Cauliflower!

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Cauliflower!

Post by peter »

Damn, it doesn't get any simpler or better than this.

Take a decent sized cauliflower and cut off the base so as to give a flat surface for it to stand on.

Put it head down in a deep pan of heavily salted water (imagine the taste of sea-water and go for that). Boil it until the fork goes in nice and easy, but not so much as it is collapsing.

(Now I should say at this point, that when I cooked this recently, instead of doing the whole head whole, I broke out the big florets and cooked it in about six pieces. It worked just as well and was probably easier to get to the right degree of softness when boiling.)

Place the head (or florets) onto a wire rack or draining surface and leave to go cold. At the very least it must stop steaming - say around 25 minutes - but the colder it gets, the better the final dish.

When cold, dress with a good olive oil (they always say that don't they - hey, use the best you have to hand....it'll be okay) and put the well dressed head/florets onto a hot baking tray and give a last sprinkling with ground salt (not too much.....it's already pretty well seasoned from the water). Put into a really hot oven. Go 450 (2220 C) or thereabouts if your oven will do it. Now leave it until it really starts to brown up and caramelise. You'll almost see little bits of burnt black appearing on the tips here and there (in fact you will) and this is good. You want that brown almost burnt look for the flavour. (Don't be silly though - I don't mean like a charred mass on a plate here! Just do it until it looks as good as you dare.)

Now take it out and serve it, maybe with a drizzle of olive oil or whatever, and I promise. What you put in your mouth will be like no cauliflower you have ever eaten before. It'll be sweet and unctuous. You'll eat it hot in slices with aioli and onion houmous, finish it off cold for your supper, it'll be great. And no ordinary cauliflower with the shit boiled out of it will ever do it for you again. Promise.

:)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Cauliflower!

Post by Menolly »

Interesting, peter.

I’ve done a roasted cauliflower with olive oil, lemon juice, and capers, if I remember correctly. But it didn’t call for boiling the cauliflower first, just roasting at high heat for a good hour or so.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Cauliflower!

Post by peter »

Yes, same here Menolly.

I've had roasted cauliflower before as well, but this technique seems to bring it to a different level - and quite remarkably so.

It was a YouTube posting that (as you do) I took with a pinch of salt ( ;) ) but true to the guy's claims it really does work a bit of magic. With the initial salting, I followed my normal 'pasta routine' of salting to the point of tasting like say, the level of a soup I would eat, but then went a bit more. As I say, I finished up with a slightly heavier saltiness than I'd ordinarily go for with vegetable cooking, a bit more tending towards sea-saltiness.

Give it a try one day when you are kicking your heels for something to do. I'd love to get your opinion. I personally love the sweetness that roasting gives to vegetables.

:)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Cauliflower!

Post by Savor Dam »

Tried this preparation tonight. One two-pound head of cauliflower, trimmed and roughly divided in thirds for the household, boiled in salted water until al dente, then drained and allowed to cool to room temperature.

Blotted, seasoned, and seared bone-in skin-on chicken thighs on both sides, removed chicken and tossed cauliflower in seasoned fat, added chicken thighs, back in, and roasted all at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes. Cauliflower and chicken skin were showing appropriate browning; clock said household would expect dinner.

There were no complaints at service. No cauliflower survived, but the planned-over chicken thighs are on-hand for their lunches tomorrow. Tomorrow is the observance of what I persist in calling Armistice Day (my grandfather would call it nothing else; since he was there, I honor that); since both Dam-sel and Menolly work in school systems that take the day as a holiday, no more elaborate lunch arrangements are needed.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Cauliflower!

Post by Menolly »

The cauliflower was tasty, but it still tasted more of boiled cauliflower than roasted to me. I have no complaints with that, as I like boiled cauliflower. But, I usually prepare it at table with butter and dried dill weed, which I didn’t do this time since it was roasted.

Return to “The Galley”