A Dark And Hungry God Arises Group Read

The Gap Into Group Reading

Moderators: Cord Hurn, lucimay

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

The dissection of the first chapter from the perspective of Min Donner, Enforcement Director of the UMCP, is now available. She travels to the GCES compound on Earth to meet with the Senior Member from the United Western Bloc.

A Dark and Hungry God Arises 20 - Min [1]
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Thank you for the excellent chapter dissection, Savor Dam!! :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: You put a lot of care and effort into it, and I enjoyed reading it! 8)
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

The next chapter, in which Min travels back to UMCPHQ to talk to Warden about what happened in her meeting with the Senior Member from the United Western Bloc, and what conclusions should be drawn from what happened during that meeting, is discussed in the following new thread:

A Dark And Hungry God Arises 21 - Min [2]
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Great work as usual CH :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Thank you, StevieG! I'm glad someone is still reading these dissections!
:biggrin:
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Actually, the number of reads on CH's recent drop of three dissections is pretty respectable. The two character chapters have 135 - 170 views apiece a week after they were posted. People are looking.

The Ancillary Documentation chapter has fewer views, currently shy of 45. That really surprises me. I know that some readers may not give these chapters the attention they merit, but Ancillary Documentation chapters, while apparently out of the flow of the story, are always "what you need to know at this moment of the story." Warden's speech at the Academy fits that bill perfectly, and CH's dissection thereof is a clear statement of why that is so.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

A thread discussing the daring rescue of young Davies Hyland from his Billingate holding cell is now up:

A Dark And Hungry God Arises 25 - Angus [4]
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Davies encounters his father Angus for the first time, and it's a traumatic experience for him, as detailed in the 26th chapter of ADAHGA. This chapter is discussed in the newest dissection thread:

A Dark And Hungry God Arises 26 - Davies [3]
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Now, I've got two more chapter dissection threads to mention.

Angus and Milos have Davies aboard Trumpet, and Angus figures out Davies has had memories copied from Morn. Nick comes aboard, refuses to bring them Morn, and tries to leave the ship. Davies tries to stop him, because he knows Nick doesn't have Morn, and Angus has to stop Nick from beating Davies to unconsciousness. Angus tells Davies his mother did destroy her family ship, and then notices Milos is missing. It's all discussed in the thread:

ADAHGA 27 - Angus [5]

Sorus Chatalaine comes to the Bill's strongroom to get identification on who started rumors she has a mutagen immunity drug, and finds out it's Mikka and Sib of Nick's ship. The Bill informs Sorus that Davies has been abducted from his cell, and accuses Sorus of being at fault because she wasn't there interrogating Davies at the time. Both of them watch video footage of Davies being released, then watch footage of Angus and Milos waiting for something in their rooms as Milos forces Angus to chew and follow burning nics. They see Angus and Milos react to a coded message from Trumpet by leaving the rooms and speculate if those two could have taken Davies. Sorus decides she wants to get away from Billingate, and gets the Bill's permission to do so by stating she wants to get within firing range of the Amnion defensive Calm Horizons and have a good long talk with them. It's discussed in the brand-new thread:

ADAHGA 28 - Sorus
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

The newest chapter dissection thread concerns where Milos goes to report to the Amnion about Angus' purpose to reclaim Morn, let them know he doesn't have control over Angus like he thought he did, and receive his "reward" from them for his deeds. You can reach this chapter dissection thread quickly by clicking onto the following title:

A Dark And Hungry God Arises 29 - Milos [3]
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

My gratitude to Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm for her solid work on the next Gap chapter dissection to be posted, this one about Hashi's private musings on his boss Warden. You can get quickly to her dissection by clicking on the chapter title below:

A Dark and Hungry God Arises 30 - Ancillary Documentation/Warden Dios: Extracts From The Private Journals Of Hashi Lebwohl, Director, Data Acquisition, United Mining Companies Police
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

ON DISSECTING THE GAP

I still would like to finish dissecting A Dark and Hungry God Arises, but if I accomplish that then I will be done organizing group reads for the Gap. It's just too much work. I could see me making contributions to dissecting Chaos and Order and This Day All Gods Die, but I don't wish to be in charge of organizing group reads for those books.

While the task of dissecting the next ADAHGA chapter has been assigned to Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm (my idea, not hers, truth be told), the majority of the upcoming chapter dissections will be written by me (volunteers always welcome, of course!). I feel Lefdmae has good reasons for delay (if "Russia is waging war against my country" isn't a good excuse to delay a chapter dissection, then WHAT IS?), but I have asked her to please let me know if dissecting the Godsen chapter is proving to be too much of a hardship. I have assured her there is no hurry at all on getting that chapter dissection done.

If, after all the chapter dissections for ADAHGA for which I am committing to write have been done, then I may write the dissection for the Godsen chapter if Effie hasn't been able to get around to doing it.

I am not planning to post the follow-up chapter to "Godsen", called "Min [3]" until January 15th of next year.

My reasons for delay are varied, involving family matters (in particular my father's deteriorating health), my job situations, I want to contribute more to "the Tor" thread in the Mordant's Need forum, I want to write more chapter summaries for this thread, and I want to spend time reading Donaldson's The Killing God when it comes out in November.

Some time next year I was planning to ask both Avatar and StevieG if they will write one more dissection apiece for the later chapters, and I wanted to also ask Skyweir if she would write a couple of chapter dissections for me. But that is for the last chapters of ADAHGA, and we are talking several months from now. If they can help me out with those, then I can promise I will never ask them to help me out with dissections again!

There's just no way I want to be responsible for dissecting Chaos and Order (53 chapters) and This Day All Gods Die (55 chapters). Again, that's just too much work.

But maybe, just maybe, we can complete the task of dissecting A Dark and Hungry God Arises. All I need is just a little help from my friends. If we can get that done, then for the first time in Watch history we will have dissected the majority of the Gap books.

That's where we stand right now on the dissection of the Gap, for anybody still interested. :?
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

A Dark And Hungry God Arises Group Read

Post by Cord Hurn »

Out of concern that I was making the original post in this thread too long, which might be a problem when the Watch changes format and reboots, I have decided not to post summaries of any ADAHGA chapters on that original post after chapter 30. Here are more ADAHGA chapter summaries:

ADAHGA 31 - Godsen
9 pages
Leading post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm at Cord Hurn's request, tentative posting date whenever she can get to it, or when the other chapters have been dissected, whichever comes first
Sitting in his office, Godsen Frik is in disbelief that Warden Dios sent hardcopy orders for him not to leave the UMCPHQ space station. He fears to defy those orders, for that might prevent him from eventually ascending to the presidency of the GCES. Godsen is certain that the only way he can heal the damage caused by Warden's shocking video conference with the GCES is by personally visiting some of the GCES Members on Earth and soothing their anxieties. He gets a call from Holt Fasner, who wants to know why Warden deliberately appalled the GCES Members with his video conference. Godsen tells Holt he doesn't want to talk about that now, so Holt orders him to take a shuttle to his orbiting corporate station. Godsen informs Holt that he's under orders from Warden to stay on UMCPHQ station, and asks Holt if he's officially ordering him to disobey Warden. Holt denies that, but tells Godsen if he's not on a shuttle immediately that he doesn't care what he does. Holt ends the call, and Godsen decides to obey Warden instead of Holt, reasoning that at least Warden doesn't kill people he has been sworn to protect. Godsen orders his secretary to flare the recording of his conversation with Holt to Warden's office. He feels he can live with deciding in favor of Warden's wishes over Holt's.

ADAHGA 32 - Min [3]
9 pages
Leading post made by Cord Hurn, posted on January 30, 2023
Min Donner is still recovering from being near the kaze blast that was an apparent attempt on Sixten Vertigus' life, as she is still hearing a high-pitched whine, general body aches, a numbed mind, and recurring nosebleeds. She is also stunned by the death of Godsen Frik from another kaze that came to his office twenty minutes earlier. Her Chief of Security explained the kaze got onboard UMCPHQ because he had been subject of routine verification, involving checking the information on his CMOS chip, and not subject to a full background check, which would have shown that no one was recorded as having put the information on the kaze's chip, and that the kaze had no record of existence. Full background checks will now become required for anyone entering the UMCPHQ space station by shuttle. Min is stressed that she's received orders from Warden to take the first available ship to go in the direction of Com-Mine Station, because she feels she needs to stay and investigate the kaze situation and to protect Warden. She calls Warden and he explains that Morn Hyland may still be alive and being brought back from Thantos Minor, and that communications in that sector have been enhanced so she can communicate with him quickly. Min informs Warden that she can leave on the ship Punisher within 15 minutes.

ADAHGA 33 - Ancillary Documentation/Guttergangs
4 pages
Leading post by Cord Hurn, posted on February 6, 2023
Guttergangs, formed to stoke tension and employ violence to take away from those who have for those who have not, looked ready to eventually rule the Earth before humanity encountered the Amnion. On an increasingly urbanized world with many social infrastructures collapsing, the guttergangs flourished thanks to the chaos they created. Guttergangs got a further boost in popularity because of the creation of the gap drive. The influx of new resources from space shored up Earth's infrastructure, which gave the parasitic guttergangs more upon which to thrive. The discovery of the external threat that the Amnion represented had the effect of eroding the guttergangs, as their revulsion at the idea of being mutated combined with increased employment opportunities with the UMCP produced more patriotic feeling within the disadvantaged youth of Earth. Further, being united by hatred and fear of the Amnion, Earth's people feared the guttergangs less, and the guttergangs lost their mystique with the public, and their attraction for downtrodden people. Humanity became more united against a common foe.

ADAHGA 34 - Nick [5]
13 pages
Leading post by Cord Hurn, posted on February 14, 2023
Nick leaves Trumpet to inform the Amnion that Angus and Milos took Davies and are planning to take Morn. He soon concludes following this plan stinks because his glamorous pirate reputation would suffer as he would be seen as outmaneuvered and weak. He reflects that Angus spoke of Milos' double-dealing, and frets he hasn't any information to give the Amnion that they have not already received from Milos. He keeps wondering how Angus can be so strong. Arriving at the airlock of Captain's Fancy, he learns it's guarded by two of the Bill's employees, who won't let him in the ship. He is told by one of the guards to see the Bill for an explanation, and he leaves claiming he'll do just that. He rounds a corner out of sight of the guards, and nearly runs into Mikka, Vector, Sib, and Pup. He claims they were just the people he was looking for, and to follow him as they've got work to do. Mikka grabs him and tells him they're going to stop him before he gets them killed because they might talk to the Bill or Sorus. Nick repeats that he needs them and has a job for them to do. He wrenches out of Mikka's grasp and edges towards Pup, intent on grabbing him and threatening harm to get Mikka to do what ever he wants. Sib foils this by grabbing Pup's wrist and pulling Pup behind Mikka. One of the Bill's guards leaves Nick's ship to come up and stick a gun in his belly. Nick speaks to Mikka to distract the guard, and kills him. The five of them head to Trumpet to meet with Angus, becoming aware as the approach it that several of the Bill's are following them carrying mining lasers. Angus lets them all in when Nick warns him via intercom that the guards are coming with the lasers. Mikka demands to know what the job is, and Nick lets it be known it's to rescue Morn, stunning her, Vector, Sib, and Pup into silence. Angus tells Davies they need the help being offered by Nick, and Nick gloats at that admission.

ADAHGA 35 - Angus [6]
15 pages
Posting date to be determined
Angus would like to kill Nick, but his zone implants recognize him as a UMCP employee and potential ally in rescuing Morn, so he just complies when Nick asks to talk to Captain's Fancy. Mikka steps forward and introduces Angus to herself , Vector, Sib, and Pup. and informs Angus that they helped Morn divert Davies' pod from the Amnion ship and that Nick has thrown them off of his ship and that the only reason Nick is helping Angus is he has no alternative. Nick tells Angus that Mikka and company have no alternatives, either. Angus decides Vector, Pup, and Davies will work together on a high-tension task, while he, Mikka, Sib, and Nick break Morn out of Amnion confinement. He states they will go EVA to get to the Amnion sector then cut into the complex, look for Morn, then go back out the way they came. After finishing his message to Captain's Fancy, Nick asks where Milos is. Angus tells him Milos went to the Amnion, and Nick asks why Angus isn't afraid Milos will tell the Amnion they're coming for Morn. Angus replies that Milos doesn't know HOW they are going to get Morn, so they have a chance of not being caught by the Amnion or the Bill's guards. Angus leads the others to the locker storage where they get weapons and EVA suits. Angus takes them to another airlock aboard Trumpet, where they exit the ship for the surface of Thanotos Minor. The first thing Angus notices is Captain's Fancy breaking out of Billingate dock attachments and lifting up into space.

For a shortcut to get back to the original post with the other ADAGHA chapter summaries, click on this sentence.
Last edited by Cord Hurn on Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Min Donner deals with the shock of Godsen Frik being killed by a kaze, and being dismissed from the kaze investigation by Warden for some puzzling new mission. All happening in the chapter being discussed in the following new thread:

A Dark And Hungry God Arises 32 - Min [3]
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

The ADAHGA chapter discussing the rise and fall of the guttergangs on Earth is dissected in the latest thread in this subforum:

A Dark And Hungry God Arises 33 - Ancillary Documentation / Guttergangs
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Here is the link to the newest chapter dissection of the Gap:

A Dark And Hungry God Arises 34 - Nick [5]

The chapter dissection of A Dark And Hungry God Arises is now 75% complete.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

The plan right now is that I will continue to work on ADAHGA chapter summaries, and when I am done with that will come up with some tentative posting dates for each chapter dissection, and then contact Avatar, StevieG, and Skyweir and see if they still want to help me by doing dissections for the final ADAHGA chapters.

I don't know at this moment how long this process will take. I can at this point only promise that I will keep working at the chapter summaries.

Return to “Ancillary Documentation”