Christian Imagery

Book Three of The Great God's War trilogy, which may or may not ever be published.
Mr. Land
Stonedownor

Christian Imagery

Post by Mr. Land »

Just finished The Killing God. No spoilers here, but suffice to say Donaldson has outdone himself. What a great read! One of the things I've wondered about through the whole trilogy is the prominence of Christian symbology in the Great God's War. Rile, our villain, is a tyrant, desperate for control and intent on silencing other forms of knowledge by destroying the Last Repository. He uses persuasion to manipulate followers to further this aim. My question is this. Why is the symbology of Christianity used rather than an original or generic religious belief system? The cross and crucifixion struck me as being artifacts from our world, and thus slightly out of place. I'm sure Donaldson has a good reason for their inclusion. Hoping someone on KW has some insight.
Something there is in beauty.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I noticed the symbolism as well, at least in the latter two books. Not sure any such appeared in Seventh Decimate, but that volume is essentially table-setting for the story told in the rest of the series.

No particular insight to offer; looking forward to what others have to say.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Russ Hatton
Servant of the Land

Christian Imagery

Post by Russ Hatton »

I assume the Xian imagery is intentional, negative, and a comment on current events in the states. Steve is pulling no punches here.
wayfriend

Christian Imagery

Post by wayfriend »

viewtopic.php?p=1054265#p1054265
viewtopic.php?p=1083603#p1083603

Here I pointed out that Donaldson's interview with Storymen provided some very interesting insights into what Donaldson was trying to get at.

Alas, I don't think you can find the original podcase interview any longer.

Return to “The Killing God”