High Lord Elena

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

High Lord Elena

Post by Savor Dam »

(referring to @Helen Blood 's lengthy and noteworthy post on prior page)

That is the kind of analysis at which the Watch once excelled. Well done!

The Falkner bits hit pretty hard. Hadn't made those connections before; despite knowing SRD would draw on such literary roots as a young author nee literature student. Next reread will be colored with those perspectives.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

High Lord Elena

Post by Cord Hurn »

Excellent post all around, Helen Blood!
Helen Blood wrote:But I'm thinking he was distracted by some of his other feelings about her and maybe just didn't want it to be true. Also, even knowing how time moves differently in the Land, it's a little disorienting that she's actually older than him by about twelve years at this point. And of course, he had no way of knowing he'd made Lena pregnant.
I believe this absolutely nails the reasons why Covenant couldn't connect Elena with her mother, even with the clue of the Atiaran/Trell family symbol of leaves woven on her tunic.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

High Lord Elena

Post by Cord Hurn »

Helen Blood wrote:So yeah; she's one of my favorite characters, and one I feel sorriest for. I may disagree with some of her decisions, but can't help responding to her as most of the other characters do: with longing and dread.
Elena has often affected me that way when I read about her, for sure! :clap: :clap: :clap:
:hearts: :crazy:

Though she's talented, she's no genius, but boy is she SINCERE! 8O
Helen Blood
Servant of the Land

High Lord Elena

Post by Helen Blood »

Fist and Faith wrote: I'm very happy you joined us, Ms. Blood. *bow*
(doing my best bad imitation of Elvis:) Thank yuh. Thank yuh verra much....
Savor Dam wrote: (referring to @Helen Blood 's lengthy and noteworthy post on prior page)

That is the kind of analysis at which the Watch once excelled. Well done!

The Falkner bits hit pretty hard. Hadn't made those connections before; despite knowing SRD would draw on such literary roots as a young author nee literature student. Next reread will be colored with those perspectives.
Thanks also to you--I kinda remember something about Donaldson reading Faulkner "for style" as he was preparing to write First Chronicles--but I don't mean to imply there was any overt connection. Just that it's the kind of plotline, when you sum it up, that could fit in the Southern Gothic genre, of which Faulkner is the most ready example. If, you know, it happened in Yoknatapawpha County. Which makes me think of another nugget, from the Gradual Interview I think--someone had asked about the location of Haven Farm, and Donaldson answered that it was based on Anchorage Farm, where he lived in New Jersey, but that the town nearby was "much further south." I immediately said: Yoknatapawpha! Aloud. Luckily I was alone.
Cord Hurn wrote: Excellent post all around, Helen Blood!
Helen Blood wrote:But I'm thinking he was distracted by some of his other feelings about her and maybe just didn't want it to be true. Also, even knowing how time moves differently in the Land, it's a little disorienting that she's actually older than him by about twelve years at this point. And of course, he had no way of knowing he'd made Lena pregnant.
I believe this absolutely nails the reasons why Covenant couldn't connect Elena with her mother, even with the clue of the Atiaran/Trell family symbol of leaves woven on her tunic.
Thanks--and, the leaf pattern! I'd forgotten about that! At that first meeting, didn't her hair partially cover it or something? I think he kind of suspected in the back of his mind, but had a lot else to think about.
"Books break the shackles of time. A book is proof that humans are capable of working magic."
--Carl Sagan

"In that moment the earth made no sound
But you were there
You helped me lift my pain into the air"
--Remy Zero

I think the eye of the paradox just winked at me...

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”