Hidden sense where it's not present

A haven for game threads.

Moderator: Damelon

Lord Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Lord Foul »

No, not like finding it where it's hidden well. Like finding it where it wasn't supposed to be, like the absence of a black cat in a dark room. Pompous analysis of a silly song, a simple cartoon, an advertisement and the like. You can charge the next poster with something specific, give some choice or ask for whatever senseless terror he or she chanced to meet most recently.

How it can be done: “Oops!...I Did It Again”, performed be Britney Spears, has the central topic of guilt, which is what the main character suffers from, bemoaning her absent innocence and her careless attitude to loyalty.

Next is the TV advertisement you've seen most recently.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

The new Fanta advert is an overblown computer-animation in which an androgynous youth wrestles with his/her fear and loathing while preparing to bungee-jump from a bridge under the cheering (or jeering) of his peers, while peering through square glasses down the maw of his terror. His angst is encapsulated in the slogan, "The New taste of Fanta, it's deliciously orange", the subtext being that the old Fanta was not delicious, and therefore the young person's fears are invalid.... he/she jumps----

Next topic: Batman: the Dark Knight Rises.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

I couldn't remember a recent TV ad when I saw this first, I generally don't tend to watch TV. And then I mentioned an ad and thought that it could definitely get an explanation, some lemonade, if I'm not mistaken, exactly Fanta - I only walked near the room with that on, so hard to say for sure, lots of orange liquid. And so, I come here and see what you posted))

My explanation was different though: Kids, don't drink bottled chemical kits,
Spoiler
you'll get orange vomit!
Batman: the Dark Knight Rises is supposed to tell you how hard, demanding and lacking in gratitude a superhero job is. You can try your best and wish to do good, but the people still hate you, feel disgusted by you and even think that somebody who dresses like that may be in need of clothes with particularly long sleeves and a room with soft walls.

Next: any ear worm you currently have or can remember first
A role-player, beware
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Effaeldm wrote:Next: any ear worm you currently have or can remember first
My current ear worm is quite a lovely one:
"Wǒ de shén wǒ yào jìng bài ni."

But anyways, I'm an American.
And lots of Americans put forth the idea that "Everyone who wants to live here should just learn English. What's their problem?"
We don't know what the deal is about tonal languages, cultural differences or all that stufffff!

Therefore, I will assume that the people singing this song, in spite of its lovely and haunting melody... and the Chinese characters that were being projected up on the screen at the time... (you'd think that would give me a hint) are speaking in English.

That makes it:
"Wooh duh shun wooh yow ching by knee."

The "Yow!" implies that someone just got kicked really hard or something.
Someone is being shunned, (duh!) and they are going to deal with that by kneeing someone.

The second line, "wǒ de xīn shēn shēn de ài ni" would become:
"Wooh dee shin shun shun de eye knee."
Now someone's really gonna get it: there's lots more shunning happening, and someone's shin is vulnerable... I'm not sure why they let their eye get by the knee of the person being shunned, but there you go!
Bammo - more evidence to support my conclusion! :lol:

(Thanks for this idea - enjoyed doing this one. :biggrin:)
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

linna - give the next misunderstandment please...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Linna Heartbooger

Right: Next one is a jingle or tagline from an advertisement of your choice.
(I want to say preferably from an ad from Warcraft or an online game for hilarity.)

You've coined a word, I think, Sarge: "misunderstandment."
I like it... it has a little resonance with "understated," too.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Linna Heartlistener wrote:Right: Next one is a jingle or tagline from an advertisement of your choice.
Sorry, Linna, I don't do online games, except that about once a year I go to orisinal.com.

"Tom Tom Sweet, baby fresh like Ahhh
Tom Tom Sweet, baby cool like Ohh
Tom Tom Sweet, baby black and white
Tom Tom Sweet, baby cool like ice,
Hey-o, give me the Tom Tom
Hey-o, I value the Tom Tom
Hey-o, I'm feeling the Tom Tom
I value the Tom Tom
Give me the Tom Tom
Sweet."

Embedded deep within this African jingle is a message of peace and harmony, of racial reconciliation and an end to tribal feudalism; a message that West Africa must receive and take to heart in order to survive. Look and listen carefully; don't become distracted by the throbbing rhythms and synchronized harmonies of the radio jingle. To wit:
- Calling the listener "baby", a universal endearment and acknowledgment that we are all children of one Creator. The adjectives "fresh" and "cool" hint tantalizingly at the freshness of youth, the coolness of growing into adults capable of making choices.
- "Black and white" is the payload of this message, delivered with subtle reiteration of the "baby" theme.
- "Ice" is an obscure yet iconic reference to Vanilla Ice, the first Caucasian rapper, who embodies racial equality and harmony.
- "Value" (doubly iterated) is ascribed, because we must value each other as human beings, whether we are black or white.
- "Feeling" is located strategically, using chiastic emphasis, as a way of appealing to the emotional level of humanity.

Who knew that TomTom, the quintessential Nigerian candy, would also make a play to be her secret broker of peace and an end to crisis.

Next hidden sense where there is none challenge: An analysis of changes in prevailing fashion colors this year.

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Linna Heartbooger

You are brilliant, dear!
deer of the dawn wrote:To wit:
- Calling the listener "baby", a universal endearment and acknowledgment that we are all children of one Creator. The adjectives "fresh" and "cool" hint tantalizingly at the freshness of youth, the coolness of growing into adults capable of making choices...
LOL! :haha:
Also, I think you get lots of bonus points for "to wit."
Who knew that TomTom, the quintessential Nigerian candy, would also make a play to be her secret broker of peace and an end to crisis.
:banana:
If only... right?

Also, :hug: ...I'm suspecting/hoping that was somewhat cathartic!

I like the fashion colors challenge...
-Flannery O'Connor

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

If only... right?

Also, ...I'm suspecting/hoping that was somewhat cathartic!
Yes, and btw the jingle is real, I didn't make that up. :)

Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Got no idea on these actually, but looks like someone has to take the scary challenge)

Google found this on a fashion blog:
blog.rockbottomt-shirts.com/2012/01/31/three-prevailing-fashion-color-trends-in-2012/
"...there are several new color trends. Yet on the other hand, many of the new trends appear to represent the completion of changes that began unfolding in 2011" It also enlists Bold Colors, Lively Neutrals and Organic Colors.

This means this is the year of finalizing changes, maybe connected to the predictions for the end of 2012, like what is written in Wikipedia: "The 2012 phenomenon comprises a range of eschatological beliefs according to which cataclysmic or transformative events will occur on 21 December 2012. This date is regarded as the end-date of a 5,125-year-long cycle in the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar."

However, it also mentions the new things and possible other variants. Let's have a look at them. Bold is quite clear - it is about being brave in the face of changes, which is surely needed in the times of change. Lively Neutrals are a bit harder to understand - lively should mean holding on to life eagerly, but neutral - likely that means not getting biased and remaining fair. Organic is perhaps clearer than anything - it means being close to the nature, appreciating and taking care of it.

Next task: anyone seen the new Lady Gaga's perfume promotion?
A role-player, beware
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

The perfume promotion for Lady Gaga Fame perfume shows her in a black mask, with smaller people crawling on her, and the bottle of the Fame perfume.

I suppose the smaller people represent some kind of fairies charged with spreading around good fragrance, and the shape of the bottle and lid of the perfume suggest a hand grenade, as if the fragrance is a powerful force for promoting olfactory pleasure.

Next task: What is in the news lately that makes you feel surprisingly hopeful?
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

my retirement next year. but then i should be terrified after 24 yrs here. and i need to find another income.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “In Pursuit of Mallory”