Charles Dickens

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

no one has mentioned a Christmas Tale. maybe his best known work?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

Hi Sgtnull. I'm (crazily) reading all of Dickens' works in chronological order. That means that after I've finished Chuzzlewit, next on my list is Dickens' "Christmas Books". Once I've read them I'll post my thoughts :)
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I'd say that or Oliver Twist, Null.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

in New Hampshire we all read Great Expectations.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

I finished Martin Chuzzlewit last night. Amazing stuff. I keep trying to convince my wife that Dickens is second only to Shakespeare in English literature, but with each Dickens novel I read I'm starting to think he can go toe to toe with the great playwright.

Chuzzlewit in a few words? Funny, family, America, money, self, Dickens maturing as a writer (still only 30 when he wrote it), and two of his best characters in Pecksniff and Mrs Gamp.

Great Expectations is the big Dickens novel taught here in Australia in English Lit in high school - but I never did English lit, I was too busy with Maths :)
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Bumped! I have been reading The Pickwick Papers, my first Dickens novel, and I am thoroughly enjoying it! Fairly entertaining, though there have been couple dark tales along the way.

Since this was Dicken's first novel, I've been pondering just reading his work in published order... which means it'll be forever before I get to A Tale of Two Cities :(

And I just remembered that I have read A Christmas Carol, so tPP is my second Dickens book.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

love Tale of Two Cities.

btw has anyone heard from Duke as of late? i see he claims Australia, our mythical land people know of him?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Nice that I got to meet Duke at Elominfest 2014, and he, Wayfinder, ussusimiel, and myself hung out drinking beet in a downtown Albuquerque bar discussing what questions we might ask of Stephen R. Donaldson that night. Good times!
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I was a sucker for David Copperfield. It was my first foray into Charles Dickens' work, and it took a while to adjust to the older style of language, but once I adjusted to it, the STORY is what captured my heart. He wrote great stories!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I loved Oliver Twist, not so much David Copperfield.

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I’ve enjoyed most Dickens works ~ more his use of language ~ of course you need a regenerative break between books.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I loved A Tale of Two Cities so much, that I'm considering getting a copy of A Christmas Carol to read soon.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I've read Wilkie Collins and seriously loved his work. The Woman in White has got to be one of my all time favourite books. But alas, and to my shame, I've never read a Dickens novel in my life.

I think the reason for this hole in my reading achievements is due to a, now rather silly but extended, period in the middle of my life where I read no fiction at all. I don't really recall why I went down this two plus decades route - but sufficient to say that I just found that there was so much stuff I wanted to learn about that was 'real', that I just didn't have the time for fiction as well. That and because (and I hate to say this, but I think there is truth in it) I'd loved the work of Donaldson so much - I mean so much - that nothing else seemed ever to do it for me. Everything else seemed in some way a disappointment and so I just stopped trying. I'm over this now and am keen to make up for lost time, and am thinking of trying to set up a Watch readers club to this effect.

I saw a guy on YouTube the other day extolling the virtues of communal reading when it comes to 'difficult' works - by which he was referring to what he describes as 'hardcore literature'. I think I can get this. Difficult things are often better tackled in numbers, and reading, though in essence a solitary activity, is no different. The community effect of a group reading can I'm guessing, give one the motivation to tackle works that might otherwise prove unscalable.

I'll go and set up a thread and see if there are sufficient of us left, or if there is interest enough, to make it work.

:)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “General Literature Discussion”