Cail's big honking Rush thread

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

After Neil's death was announced, Cail and I commented back and forth a bit on FB. I remarked that, were it not for him and this thread, I wouldn't have the appreciation for Neil and Rush that I have, and I offered to post any comments/reactions he had here to this thread.
From the ether beyond Kevin's Watch, Cail wrote:Firstly I'd like to thank Don for offering to post this. It should come as no surprise to anyone who's read this thread that Rush was a tremendously important force in my early life. In addition, my rediscovery of the band, both from Zarathustra's posts and from the work I put into this thread really knocked me over as well.

Also, of all the things I wrote here, what's in this thread is what I'm proudest of. It's not the wittiest, most creative, most controversial, or most thoughtful thing(s) I've written, but it was a project. It was actually being like a working writer, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Anyway.....

I got a text from a friend yesterday afternoon that said, "Peart's dead?"

I frantically started Googling and heard myself saying, "nononononononononononononono". I found the Rolling Stone article and the wind went out of me. I dropped my glasses, put my head in my hands, and sobbed.

A man I never met had that much impact on my life, and had been such a huge part of my teens and 20s, so much so that it's not hyperbole to say that I wouldn't have made it through those years without Rush. Whether it was Spirit of Radio, Subdivisions, Analog Kid, or Tom Sawyer, Neil's lyrics spoke directly to me at a time that I desperately needed them.

Going back through this thread, a couple of things stand out. Holy crap, I started this 7-1/2 years ago. Now as then, I find it interesting how my perspective(s) on the music and the band have changed. Even when Rush was in the wilderness for me, I still loved and appreciated that they still existed. But, as time does, I find that my perspective on the music and lyrics has shifted yet again, and 51-year-old me takes different things from Rush than 44-year-old me did at the outset. And, as documented, that take was dramatically different than mid-20s or mid-teens me.

It's a testament though to the magic of Rush. I've grown out of so much music that was once vital to me. Rush, though it may be different songs and/or albums, has remained as one of - if not the most - relevant bands to me throughout my life.

I still love me some Test for Echo. Grace Under Pressure and Counterparts are still fresh, wonderful albums to explore. Clockwork Angels doesn't get as much play as it did when it was new, but I stand by most of what I wrote about it, particularly The Garden. It's the perfect "Final Rush Song". They went out on top, and that pleases me.

I cringe a bit at my characterization of Neil toward the end of the thread, but I don't think I'm wrong. The fact that he may have been already suffering from symptoms of Glioblastoma tempers things a bit. For those who aren't aware, it's a pretty lousy way to go, and his last months couldn't have been pleasant.

At any rate, this is the end. Ged and Alex may make more music together, and I hope they do. They may even tour with a different drummer, and I hope they do that too. I'd hope that they mine their extensive catalog and roast some old Rush chestnuts. But it won't be Rush, and it won't have Neil's signature writing or drumming.

And to me, that's a tremendous loss that I'll be processing for quite some time.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

When I heard the news, one of the first things I thought was I wish Cail were here, so thank you for posting that.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Indeed. Thank you DLB.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I have wanted to post something here, but just haven't been able to muster the words. I've lost my two favorite drummers recently (my little brother, gone in October, played drums in my old band). I put all my energy for eulogies into my brother's death, and didn't have the heart for this one. Couldn't do it justice.

I will say I'm glad Rush went out on top, on their own terms. Despite all the negative things I said about Neil near the end of this thread, I'm sad that he didn't get to enjoy more of his well-earned retirement. He seemed to be looking forward to that even more than he enjoyed being in Rush. And then shortly after quitting, he got sick. That really sucks. It definitely would have topped my "things that sucked in 2019" list if he'd died a week earlier. (Well, number 2.)

Few humans get to live the kind of life the Neil Peart carved out for himself. We all knew that Rush was done, so this doesn't hit me as hard as it might have if he'd passed in the middle of their peak (like, say, Chris Cornell did). Neil did what he set out to do, and I expected nothing else from him. So it's hard to feel bad for a man who achieved so much (and had no intention of doing anything else, AFAIK).

I feel something different. I look at Rush sales increasing 2000% after his death. I'm reading texts from my son* saying that he's a on huge Rush kick lately and asking me which tours I took him on as a child. [Answer: ever tour since R30 in 2004, except the last one, which we all missed.] He was the kid at the shows that was so into the music--even at 3--that the old farts in the audience would smile at and give a thumbs up. Rush has a *legacy.* Neil has a legacy. They will be remembered by millions for longer than we can guess. Maybe as long as rock and roll itself. I am proud of my favorite band, and grateful for all they have given me--hell, what they have given humanity.

*(with whom I've had a strained relationship after my divorce last year; we're just now getting back on track, so texts like that mean everything to me)
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Dlb - thanks for posting that.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Alex and Geddy joined Matt Stone (one of the creators of South Park) and Primus at Red Rocks for the 25th anniversary of South Park.

This will be broadcast in full on Comedy Central on August 13th.

https://youtu.be/lel5JGJfwqQ
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I tried watching it, but it was just too painful. Geddy's voice was gone 7 years ago or more. It hasn't improved with age. The nostalgia factor isn't worth it. My quarter-century experience of seeing Rush live has always been one of superior performance unlike any other band on the planet. Now they're not even close to being as good as a shitty cover band. No thanks. That's not for me.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Z, I also watched it, and tend to agree, to a point.

I honestly do not know how much advanced planning was given to Alex and Geddy prior to the event, nor do I know how much either of them have kept their hand in by practicing alone or together. If Geddy has not been vocalizing since Neil passed, at his age he would probably need a good six months to a year of dedicated vocalizations of at least three hours a day to retrain his voice to the level it was seven years ago. More if he wants to improve it further.

Right now I believe for them it was nostalgia and sharing in the fun of celebrating another Canadian icon. I haven't heard of anything more than that being in the works. I seriously doubt intense practice went into this appearance. Let them enjoy their moment; we can choose to acknowledge them while privately thinking others can indulge in the nostalgia.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

This past Tuesday, I was at the event in Nashville at which Alex made an appearance. In the short Q&A session, he said he and Geddy started rehearsing "a couple of months" before the South Park event. Also, they will be appearing at the upcoming tribute concerts for Taylor Hawkins, and they're rehearsing for those also.

I agree about Geddy's voice. Also noticed that Alex's bends were a little flat.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I missed the Taylor Hawkins tribute stream, so I've been catching fan uploads here and there. This strikes me as a much better performance than the one at Red Rocks.

https://youtu.be/WdOmCx8d-0w

Return to “Vespers”