Diana Gabaldon

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Lorelei
The Gap Into Spam

Diana Gabaldon

Post by Lorelei »

Has anyone else ever heard of her?

I just finished Outlander and am very much looking forward to reading the other books in that series.

For those unfamiliar with the books it involves romance, time travel, Scotland and civil war.

I often found myself up at 12:30 am on a work night because I could put the book down.
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Re: Diana Gabaldon

Post by Tulizar »

Lorelei wrote:Has anyone else ever heard of her?

I just finished Outlander and am very much looking forward to reading the other books in that series.

For those unfamiliar with the books it involves romance, time travel, Scotland and civil war.

I often found myself up at 12:30 am on a work night because I could put the book down.

Not familiar with the author or the series, but it sounds like it has all the ingredients--romance, time travel, war--for an interesting read.

Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
Cord
Woodhelvennin

Post by Cord »

Oooohhh Jamie !!!

My female partner has read all these books (and loved them / laughed at some of the absurd situations), with much hilarity over Jamie's .......prowess!

Only he can fight off the dirty Brits when wounded and have sXX behind the rock while saving the village...etc etc
Shihad
Fat Freddy's Drop
Katchafire
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

wooo hooo!!!!

James Alexander Malcolm Mackenzie Fraser!!!

:yeehaa:

absolutely one of my top five favorite heros of ALL TIME!!! :biggrin:

i might add it's such a shame this series gets relagated to the "bottice ripper" section of the book store because it so much more historical fiction. Gabaldon's ability to make good narrative out of history is ASTOUNDING and she's created a cast of characters that are some of literature's best!!
and the woman has such a great sense of humor!!! i HIGHLY reccomend this series to anyone who loves adventure!!!
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I also understand that she has a terrific page on her website for encouraging new writers.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Luci, Cail, Creator and I were discussing our Scottish heritage and now, thanks to Luci, I'm dying to read this book/series.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I'm 1/4 Scott, and know which clan my paternal grandfather came from. But...

He converted to Judaism to marry my paternal grandmother, and then died when my Daddy was seven years old. So other than those two things, I know nothing of my Scott heritage, as most clansmen I have had occasional contact with seem to think I'm not being truthful about my heritage when they hear that I'm Jewish.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Menolly wrote:I'm 1/4 Scott, and know which clan my paternal grandfather came from. But...

He converted to Judaism to marry my paternal grandmother, and then died when my Daddy was seven years old. So other than those two things, I know nothing of my Scott heritage, as most clansmen I have had occasional contact with seem to think I'm not being truthful about my heritage when they hear that I'm Jewish.
well that just sucks. :?
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Cord
Woodhelvennin

Post by Cord »

danlo wrote:Luci, Cail, Creator and I were discussing our Scottish heritage and now, thanks to Luci, I'm dying to read this book/series.
I suppose that is as good a reason as any, make sure you have a bodice on, because it'll get ripped!!!
Shihad
Fat Freddy's Drop
Katchafire
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I'm midway through Voyager, and may I just say I am already in love with L-rd John Grey. I can't wait to read the novels that feature him now. I had read one short story that featured him in the past, and based on that I was already drawn to the character, but having gotten to know him a little better in the beginning of this book, I would say he ranks right up there with Jamie.

Such a difference from Black Jack Randall...
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Gabaldon's books are among the few that I can get totally lost in (as much on page 943 as page 50), that I feel I learn something from about myself (as well as my Scottish heritage), that risks so much and yet does not get cheesy (okay, maybe a tiny bit, but it just adds to the humor; and she admits it in one of the intros, the "nipples again?" comment).
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*was wondering if Joe Abernathy's comment about his son wearing his "hair out to here" (or something like that) comment in Voyager prompted your poll in gen dis*

I'm nearly done with Voyager. What an amazing turn of events towards the end of the book. I definitely did not see this coming!
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

*was wondering if Joe Abernathy's comment about his son wearing his "hair out to here" (or something like that) comment in Voyager prompted your poll in gen dis*
I suppose so! :lol:

I'm on the last part of Voyager-- for the 2nd time. Someone said they'd mail me the further books in the series (no bookstore here will have them) and I will be pining for those until they come.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I'm about 150 pages in to my first read of Drums of Autumn. They just get better and better...

I must thank Lucimay for recommending the series to me ages ago.
Thanks Luci!!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I obviously haven't updated in a long time. I'm currently reading Tell All the Bees... I believe there will be only one more in the main series to go after this, but hopefully the Lord John series will be expanded.

I'm unsure how I feel about Tell All the Bees, though. It consists of great little vignettes, but other than building to the characters being drawn in to the American Revolution in a larger way, I'm not really sure where the series is headed. I guess this is a true case of read and find out.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I saw that was (finally) out, shall be picking it up by the end of this month probably.

Afraid the series got increasingly meh for me from (and including) the Fiery Cross on, although I'm interested to see how the whole Brianna / Jemmy / Prophecy / Jacobite thing plays out I guess.

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Cord wrote:
danlo wrote:Luci, Cail, Creator and I were discussing our Scottish heritage and now, thanks to Luci, I'm dying to read this book/series.
I suppose that is as good a reason as any, make sure you have a bodice on, because it'll get ripped!!!
Ahh kinsfolk ~ I had no idea there were as many Scottish Watchers here.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to “General Literature Discussion”