Cool~MN~Quotes

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

re

Post by fightingmyinstincts »

"By the balls of the arch-Imager's goat!"
Wheee! I love that! We could try to use these curses in real life, but it would be hard to stay effectively mad when you say such hilarious things...
Dogswater!
Whoreslime!
Fornicate you between the eyes!
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."
TC to Bannor, LFB
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I liked when Teresa said "leave him like that; he's probably happier that way" (or something like that) after defeating Eremis and
Spoiler
leaving him naked in front of his mirror
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

While zipping though the books to compile map info this one caught my eye:

"Entrails and carrion!", spat the Perdon.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Fornication is hard to do well alone. ~ Adept Havelock

Have I not tried to tell you that you are more special than you realize? ~ Princess Myste

There is no life which does not possess its own importance, no life which may not be touched by greatness at any time - yes, be touched by greatness and have a hand in it. ~ Princess Myste
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Problems should be solved by those who see them. -- Myste
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I've liked the crazy-sounding confidence of King Joyse's message to Prince Kragen, delivered by Lebbick:

"King Joyce asks me to point out to you - and your illustrious father - that neither of you understands hop-board. You wouldn't have gotten as far as a stalemate without help. Instead of waving your swords at us, you ought to remember what happened the last time you went to war with Mordant."
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

That is a good one. :D

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

This was foolishness, really. Who was he [Tholden] to pretend that he could fill his father's boots, that he could succeed as the next Domne? He didn't understand anything about Imagery. The only real accomplishment in his life, from his point of view, was to figure out the best time of year and the best conditions to fertilize apricot trees. Unless he counted marrying Quiss, or having five children: his family was also an accomplishment that gave him pride.

A longer quote, surely, but I like this one because it exemplifies the struggle of ordinary people who doubt their own abilities against the extraordinary threat of Imagery--the essential conflict of Mordant's Need.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I like this quote, because it does seem to effectively sum up an important difference between Myste and Elega.
"I hoped for it," replied Myste softly [to Elega]. "I could not bear to give it up. That is the difference between us. I cannot live without old hopes. You are willing to let them go in order to conceive new ones."
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

The message that King Joyse has for Kragen and his daughter Elega, delivered via Master Quillon, is also one of my favorite MN quotes.
In AMRT Chapter 27 was wrote: "Fascinating," drawled the Prince. "From this distance, you will destroy my siege engines? What new horror has the Congery devised, that you are now able to project destruction so far from your glass?"

The Master didn't answer that question. "Withdraw or not, as you choose," he said. "Kill me or not." The twitching of his nose was unmistakably rabbitlike. "But do not make the error of believing that you will be permitted to enter or occupy Orison. Rather than surrender his Seat and his strength, King Joyse will allow you to be crushed between the hammer of Cadwal and the anvil of the Congery."
I've always found that quote to be dramatic and attention-getting. 8O 8)
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Norge to the Tor: "If I can say so without offense, my lord, you aren't the king I would have chosen."

That's quite an understatement, considering how drunk the Tor was for the past few weeks.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Cool~MN~Quotes

Post by Cord Hurn »

From chapter 47 of the Mordant's Need story:
"My lord King." The Tor tried to reach his feet against the physician's restraining hands. His voice sounded as thin as a light breeze in cornshucks. "I must speak."
As thin as a light breeze in cornshucks. An imaginative analogy from SRD! 8)

Return to “Mordant's Need”