For Those Who Have Read Song of Susannah . . .

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Roland of Gilead wrote:Usaqi wrote:

"Though I thought he would be the guy at the top of the tower just typing on a typewriter till the end of time, creating the universe or some such."

If King had written it that way, I hope he would have had the decency to have Roland draw his revolver and riddle the damned writer full of holes. :x
I never gave the theory that HE was the Crimson King any weight. King much more imaginative than that.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

When I was about fifteen years old (thirty-five years ago), I wrote a story from the first-person soldier character's point of view, thinking he had just achieved victory in a battle, only to see it snatched away for no reason. The reason, of course, turned out to be a kid playing with his toys and putting them away for the night.

My point is, I thought from my naive teenage perspective that this was a truly brilliant concept. Well now, from a more mature standpoint and experience in reading hundreds of books, I think it's the biggest cliche in all of literature. So if King turned in a resolution to his lifework that turns out to be that he was just writing and cranking out the whole DT universe from his little "ivory tower" of artistic creation . . . well, I loathe that idea, and I would like to see Roland blow that conceited overblown author with delusions of grandeur right out the window of his freakin' Tower.

Which is why I'm still not altogether on board for this character of himself turning up in the story . . . but I'm trying to accept it. :roll:
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Usagi
Stonedownor

Post by Usagi »

Oh I know it's a cliche. I've read enough short stories like that, hell I've even written a few lol. Honestly I don't think we will hear any more on the subject of that character. I just meant that it was the first thought when he started merging book worlds, so I've always had a feeling he'd put himself in.

What I have been thinking about is Jake and Callahan. Callahan has never used a gun and Jake has only practiced with the plates. What do you think mada Jake go from being suicidal to thinking they actually have a chance.
Is it that he knows Susannah is still alive and it isn't just Mia, or does he think he can use what she dropped?
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Usagi wrote:Oh I know it's a cliche. I've read enough short stories like that, hell I've even written a few lol. Honestly I don't think we will hear any more on the subject of that character. I just meant that it was the first thought when he started merging book worlds, so I've always had a feeling he'd put himself in.

What I have been thinking about is Jake and Callahan. Callahan has never used a gun and Jake has only practiced with the plates. What do you think mada Jake go from being suicidal to thinking they actually have a chance.
Is it that he knows Susannah is still alive and it isn't just Mia, or does he think he can use what she dropped?
Callahan is a dead man. OY is likely toast, but Jake, my friend Usagi is a Gunslinger through and through. His growth in the last 2 books is something to behold.... He may even let OY save him (shades of Roland dropping Jake himself in the mineshaft of the Mts. in DT1) knowing it means death for his friend. Anyway, Jake has become one hard cookie. He is going to rescue Susannah (in the short term at least).

ImageImage
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

I agree that Jake has become a gunslinger in the truest sense of the word. However, I think Oy might be his Achilles heel. Leaving him behind in the doorway cave is one thing . . . letting him die so Jake can move on is another kettle of fish entirely.

Jake will use the plates very effectively, because he's mastered Roland's aiming mantra about the hand and the heart and the mind.

Callahan - I can't figure that dude out. He must do something very critical in the quest . . . or why bring him into the story at all? Unless it was just to get the reader wrapped around the idea of King himself being a real person in this fantasy world?

If I was forced to cast my vote for who dies right now . . . I'd say either Eddie or Susannah by the mid-point of Dark Tower VII. And Roland at the end, in some very heroic self-sacrifice. Jake, representing the future, will live for sure.
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Roland of Gilead wrote:I agree that Jake has become a gunslinger in the truest sense of the word. However, I think Oy might be his Achilles heel. Leaving him behind in the doorway cave is one thing . . . letting him die so Jake can move on is another kettle of fish entirely.

Jake will use the plates very effectively, because he's mastered Roland's aiming mantra about the hand and the heart and the mind.

Callahan - I can't figure that dude out. He must do something very critical in the quest . . . or why bring him into the story at all? Unless it was just to get the reader wrapped around the idea of King himself being a real person in this fantasy world?

If I was forced to cast my vote for who dies right now . . . I'd say either Eddie or Susannah by the mid-point of Dark Tower VII. And Roland at the end, in some very heroic self-sacrifice. Jake, representing the future, will live for sure.
Roland: Will Jake (the symbolic son) kill Mordred the biological son of Roland? AND...recall that the Kid from insomnia (Pat?) will SAVE the life of two men, one of whic hmust reach the tower....this in the year 2015.

ANY IDEAS on how this will happen?!!

I think Susie is dead, btw.

ImageImage
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Gunslinger, I'd forgotten those details regarding Pat. That implies that King will introduce yet another timeline into his story. Man, I don't see how he's going to wrap this shebang up in 700 pages.

Jake knocking off Mordred is an interesting idea.

Susannah does look in deep doodoo, I agree. :cry:
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Roland of Gilead wrote:Gunslinger, I'd forgotten those details regarding Pat. That implies that King will introduce yet another timeline into his story. Man, I don't see how he's going to wrap this shebang up in 700 pages.

What year are Jake and Callahan in in NY?

ImageImage
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

1999? Right? The same year as Susannah/Mia.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

That's what i thought.... the thing is either Patrick Danville nees to find a door, OR a door needs to find him OR Jake/Mordred/OY or Roland/Eddie need to find him.

AHHHHGGGGG!

ImageImage
Usagi
Stonedownor

Post by Usagi »

Roland of Gilead wrote:Gunslinger, I'd forgotten those details regarding Pat. That implies that King will introduce yet another timeline into his story. Man, I don't see how he's going to wrap this shebang up in 700 pages.

Perhaps the year is 2015 in the world Roland is trying to reach the tower in.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Could be Usagi. Danville or those he saves still have to find a door though. Is there a chance that Danville might be the Twinner of Mordred (Black House)?

ImageImage

Return to “Stephen King Forum”