Stephen C. McKinney Memorial Thread (1969-2001)

The place for fiction and poetry....

Moderators: deer of the dawn, Furls Fire

Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Most of us lack the "sight" and the "senses" to see and feel what Stephen did. Harold turned out to be a very very very troubled soul. But, it was nothing "worldly", it was spiritual. And he was literally drawn to Stephen after that first meeting, drawn, pulled, lead...he made his way to my brother many many times. And all their confrontations were just like that one, if not worse. Their's was indeed a battle between the light and dark, and no one around them ever understood it. And those of us that did felt a certain amount of fear for Stephen. It was the kind of thing, the only thing that we ever thought could break him. Of course, his power was that of the Lord, and we should not have doubted his stanima....

I don't run
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

My favorite part of all Stephen's entries is how he just stands his ground, sure of his backing, as it were. (To quote myself from chat) Whether it's your father & brother telling him to have the muggers arrested, or some guy on a boat giving him hate. He knows what he knows, and does what he knows to be right. It reminds me of a scene from Highway to Heaven. Landon's character just stood there in the face of shotgun fire. I don't know that he knew God would protect him, but I'm sure he was ok with whatever God had in mind. I guess along the lines of, "If He wants me to live, so I can do more work here, I'll live. If he needs me to die now, I'll die." As far as we've seen, Stephen hadn't faced that kind of situation, where he might die at that moment. But I don't doubt how he would have behaved if he had.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

You are so right about that. As I said before, there wasn't much that he feared. He knew what he knew, he was who he was. His faith was his foundation, his rock. He felt as long as he knew the Lord was with him, then he could withstand anything...even AIDS.

What made these confrontations with Harold so much different than the others he had is that Harold was a threat to that faith. Because, Harold didn't have Jesus in his heart, he didn't have love in his heart, he didn't even have an empty heart...Harold had Satan in his heart. And I know, not many believe such things happen, which is why I haven't posted entries concerning him before now. But, my brother had other plans. I could literally feel him pushing me to post those particular entries. There is a reason, not sure what it is yet. Guess I'll find out soon. :D
And I believe in you
I will remember you

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Well, you've certainly piqued my curiosity about the other Harold entries! I can't imagine how he could be a threat to Stephen's faith, no matter what was in his heart!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

He tried to break Stephen's faith. Satan is insidious, he tries always to steal the faith of those who truly have the Lord in their heart. He seeks them out and tries to make them hurt themselves. That is what hurts God the most. Harold never became Stephen's friend, but in the end, Stephen did "help" him. But, those confrontations always left him feeling weak and questioning. He never broke tho.
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Well I can't wait to read them. I can see Stephen being drained by their confrontations, but questioning is unexpected. Get typing!! :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

LOL!!!

"patience, patience, my love" :D
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

EEEEEEEK...bad number to leave the "reply" count at, so this is just to get rid of it... *shudder*
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Lament
Woodhelvennin

Post by Lament »

I don't know if I've ever met someone like Harold. Maybe I have and I had no idea...

Seems life is full of polar opposites. For every action, a reaction, every yin a yang.

Stephen seems to have come face-to-face with an opposite. It takes great courage to do that. I cannot imagine what that must have been like.

The wonderful thing about this entry for me is his SM's strength there. It gives hope for the rest of us. It also makes me think. Not just about my own values or faith but about how evil lurks out in the world.

It's really funny just the other night I dreamt with an uncle I loved who passed away. He was giving me words of encouragement as I stroked his hair, since I saw that he was tired and possibly sick.

It reminded me that there is a force of good out there. True, the darkness is there and they/it has a plan to corrupt us or see us dead in more ways than one. But there are also beings of light out there like my uncle. Sometimes I personally forget that important point.

In the face of this "evil" I would wager Stephen had alot of support. He said he felt the hand of the Father on him. That is pretty special.
Covenant recognized that this was a fact. But he had not expected such an argument from the Giant.
"Foamfollower'" he muttered, climbing out of his bed, "you've been thinking again."
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

God bless your Uncle, Lament. I'm sure he is wrapped in the light of Heaven, may his rest be full of peace and grace. :)

And yes, Harold was Stephen's opposite. For as good as Stephen was, Harold was "evil", tho that term is not exactly what he was. He was tormented, not so much "possessed" in any sense of the word, but "suaded", "brainwashed". He was being used. Now, some would argue that Stephen was being used as well. That God lead him about and put him in situations where he was forced to do His bidding. This is not how it was. Stephen always had the choice to NOT follow God's lead. Being who he was, however, he never backed away from God's plans for him.

In the end, Stephen forced Harold to see he had other choices other than following the ways of Satan. The one he made tho, nearly broke my brother. :(
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Fire Daughter
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Fire Daughter »

Peace be with you, Uncle Steve.

"Remember, life is a journey of learning. If you forget to learn, if you close yourself off from the world around you, then you cheat your own life. Cherish the gift God gave you. Follow the path set down by His Son, and your life will be wondrous, my dear sweet angel niece Brooke Anne. The journey begins this day for you, may it be a glorious one..."

My Uncle Steve wrote that in a letter to me on the day I was born...July 14, 1990.

...New breath, new life
new angel of our days
sing joy, sing light, sing praise to the Lord,
for the gift of you...

:)
For Myles--
When evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one to dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love

For Mom--
Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

Fly...fly high against the sky...
Thank you, thank you, thank God for you
The wind beneath my wings

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

You are truly blessed to have such a great Uncle! Welcome to the Watch Brooke! :D
fall far and well Pilots!
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Wow, A family of poets & warriors. You guys amaze and encourage me. |G
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Well, Brooke, I assume you know how special this thread is for many of us. Your uncle was, your mother is, and I'm sure you are, quite remarkable.

Princess Buttercup wrote:Wow, A family of poets & warriors.
"poets & warriors"??
warriors & poets??
Warrior-Poets???? 8O Watch out for these McKinneys!!!!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Warriors??? We are pacifists...but I guess if push came to shove, we would shove back if shoved forcefully enough. :D

And Brooke, hugglessssssssssssssssssssss baby |G |G |G
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Not sure how the Queen of Refuse meant it, but I changed it into a group of folks from the Neverness books. But there's different ways of fighting - different types of warriors - neh? Stephen fought long and hard. Which I assume we'll be seeing a lot more of as we read more about Harold.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Ah yes. When I hear the word "warrior", I instantly think of "wars" and armed men fighting to the bloody end...

But, yes. There are many different kinds of battles, many different kinds of warriors. Stephen, of course, fought his own battles, all with the only "weapon" he would carry. His faith.

"Poets and warriors" :D

Who was it that said..."The pen is mightier than the sword"?? Running on fumes here, so I can't think of who said that. So true that....so very true.
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Furls Fire wrote:Who was it that said..."The pen is mightier than the sword"?? Running on fumes here, so I can't think of who said that.
I'm pretty sure it was Stephen.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

If you get a chance to read the Neverness books by Zindell, you will get a chance to see that the warrior poets are very very cool. 8)
Love as thou wilt.

Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Fist and Faith wrote:
Furls Fire wrote:Who was it that said..."The pen is mightier than the sword"?? Running on fumes here, so I can't think of who said that.
I'm pretty sure it was Stephen.
:lol: :lol: It was NOT Stephen, tho he said things like it all the time...it was some author or world leader or someone like that...
Duchy wrote:If you get a chance to read the Neverness books by Zindell, you will get a chance to see that the warrior poets are very very cool.
I got them all on order from Amazon UK... Neverness and Ea Cycle :D :D
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image

Return to “The Hall of Gifts”