A Funny Snippet

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

A Funny Snippet

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Hey everyone.

I was browsing old files in my computer and found this short story snippet I made sometime. I decided to share. It can stand alone or be the opening for something longer. Hope you enjoy.

Joan Covenant, the Gandalfa

Joan looked at her latest therapist and tried to be positive. This one was going to solve all her problems. This one would be the one. It was all going to work itself out. Somehow. She took a deep breath. "You're going to help me to get over my relationship with Thomas Covenant. I want to be in control of my life. I am going to turn a new leaf in my life and start living my life again and be happy." She bit her lip, hard and tried to make the smile real.

“You're not feeling it yet, are you, Joan?"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'm trying, alright?"

"That's what I'm here for, Joan. To help you try and try and go on trying."

"Ahem." She wasn't sure how she liked where this was going. Was he going to be another disappointment? Still... she tried to believe in him, tried to be the blank canvas, or was it clay, for him like her last therapist told her to be.

"So you want to get over your relationship with your ex-husband Thomas Covenant. Please close your eyes and feel your relationship for me. What do you see?"

"Erm... hoom... a rotting hand, his rotting hand reaching out to grasp me?"

"Excellent! And, what does the hand symbolize for you?"

"Why, him not letting me go, and infecting me with his disgusting disease?"

"Well, that's not very helpful. How about you imagine pulling sharply away? The hand IS rotting. That surely symbolizes how frail his hold on you has become. You can break its hold for me, can't you?"

"That's disgusting. I'm not going to imagine his fingers breaking off and falling off on my dress."

"No, of course not, Joan. Of course not. Ahem... are you seeing anything else? Anything symbolic?" he asked her hopefully.

"Well, he still has his wedding ring on his finger. It's all dirtied up though. Not a white gold ring at all any more" Joan wrinkled her nose in disgust trying to forget the smell of gangrene she remembered oh so well.

"Now that's excellent. This is the linchpin symbol to this whole conundrum. The ring obviously symbolizes the ties you still feel for him. Breaking these off will free you to live your life like you wish. Now close your eyes again. I want you to try and imagine the wedding ring falling off and shattering to pieces. Doing this exercise will be just the thing for you. I will teach you how to do this and any time you feel insecure you could go through it and reclaim yourself. Are you feeling up to this?"

"But... but he'll still have our wedding ring! No matter what I imagine."

"But it will symbolically help you. Symbolism is all that's matters! Symbolism is all. Listen to me carefully now..." Joan lost the thread of his conversation. She had to shatter Thomas' ring. The real one, not the bullshit imaginary symbolic one. But how? How would she manage to get her hands on his ring and break it? She was so focused on this thread of thought that she didn't notice falling into a deep trance.

Joan stroked her long white beard uncertainly. "Frodo," she told the little fellow standing at her feet. "You must go with me on an important task. We must destroy the White Ring of White Magic, for if we do not, Thomas Covenant's dark hold on this land will never end! We must break it. We must destroy it utterly! Are you with me?"

"Yes, Gandalfa!" the little pipsqueak crowed enthusiastically jumping up and down around her.

^^^^^^^
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Certainly an unexpected twist near the end. Thank you for sharing that, Shoe!
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Thank you.

I think it was posted on the "Bad Writing Game" thread originally on Mallory section
( https://kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/v ... highlight= )

there were some good snippets there.
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”