What's gone wrong with gaming?

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

peter
The Gap Into Spam

What's gone wrong with gaming?

Post by peter »

Yesterday I started playing, for the first time, the first of the Uncharted franchise, Drake's Fortune. It was immediately apparent that I was in the realm of something special, something like the first kind of gaming experience I'd ever partaken of, back in the day of my first consul (Sega Dreamcast) and the first game I played, Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation.

These were the games that were released back in the day when the game was the thing. Before the day that it was realised that the consumers purchase of the game should only be the first of the transactions that were entailed within it. That the profit from the game was not to be made from its initial sale, but from the ongoing sales of in game products - armours and weapons that would never be available to the 'vanilla' players, quest lines and bonus features that unless you sprung for club-card membership, you would never attain.

Now we find ourselves in a place where the idea of producing a game that is stand alone, that will be released just for what it is, is anathema. Elden Ring is, I believe, pretty much this kind of production, but the sales revenue from even as massive a production as this are dwarfed by the ongoing income streams generated by games like FIFA and Pokemon.

My great fear is that the next Elder Scrolls game - should I be fortunate enough to be around when it releases - will be bastardised to within an inch of its life by pulling the same tricks on it. Skyrim sits as beyond question the best game ever made in my book. But I fear that this height of gaming will never be reached again. I'm just not sure the economics are behind it. These companies are in it for the commercial game, not to worry about the aesthetics of gaming - the heights to which it could be taken. If a product doesn't meet the bottom line it isn't going to get the funding - and the groups that put forward that funding are looking for maximum return, not artistic plaudits. There simply isn't the middle ground in gaming financing, as there is in say movie making, that allows for much more in the way of independent gaming production. I think that small independent games like Kingdom Come Deliverance will soon be a thing of the past, drowned out by increasing costs and a word of finance that has no interest in artistic merit, but only concerns itself with maximisation of profit.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Just as not every restaurant is McDonalds, not every game will be FIFA. There will always be room for different offerings and experiences though, as with restaurants, you may have to go out of your way to find them (and you might have to pay a premium, as well).

As for the next Elder Scrolls, have you seen ESO? I haven't played it, but would guess that it's a decent guide to how Bethesda treats microtransactions.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

F2P. Free to play.

Just don't make any purchases. And have what fun you can.

Unless it's player vs player. When it's pay to win, win by quitting.
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

What's gone wrong is that any game in which I'm not stompin' a Goomba, chasing ghosts, KO-ing Mike Tyson, collecting Chaos Emeralds, rescuing Zelda, grabbin' shmup power-ups, mega-busting Dr. Wily's latest bot-man, or other such sundry activities is by-and-large wastin' my increasingly valuable screen-time. ;)

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Play Disco Elysium and have your psyche shattered!

;)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “PC & Console Games”