Can someone explain to me the reasons behind hating Jews?

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Elon Musk Among the Anti-Semites [Analysis]

(Credit: Liesa Johannssen-Koppitz / Bloomberg / Getty)

Criticizing George Soros is not inherently anti-Semitic. But casting him as an avatar of evil is.

Last night, Elon Musk made two rookie social-media mistakes: He tweeted after 10 p.m., and he echoed paranoid anti-Semitic conspiracy theorists. “George Soros reminds me of Magneto,” he declared, likening the financier to the Marvel supervillain, both of them Jewish Holocaust survivors. In case the meaning was unclear, Musk quickly clarified to another user, “He wants to erode the very fabric of civilization. Soros hates humanity.”

Criticizing George Soros is not inherently anti-Semitic. He is one of the world’s richest men and most influential philanthropists, as well as the Democratic Party’s largest single donor, and his views undoubtedly warrant scrutiny and debate. But Musk was not taking issue with a particular statement or position put forward by Soros; he was presenting him as an avatar of evil. He painted Soros as a literal comic-book villain.

This is the language of anti-Semitism through the ages, which perpetually casts powerful Jewish actors as the embodiment of social and political ill. Rather than treat Jews like humans, who are fallible and often mistaken, this mindset refashions them into sinister superhumans who intentionally impose their malign designs on the masses. In recent years, Soros has been a particular target of this treatment, but any Jew or Jewish institution that accumulates some measure of wealth or status tends to attract it, whether the Rothschilds or the state of Israel. In such cases, legitimate criticism is overtaken by conspiracy; the issue is no longer the conduct of the Jewish actor but their very essence.

(click for more)
Spoiler
Musk echoing such a sensibility might seem surprising, but it was, in fact, inevitable. The Twitter magnate has spent months marinating among the site’s most conspiratorial characters. One of his first acts as Twitter’s owner was to share, then quietly delete, a bizarre anti-gay rumor about the October 2022 attack on Paul Pelosi, the husband of then–House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. Since that time, Musk has repeatedly replied to and bantered with QAnon influencers, and suggested that the recent massacre in Allentown, Texas, by a reported white supremacist was actually “a psy-op.” As the BBC reporter Shayan Sardarizadeh put it, “These days, if you want to find the latest conspiracy theories trending on Twitter, the easiest thing to do is to check tweets Elon Musk replies to, you’ll find most of them.”

Seen in this context, Musk’s latest remarks are less a departure from past pronouncements than a continuation of them. Anti-Semitism is arguably the world’s oldest and most durable conspiracy theory. It presents Jews as the string-pulling puppet masters behind the world’s political, economic, and social problems. For those seeking simple solutions to life’s complexities, this outlook offers a ready-made explanation — and enemy. Anyone seeking a single source for society's travails may start with run-of-the mill conspiracy theories but will soon end up parroting anti-Jewish ideas. As I’ve written before, “Conspiracy theorists begin by rejecting mainstream explanations for social and political events in favor of supposedly suppressed knowledge and hidden hands. These individuals may not start out as anti-Semites. But anti-Semitism has a multi-thousand-year head start on their crooked conception of the world, and has produced centuries of material casting the Jews as its chief culprit. Once a person has convinced themselves that an invisible hand is manipulating the masses, they are just a couple of Google searches away from discovering that it belongs to an invisible Jew.”

It’s doubtful that Musk harbors personal animosity toward Jewish people. But he is a conspiracy theorist, and the arc of conspiracy is short and bends toward the Jews.

Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Vatican beatifies a Polish family of 9 killed by the Nazis for sheltering Jews

A Mass in which the Vatican beatified the Polish Ulma family, including small children, who were killed by the Nazis in 1944 for having sheltered Jews in the Ulmas' home village of Markowa Poland, was held on Sunday, Sept. 10, 2023. (AP Photo)

Warsaw, Poland — In an unprecedented move, the Vatican on Sunday beatified a Polish family of nine — a married couple and their small children — who were executed by the Nazis during World War II for sheltering Jews.

During a ceremonious Mass in the village of Markowa, in southeastern Poland, papal envoy Cardinal Marcello Semeraro read out the Latin formula of the beatification of the Ulma family signed last month by Pope Francis.

In his homily Semeraro noted that for their "gesture of hospitality and care, of mercy" the Ulmas "paid the highest price of martyrdom."

A contemporary painting representing Jozef and a pregnant Wiktoria Ulma with their children was revealed near the altar. A procession brought relics taken from their grave to the altar. It was the first time that an entire family has been beatified.

At the Vatican, speaking to the public from a window in St. Peter’s Square, Pope Francis said the Ulmas "represented a ray of light in the darkness" of the war and should be a model for everyone in "doing good and in the service of those in need."

The pope then invited the crowd below to applaud the family, and he clapped his hands. Those gathered in Markowa watched Francis' address on giant screens placed by the altar.

(click for more)
Spoiler

Last year, Francis pronounced the deeply Catholic Ulma family, including the child that Wiktoria Ulma was pregnant with, martyrs for the faith. The Ulmas were killed at home by German Nazi troops and by Nazi-controlled local police in the small hours of March 24, 1944, together with the eight Jews they were hiding at their home, after they were apparently betrayed.

Jozef Ulma, 44, was a farmer, Catholic activist and amateur photographer who documented family and village life. He lived with his 31-year-old wife Wiktoria; their daughters Stanislawa, 7; Barbara, 6; Maria, 18 months; and sons Wladyslaw, 5; Franciszek, 3; and Antoni, 2.

With them were killed 70-year-old Saul Goldman with his sons Baruch, Mechel, Joachim and Mojzesz, along with Golda Grunfeld and her sister Lea Didner with her little daughter Reszla, according to Poland’s state Institute of National Remembrance, IPN, which has meticulously documented the Ulmas’ story.

Giving the orders was Lt. Eilert Dieken, head of the regional Nazi military police. After the war he served in the police in Germany. Only one of his subordinates, Josef Kokott, was convicted in Poland over the killings, dying in prison in 1980. The suspected betrayer was Wlodzimierz Les, a member of the Nazi-controlled local police. Poland's wartime resistance sentenced him to death and executed him in September 1944, according to IPN.

The Vatican also beatified the Ulmas' unborn child, saying it was born during the killings and was baptized in the martyred mother's blood. (AP Photo)

The Catholic Church had faced a dilemma in beatifying Wiktoria's unborn child and declaring it a martyr because, among other things, it had not been baptized, which is a requirement for beatification.

The Vatican’s Dicastery for the Causes of Saints issued a clarification saying the child was actually born during the horror of the killings and received "baptism by blood" of its martyred mother.

The clarification was issued Sept. 5 by Cardinal Semeraro, who is the prefect of the Vatican's saint-making office.

Polish President Andrzej Duda along with the ruling party leader Jaroslaw Kaczynski and Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki, as well as Poland’s chief rabbi, Michael Schudrich, attended the celebration in Markowa, and thousands of pilgrims came from across Poland to take part.

[…]

The Ulma beatification poses several new theological concepts about the Catholic Church’s ideas of saints and martyrs that also have implications for the anti-abortion movement because of the baby in the mother’s womb, said the Rev. Robert Gahl, a professor of ethics at the Catholic University of America and Rome’s Pontifical Holy Cross University.

The Vatican stated that the child was "born" at the moment the mother was executed. In doing so, the Vatican also affirmed that the killers intended to kill the child out of hatred for the faith, a requirement for a martyrdom and beatification declaration, Gahl told The Associated Press.

After beatification, a miracle attributed to the Ulmas' intercession would be necessary for their eventual canonization, as the church’s sainthood process is called.

[…]

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

By the way, I started the original thread about this topic a million years ago and there were hundreds of replies but I still have no idea why.

So, good job everyone. :biggrin:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
RandomHaruchai
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by RandomHaruchai »

I came here hoping for an answer. I may never understand.
Good dreams don't come cheap
You've got to pay for them
Harry Chapin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsZWhODqaH0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxr7IPFWR_8
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

High Lord Tolkien wrote: By the way, I started the original thread about this topic a million years ago and there were hundreds of replies but I still have no idea why.

So, good job everyone. :biggrin:
Well, your response just then is one of the only ones I recall actually reading in this thread :D

It's interesting how some topics take off, and others die. It's not always to do with how interesting they are.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Not to throw negativity at an otherwise really good thing. But I do have a question
The Vatican stated that the child was "born" at the moment the mother was executed.
How would the Vatican know that? Does the Vatican mean "Born" as in "Born again" through Christ?
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
SoulBiter wrote: Not to throw negativity at an otherwise really good thing. But I do have a question
The Vatican stated that the child was "born" at the moment the mother was executed.
How would the Vatican know that? Does the Vatican mean "Born" as in "Born again" through Christ?
You may've glazed over it, but a little earlier in the article it says, "The Vatican’s Dicastery for the Causes of Saints issued a clarification saying the child was actually born during the horror of the killings and received 'baptism by blood' of its martyred mother."

And from another article:
Some news reports incorrectly reported that the baby was the first unborn child to be beatified. The Vatican’s Dicastery for the Causes of Saints clarified Sept. 5 that the child was a newborn, adding that it received a “baptism of blood” and was therefore included among the martyrs.
--> --> The Vatican says a newborn martyr had a ‘baptism of blood.’ What does that mean? [Explainer]

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Hmmmm then again it goes back to. Where did they get the information that the baby was born at the moment of the moms execution. That seems to contradict eye witness's at the time

According to this report
"At dawn on March 24, 1944, military policemen arrived at the house of Jozef Ulma. There were soon thereafter a few shots heard -- the Jews were killed first," Szpytma continued. Jozef and Wiktoria Ulma were then "led out of the house and executed."

A witness to the tragedy testified that "the children were calling for their parents, but the parents were already dead. It was a shocking sight."

Szpytma explained that "having shot the parents, among the yells, the policemen started to discuss what to do with the children." It was decided the children should also be executed.

And so died the Ulmas' six children "and the seventh child in his mother's womb, just a few days before the day of his planned birth. In just a few dozen minutes 17 people were killed," recalled Szpytma.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
SoulBiter wrote: Hmmmm then again it goes back to. Where did they get the information that the baby was born at the moment of the moms execution. That seems to contradict eye witness's at the time

[…]
I dunno. We've canonized thousands upon thousands (upon thousands) of Saints over the ages. Prolly a whole buttload of factoids have been contradicted by eye witnesses at the time. But the Magisterium has ruled, and life goes on.

What I find far more interesting than the inevitable and endless parade of historical objections/revisions are the implications that canonizing (thus of baptizing) the unborn or semi-born or whatnot would have for Sacramental Theology. I don't study much SacTheo, but it would be a fascinating development and fun to be on the inside-track of it.

Return to “The Close”