The Platonic Mathematical World

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

[expletive] Page Breaks...
SerScot wrote:So… is the Bing Chatbot… an actual strong AI or just a machine mimicing human speach patterns?
The buzz makes one wonder. There are multiple stories in the media of extended conversations that veer into territory beyond chatbot expectations...and of corporate responses to change how and for how long the bot ought engage.

It remains to be seen whether this is Microsoft releasing then pulling back an unexpectedly-unready AI or an attempt to fluff what they have (and know to be not-ready) to remain visible/relevant while ChatGPT is trending and alternatives are gaining attention.

Stay tuned!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

An AI isn't an AI isn't an AI. They are built for different purposes, and so have different capabilities.

For exactly the same reason that you don't expect your email app to play music, or expect candy crush to give you a traffic report, you should not expect things like Bing or chatGPT to approach sentience or to make scientific breakthroughs. AI is a very broad technology and at this time it is applied only to very specific problems -- in this case, conversation and communication.

A completely different AI out on the web will draw you pictures -- but it cannot converse with you or write stories.

Bing will draw on the societal memes that someone has put into it's database. I mentioned before that this has to be cleaned carefully. If you're not careful, biases and negative urges will get into the data and so get into it's repertoire. It's even worse when it can learn from unrestricted conversations replete with mischievous actors. (The "Nazi effect".) The problem is not with the AI - the problem is with the data the AI draws upon - garbage in, garbage out.

The Youtube guy is right -- it is a game changer. And the game change will not be only for the good (and I expect the usual flack for saying so.)

But it is still incremental progress and we won't have HAL overnight.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

No one is going to disagree with an innocuous and obvious statement that the changes introduced by AI will not all be for the best. Rather it's alarmist and hyperbolic statements like, "This only confirms my cynical view of humanity's penchant for self-destruction through poor decisions made by greed" that resulted in the only "flack" you received on the subject [which was from me, which means I'm the only person you could be referring to here--hence the current response which you claim you don't want . . . it was entirely possible to make your point without taking a shot at me].

Characterizing an objection to the latter as an objection to the former indicates a lack of understanding of the original objection at best, or an attempt to mischaracterize and passive aggressively attack/malign at the worst. This kind of intellectual dishonesty is one of the reasons why things so often got out of hand in the Tank, and why your "we gave you guys numerous chances" is BS avoidance of your own provocative and underhanded participation there.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

wayfriend wrote: The Youtube guy is right -- it is a game changer. And the game change will not be only for the good (and I expect the usual flack for saying so.)
I'm sure you're right. There will be negatives, and maybe huge ones. But, until someone finds a way to control all computers and the internet, there's no way to prevent people from doing it. Many people, in many different ways, some of whom won't much care about trying to do things safely.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “The Close”