The Biggest Question of All

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
wayfriend wrote:How can you write a scientific treatise about nothing?
The same way you write a TV-show about nothing?

Just a thawt.

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

You could call it "Much Ado About Nothing".

;)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Fist and Faith wrote:
peter wrote:- we are talking a nothing that has no extension in space, no duration in time,
To be more thorough, we are talking no space in which anything could have extension, no time in which anything could have duration. Space and time are things that exist, after all, so, if we're talking about absolute non-existence, they would be gone, also. I'm not sure I can really wrap my mind around the absence of even those things. Not talking about an empty void with nothing in it. Not talking about time endlessly passing with nothing aging. The absence of them means no field in which to notice the absence of everything else. No big, empty thing. Not even a void, since, to my thinking, that would have boundaries.
Interesting to discuss any thing, defining it really helps ~ defining the subject under exploration and identifying its parameters ~ what it is and what it isn’t, probably is and probably isn’t, may be may not be etc

Kudos on the ^^ above quoted comment ~ and it presents as nigh impossible. And yet ironically remains subject of inquiry and likely always will.

And mig wow 😮 so much food for thought there.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I agree because there is something we are able to explore it ~ assigning a reason invites broad ranging posturing. Cuz reason for who, for what and why?

Enter the highly subjective nature of what constitutes “peace of mind”. :biggrin:
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

peter wrote: The closest thing that the theorists have come up with in answering the question (and the approach that the celebrated Stephen Hawking took) was that it was the inherent instability of the nothingness/quantum flux that causes irregularities to pop in and out of existence
The problem that I see here is that instability presumes something which is unstable, and hence it is not nothing.
Instability requires a tension or a conflict between opposing forces, or a force which operates against something that would be otherwise stable.
If there were truly nothing, then there would be nothing that could be unstable, or stable, or any other qualitative adjective.

Nothing is hard to understand.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

wayfriend wrote: Nothing is hard to understand.
Indeed it is. I try to look at it with the blind spot in our eyes. Find some small, bright spot, close one eye, and move your eye until the spot disappears. If you know what I mean.

I saw the spot, now I don't. But I know where it is. Peripheral vision goes way beyond it.

Visually, there is nothing there. No signal going to that spot of the brain. It's not describable in vision terms. It's not describable in any terms. It's nothing. And it doesn't help me understand it at all.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “The Close”