Grace Lee Whitney as Yeoman Rand "MIRI"

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Star Trek TOS: MIRI
Grace Lee Whitney as Yeoman Janice Rand

"Children who never age. Eternal childhood, filled with play, no responsibilities. It's almost like a dream."

Grace Lee Whitney's Yeoman Rand helped define Star Trek early in Season One and quickly became a fan favorite. She was perfectly cast as Rand and was an excellent actor, possessed of beauty, charm, and a playful wit. Grace played each scene with the confidence and authenticity of a film star and the talent to portray the character's quiet vulnerability and brassy confidence with ease. Whitney's allure and natural charisma created pitch-perfect chemistry with her co-stars which helped make Rand so memorable.

In "MIRI," Rand largely plays a supporting role for much of the episode, making helpful observations and suggestions as the landing party discovers the children and the disease that has made them incredibly long-lived. Almost immediately, the crew begins showing signs of being infected by the same disease which, if untreated will become fatal. As the affliction progresses it affects their personalities, making them more aggressive, and also more desperate as the time to discover a cure dwindles.

Rand and Kirk's most memorable scene occurs when tempers flare in the laboratory, and Rand reaches an emotional boiling point. Overwhelmed, she runs out of the room with Kirk not far behind.

KIRK: Haven't you found a thing yet?
MCCOY: Would you like to take a crack at it?
RAND: No! No! No!

Kirk catches up to Rand out in the corridor while Miri watches nearby.

RAND: I'm upset, so upset. Back on the ship, I used to try to get you to look at my legs. Captain, look at my legs.
KIRK: We're all frightened.

Whitney's performance here is excellent. She helps us to understand and feel Rand's fear and hopelessness with the despair in her eyes and the fatalistic pain in her voice. Her comments suggest that she believes the playful flirtation they used to share during happier times may never happen again as the disease rapidly overtakes them.

Misunderstanding their relationship, Miri kidnaps Rand to eliminate her as a romantic rival for Kirk's affections setting up the final act where Kirk must save Rand and retrieve their stolen communicators before time runs out to save himself and the rest of the landing party, except Spock who is at the very least a carrier of the disease. Kirk ultimately triumphs, McCoy injects himself with the untested cure but survives and everyone is saved.

In every scene in which she appeared, Grace Lee Whitney's performance as Yeoman Rand stood out among those of her equally talented co-stars. Her contributions added to the excellence that the Star Trek production crew had been striving for, in order to make TOS one of the finest series of its kind on television. 🖖
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

She was great. And that line stands out above most, by her or anyone else. Even as a kid, I realized it was a powerful moment.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I just saw a post on Facebook today that had a still of scene from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. The scene showed the crew walking in from stage right to a hall. Sitting in the front row of the “audience” was both Rand and Chapel. The post pointed out that this is the only scene in all of Star Trek that has the full TOS crew in it, since Rand was no longer part of the crew after season 1 and Chekhov didn’t come on board until season 2.

Of course now that I’m looking for it to screenshot it, I can’t find it…
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I saw the same thing. Its really a shame that she was not included more and originally she had the same billing as Shatner and Nimoy. But for women of that time, that industry was horrible to many women, her included. In some instances it was "put out our get out".

I have not read them, but she wrote some memoirs a few years before her death where she said that she was sexually assaulted by an executive for NBC/Star Trek at the end of the wrap party. She never named who it was, but said that she owned some of the blame (I disagree in the strongest terms) for putting herself in the position for it to happen and alcohol played a factor (at least on her side). But because of that incident she was written out of the show. Nimoy was the only one who knew what happened and only because she had gone to his house that night disheveled and a crying mess and told him the whole thing. She credits Leonard Nimoy for getting her a part in the Movies. But that incident was a catalyst for many years of drinking that ruined much of what was left of her career.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”