Ricardo Montalban as Khan in "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Star Trek TOS

Ricardo Montalban as Khan in "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"

In "Space Seed," Ricardo Montalban's performance as Khan absolutely defined the ultimate Star Trek villain, and it was seemingly impossible to imagine that the actor could improve upon his first appearance. However, an older, embittered, and revenge-obsessed version of the character gave Montalban the opportunity to do just that.

After detecting life readings where none were expected, Captain Terrell and First officer Chekov of the starship Reliant beam down to what they believe is Ceti Alpha 6 and discover the Botany Bay cargo carriers and their occupants. From the very first moment that Khan appears in the film, his mere presence demands our complete attention, and there's just something about how his appearance has changed and his behavior that has an "electromagnetic" effect on his every scene.

CHEKOV: Khan!
KHAN: I don't know you. ...But you, ...I never forget a face, Mister ...Chekov. Isn't it? I never thought to see your face again.
TERRELL: Chekov, who is this man?
CHEKOV: A criminal, Captain, ...a product of late twentieth century genetic engineering.
TERRELL: What do you want with us? Sir, I demand...
KHAN: You are in a position to demand nothing, sir. I, on the other hand, am in a position to grant ...nothing. What you see is all that remains of the ship's company and crew of the Botany Bay, marooned here fifteen years ago by Captain James T. Kirk.

Montalban's performance is masterful in that a lesser actor would be practically gritting his teeth, delivering their lines here, given the character's apparent frustration and anger. But Khan speaks every word with restrained charm and charisma until his resolve finally erodes when Chekov defends Kirk's actions, and Khan's pent-up fury is unleashed, if only briefly.

TERRELL: I've never even met Admiral Kirk.
KHAN: Admiral? Admiral! Admiral... Never told you how Admiral Kirk sent seventy of us into exile on this barren sand heap with only the contents of these cargo bays to sustain us?
CHEKOV: You lie! On Ceti Alpha Five there was life, a fair chance.
KHAN: This is Ceti Alpha Five. ...Ceti Alpha Six exploded six months after we were left here. The shock shifted the orbit of this planet and everything was laid waste. Admiral Kirk ...never bothered to check on our progress. It was only the fact of my genetically engineered intellect that enabled us to survive! On Earth, ...two hundred years ago, ...I was a prince, ...with power over millions.

After a moment, Khan realizes the presence of Star Fleet officers on his planet is surprising and meaningful, which inspires some of Khan's most famous lines skillfully performed by Montalban.

KHAN: You didn't expect to find me. You thought this was Ceti Alpha Six! Why are you here? ...Why are you here? ...Why? ...Allow me introduce you to Ceti Alpha Five's only remaining indigenous lifeform. ...What do you think? They've killed twenty of my people, including my beloved wife. ...Oh, not all at once, ...and not ...instantly, to be sure. ...You see, their young enter through the ears ...and wrap themselves around the cerebral cortex. This has the effect of rendering the victim extremely susceptible to suggestion. Later, ...they grow, ...follows madness. ...And death.

When next we meet Khan he has taken control of the Reliant and is setting his plans in motion. Again Montalban's portrayal of Khan is reinforced with some of his most iconic dialog.

KHAN'S NAVIGATOR: Course to intercept Enterprise ready, sir.
KHAN: Helmsman?
JOACHIM: Sir. May I speak? ...We're all with you, sir, but consider this. We are free. We have a ship and the means to go where we will. We have escaped permanent exile on Ceti Alpha Five. You have proved your superior intellect, and defeated the plans of Admiral Kirk. You do not need to defeat him again.
KHAN: He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him. I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up. ...Prepare to alter course.

Khan's referencing of passages from the works of Shakespeare, Melville and Milton remind me of how we ourselves reference lines of dialog from Star Trek to help others understand our meaning. It's a nice touch and has been true to the character since "Space Seed".

Then later as the Reliant is silently approaching the Enterprise...

JOACHIM: They're requesting communications, sir.
KHAN: Let them eat static!
JOACHIM: They're still running with shields down.
KHAN: Of course. We're one big happy fleet. Ah, Kirk, my old friend, do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us 'Revenge is a dish that is best served cold?' It is very cold ...in space.

This Khan has been unalterably changed by what he has endured on Ceti Alpha 5 and it is demonstrated off camera by what Captain Terrell tells Kirk about his actions.

KIRK: Captain. Where's Doctor Marcus? Where are the Genesis materials?
TERRELL: He couldn't find them. Even the data banks were empty.
KIRK: Erased?
TERRELL: He tortured those people. But none of those people would tell him anything. He went wild. He slit their throats. He wanted to tear the place apart, but he was late. He had to get back to Reliant in time to blow you to bits.
SAAVIK: Where is the Reliant crew? Dead?
TERRELL: Marooned on Ceti Alpha Five. He's completely mad, Admiral. He blames you for the death of his wife.
KIRK: I know what he blames me for...

In the Genesis cave, after the Enterprise escaped from the Reliant, Khan steals the Genesis torpedo, leaving Kirk and the landing party anguished and defeated. But Kirk refuses to give up and attempts to trick Khan once more. Montalban gives Khan an amazing level of emotional depth in his response..

KIRK: You were going to kill me, Khan. You're going to have to come down here! You're going to have to come down here!
KHAN: I've done far worse than kill you, ...I've hurt you. And I wish to go on ...hurting you. I shall leave you as you left me. As you left her. Marooned for all eternity in the center of a dead planet, ...buried alive. Buried alive!

Kirk and the landing party escape and return to the Enterprise. After a final pitch battle with the Reliant, Khan is finally defeated. But in his final act of defiance, Khan activates the Genesis torpedo in the hope that its detonation will destroy Kirk and the Enterprise. Khan's last words, performed beautifully by Montalban, are some of the most quoted dialogue in the history of Star Trek.

KHAN: No! ...No! You can't get away. ...From Hell's heart, ...I stab at thee. For hate's sake I spit my last breath ...at thee.

Ricardo Montalban's return as Khan has become the gold standard for any example of an actor reprising a beloved role years later and improving and elevating their character beyond all expectations.

Finally, as to the scene where Khan recognizes Chekov I have never found any fault in it. Khan only states that he has seen Chekov's face before not that they have ever met. It was established in "Space Seed" that Khan was free to scan Star fleet records and with Khan's enhanced intelligence and memory he could easily have run across the ensign's picture and retained it without giving it any special consideration. Chekov of course would have been told about and shown records of the Enterprise's previous encounter with Khan given the event's infamous nature. IMHO.🖖
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I watched a video of Riccardo Montalban describing being offered the role and again and how hard it was to get back into the "skin" of Khan. He said after he memorized the lines and started to play them back to his dismay he sounded like Roarke from Fantasy Island. So he had them send him the shots from that episode so he could figure out the character again and after 3 replays he finally shrugged off the Roarke character and was able to "find" this new Khan, much like the old but focused on revenge this time because he blamed Kirk for the death of his wife.

But as we all know he figured it out and no one could have played that character as well as he did. He was the consummate villain and the perfect villain for Kirk and his crew.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

IMDB has a list of 172 things he’s been in. I only know him from this, Fantasy Island, and when he was the murderer on an episode of Colombo. But that’s enough to know he’s amazing. Definitely my favorite of the Trek movies, mainly because of him.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

One thing that stuck out to me was how he retorted Admiral. It was the right nuances of contempt, disbelief and anger. He deleivered that line so well for a minute we are almost hooked to say to ourselves ....yeah get that stinking high ego driven Admiral!
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”