 10 will end the series but it promises to be remarkable given how part one sets the plot into motion. :biggrin:

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I just binge watched all of these. Any TOS fan will love these. I really love the way they ended the series!!!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Oh wow this sounds amazing .. will look for it.

Very excite :biggrin:
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I just stumbled across this online.
I like it!
I think they did a good job and really kept true to the show.
It's better than anything currently by CBS or Paramount by far, imo.

I miss the sound effects from the Original so I'm loving hearing all that again.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I just started watching this. Only two episodes in, but it is fantastic.
I rewatched the whole Original Series to prepare for 'Continues'.
So far it looks like they did a great job in capturing everything lovers of the ordinal series love about it!
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Drew!

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

drew wrote:I just started watching this. Only two episodes in, but it is fantastic.
I rewatched the whole Original Series to prepare for 'Continues'.
So far it looks like they did a great job in capturing everything lovers of the ordinal series love about it!
I loved this continuation!!

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”