Ripley

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Ripley

Post by peter »

For anyone who was a fan of the two Ripley films, based on the character and stories of the Patricia Highsmith novels, this Netflix series is going to be a must.

I'm three episodes in and can confirm that Andrew Scott is bringing his own twist to the notorious antihero, leaning perhaps more toward the cold calculating Malkovich persona, rather than Damon's slightly bewildered representation that I'm not sure was what Highsmith intended.

In The Talented Mr Ripley, which tells the same story as this series, Ripley is drawn into his wrongdoing almost by mistake - it all stems, if you remember, from a borrowed university jacket that he then is embarrassed to admit is not his own - but here we have him presented as a rogue from the outset back in New York, before he has even met the Greenleaf family.

The pace of the programmes is slow, but beautifully stylish in black and white, with some long lingering shots and artistic angles etc. It's Netflix production at its best and I strongly advise giving it a watch.

Scott is cold, almost menacing in his performance, and is well supported by Johnny Flynn and Dakota Fanning as Dickie Greenleaf and Marge Sherwood. Flynn is less ebullient than Jude Law's Greenleaf, more suave and reserved, and Fanning less accepting of Ripley than Gwyneth Paltrow, differences which give the version its own subtleties and nuances, and make it a production worthy of spending time with. The music score is understated and episode 2 (or 3?) has a great scene in which Dickie and Tom Ripley sit and listen in a club to a female jazz singer who, given the time to sing her song, is truly mesmerising.

Yes, I'm very happy with what Netflix has done here, and hoping that the series will survive to make further runs at different Highsmith novels detailing Ripley's adventures.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “TV Shows”