American Thanksgiving

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

American Thanksgiving

Post by Menolly »

Alright. Thanksgiving feast 2023 is complete.

The spread showing the crockpot with stuffing

A more traditional angle

Individual items

Deviled eggs
Half topped with paprika, half topped with dried dill weed

Bird is the word

Mostly carved for service for four, with what’s left kept aside for planned overs

Crockpot stuffing

No starch thickener gravy

Homemade cranberry sauce

Green bean casserole made by @Savor Dam

Corn pudding fresh out of the oven. Recipe available towards the start of this thread

An interior shot of the corn pudding. I finally made my taller pudding, @Fist and Faith !
I used a 2-quart 8”x8” Corningware casserole. The cooktime took about 90 minutes, due to the deeper casserole, rather than the 35 to 40 minutes for a 9”x13” pan stated in the recipe

My dinner plate, minus a slice of Dam-sel’s pumpkin bread. She didn’t want individual photos of her contributions (pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie), but you can see the Bundt shaped pumpkin bread in the table long photo of the full spread

The turkey broken down and packaged for planned overs
Far left: the breast meat which was still on the bird sliced for sandwiches
Middle: legs, wings, what was left from service, and what I was able to pick off of the carcass
Far right: the carcass broken down and bagged to be frozen until I make my next batch of Instant Pot bone broth

If anyone wants recipes for anything, I’m happy to share.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

American Thanksgiving

Post by SoulBiter »

A great looking meal!!! Well except for the Green Bean Casserole... not my fav LOL
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

American Thanksgiving

Post by Menolly »

My favorite use of Thanksgiving planned overs. Be forewarned, this is a long one.
Here is the recipe I base my version on.

https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main ... dwich.html

Doctored up Copycat Bennigan’s Monte Cristo Sandwich 

I started with the planned over crockpot stuffing.

I then heated up a thin level of extra light olive oil in a pan

Whipped an egg and mixed into the stuffing as a binder

Shaped the stuffing to be about the same size as the keto sandwich slices and fried it up to help it hold together 

Almost ready

The recipe doesn’t call for it, but I like putting Gulden’s mustard on the ham side and Best Foods mayonnaise on the turkey side 

American cheese on the ham side and provolone cheese on the turkey side to start. We had some bacon left from Sunday morning, so I decided to add that to the ham side as well 

Two slices of ham rolled up and split in half on one side, planned over turkey meat on the other. We’re only 3 or 4 typically for Thanksgiving, so I used Boar’s Head sliced ham from the deli. But if one has both planned over turkey and ham, this is a good use for it

I reversed the cheese I covered each side with, so both sides have a slice of American and a slice of provolone on them

I put the stuffing patty over the turkey side, as I felt the ham side would be the easier side to flip over without things falling apart and out

Triple decker assembled

I had forgotten that the sandwich holds together better if wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and allowed to sit overnight with a weight on top. So, I did it for an hour

In the refrigerator being pressed for an hour. Overnight would be better

Egg and water whipped together, salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder 

to make a thick batter for dipping 

After the hour under weight in the refrigerator 

The recipe doesn’t say to cut the sandwich in half before dipping into the batter, but that is my memory of how Bennigan’s did it. So, the toothpicks are placed for two triangular halves
As Kenji says: “Triangles taste better!”

Pressed, picked, and sliced in half. Ready for batter

The recipe calls for deep frying, but I don’t have a dedicated deep fryer other than my turkey deep fryer, and I dislike using so much oil in a pan. I have found with gentle handling, shallow frying works fine.
Start by frying the long cut edge of each half

Continue to flip and cook the edges first. I find this helps prevent items from falling out

Last of the three edges

First full side

Flipped and doing the other side

Finished in the pan and resting on paper towels 

The two halves now cut in half and showing the exposed innards

Plated for service with a dusting of powdered sugar and planned over cranberry sauce for dipping instead of the usual raspberry preserves

Truthfully, I wound up giving one quarter to @Savor Dam. I should have given him half of the sandwich and I would have still been satiated.

Return to “The Galley”