THE ONE TREE, Chapter 12, “Sea-Harm”

TWL, TOT, WGW

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

Dragonlily
Lord

THE ONE TREE, Chapter 12, “Sea-Harm”

Post by Dragonlily »

When Linden awakens, the ship is being thrust before a towering storm.
She feared that Starfare’s Gem was in danger for its life – that any increase in the storm might break the ship apart.
But Linden senses that they haven’t seen anything yet: their course will take them directly to the very worst part of the storm.
A hurricane crouched there, titanic and monstrous. The two storms were crowding together, with Starfare’s Gem between them. Every heave and crash of the dromond ‘s keel angled it closer to the savagery of the stronger blast.
Oh, great.

I find that I have to write about this chapter from an ironic distance, to avoid incandescing from its intensity. "Sea-Harm" starts at fever pitch, and that’s the lowest temperature. Yet Honniscrave has unshakable faith in his ship, and he is practically dancing his delight at the challenge.
Yelling like ecstasy, Honniscrave sent Giants to replace the lost canvas.
Now Linden has an idea. A simple one, you might think, but SRD builds up the suspense for it, by dragging out the difficulty of getting to the ship’s prow in all the wind. Findail's response, when asked for help, is of course to refuse to help in any way. Grieving, he watches as the Sun-Sage is swept overboard into the ocean. It is Vain, immutable Vain, and the accusing Haruchai, who drag her out again. For the sake of the drama, we get to see this through SRD’s eyes, because Linden is too busy drowning to notice the heroics of her rescuers.

Linden has barely recovered when she notices the desperate condition of the ship.
On every level of her senses, the granite vessel burned with strain. It radiated pain like a wracked animal caught in the unanswerable snare of the blast. From stem to stern, mast-top to keel, all the stone was shrill with stress, tortured...
The wind’s fury howled at the hull as if it meant to chew through the stone to get at her.
Starfare’s Gem races across the ocean lying almost on its side, throughout the long hours of wind. Half of belowdecks is filling with water, but Covenant has been brought up from his cabin, and Linden takes a hollow comfort in his proximity. Finally night falls and depression overtakes the exhausted, disheartened crew.

Pitchwife has barely managed to rouse them all with his contagious clowning when a Raver strikes. This time it is electric eels. They swarm up the sides of the ship, up the canted deck, up the walls of Foodfendhall, and up the mast, where Seadreamer has carried the limp form of Covenant. Giants and Haruchai fall to electric shock before Seadreamer and Linden find ways to beat the eels off and destroy them.

The Raver has barely dissipated with a scream of frustration and Linden held the rescued Covenant emptily in her arms, when the tipped Starfare’s Gem begins to sink to its side. The necessary but painful step is to cut away the topheavy mainmast, which, falling, leaves dangerous crush wounds in the hull.

Unsteadily, the ship runs south into the clear. At this point, we can see the end of the chapter and the next chapter title is “Bhrathairain Harbor,” so we know Starfare’s Gem is done with crises for now.

Throughout this chapter, the Giant Galewrath has stood locked at the wheel, in varying degrees of strength and desperation, but unyielding. Her condition is always a reflection of the condition of the ship, as if her will has fused her into its structure.

The entire chapter is like a continuous roll of tsunami crests, one crisis hitting when the last has barely receded. At any moment, we think, something will break, whether in the story or in us, because the tension will go beyond what can be borne. Yet the Giants, SRD among them [how many brownie points do I get for saying that?], bear us bodily over the next unendurable wave and we find ourselves intact on the other side.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Re: THE ONE TREE, Chapter 12, “Sea-Harm”

Post by kastenessen »

Yes, this was an intense chapter!...I was holding my breath and read it with one eye...well almost...He is a master at this SRD, also... :)
Joy wrote:Findail's response, when asked for help, is of course to refuse to help in any way. Grieving, he watches as the Sun-Sage is swept overboard into the ocean.
I was thinking, why didn't Findail help Linden and the ship when she asked? He answered:
The Elohim do not tamper with the life of the Earth. There is no life without structure. We respect the workings of that structure in every guise.
It seems they are unwilling to take action regarding everything; following thoughts that SRD has given words to in different ways in the chrons, that is, that power restricts. They are very afraid of using their power because they know that the outcome can be disastrous, but in the matter of the quest they did an exception(?), they silenced TC. I wonder if Findail and the Elohim have ever heard of the butterfly-effect? Sprung out of chaos-theory it means that small movements from a butterfly's wings on one side of the world effects the weather on the other side.... If Starfares Gem would have been saved from the storm they would have gone straight to the One-Tree, and the story would have maybe taken a different turn...Findail was surely in great distress; seeing the Sun-Sage close to death but didn't die and then TC on his way to the One Tree, but still silenced though...walking a narrow path did they, the Elohim?...and Lindens analysis of them tells her:
Structure, Linden thought. Law. They are who they are. Their might is matched by their limitations. ...Chaos was death. Energy could not exist without constriction. If the Lawless power of the Sunbane grew too strong, it might unbound the very foundations of the Earth.
Piece by piece Linden understands secrets of the Earth and it's Law's. In the end it will surely help her...

Joy wrote:
Throughout this chapter, the Giant Galewrath has stood locked at the wheel, in varying degrees of strength and desperation, but ubyielding. Her condition is always a reflection of the condition of the ship, as if her will has fused her into it's structure.
Yes, it's like the ship is an extension of the Giants and then the other way around too. The ship and the Giants as one...Great job Joy! :)

kastenessen
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

...Chaos was death. Energy could not exist without constriction.
OMG! I never noticed the similarity before! Where is that scientific interlude in GAP, that talks about how chaos and order are dependent on each other? I love that section.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

The storm and fury of the sea! And they have hurricanes! Shall we christen it Hurricane Amok or something? Wonder what the Giantish name for it is.

Experiencing the unpredictable power of the sea through SRD's words is part of what makes TOT so mesmerizing for me. Urban creature that I am, I have no experience of the oceans (or any large bodies of water!), so this is my mind trip out there. Yes, I admit it, I'm pathetic.
Joy wrote:Now Linden has an idea. A simple one, you might think, but SRD builds up the suspense for it, by dragging out the difficulty of getting to the ship’s prow in all the wind. Findail's response, when asked for help, is of course to refuse to help in any way.
I agree, it wasn't much of a suspense regarding Findail's answer to Linden. That's just too easy: ask Findail to save ship, Findail saves ship, end of chapter. No Raver, no eels. If Findail had really been meaning to help Starfare's Gem, he would have given warning of the hurricane much earlier, so that Honninscrave could act in time.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I think this line is superb:
A hurricane crouched there
One word makes the storm a malevolent monster in ambush.
:Hail:
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

You wondered why the last chapter was called A Warning of Serpents. Perhaps Covenant, way down deep in his statius somehow felt, or foresaw, that Foul was mounting another attack against him and that his "snakearms" were symbolic of Ravers and eels? Depending on the size of eels they can look rather sepentine...Just how Foul did this has always puzzled me; was the Raver milling around in the sea waiting for the dromond to return? Did Foul somehow create the hurricane? Was it dumb luck, or perhaps the Soulbiter just happened to cruise near at the wrong time? 8O :?
fall far and well Pilots!
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

I have time enough for a quick reply to this chapter.
The courage and indominable spirit of the Giants fairly screams aloud with JOY to those that hear (read) this chapter. Honniscrave and the other Giants surely feel right at home within this horrific element of the sea challenging them to their limits. All the while (until the Eels attack) Pitchwife aptly expresses the Giant's joy at such work.
Galewrath... the mental image of her standing even with the deck holding Shipshearththew (GOD I love those names). The very strength of the individual and the sheer will not to allow the circumstances overwhem them. WOW.
Findal... don't even want to mention the bastard as the Elohim's sheer arrogance and their pithy excuse for "respecting" the Law.
Seadreamer, such courage even in the agony of his earth-sight. It's almost as if he sees the import of keeping Covenant alive
Spoiler
because he sees the end wrought out by Covenant's doing at the One Tree?? mebbe?

Haruchai: this isn't accurate but: They hate Linden but still do incredible feats to save her. Likewise their feats in saving Covenant. Imagine if Covenant was of full senses the terror he'd felt from being tossed around like a rag doll to avoid being shocked by the eels and then being held out over the water (think now... how high off the surface the prow would be even laying on it's side...) by Seadreamer. Perhaps his silence-ing was a good thing.
Yeah, where exactly and how is a Raver able to just follow them around from place to place and choosing just the right/wrong moments to attack.
The Soul-biter? A manipulation of Foul? hmmm, I'm not wholly convinced.

More later ... great chapter and good dissection.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I did a google search (finally) for the phrase, and this is the first thing on their list:
Chapter 11: A Warning of Serpents
Chapter 11: A Warning of Serpents. "At the parting of our company
in Elemesnedene," he said quietly, as if he did not wish to be ...
theland.antgear.com/tot_11.html - 4k - Cached - Similar pages
No archaic description of grouping seems to be found. Your thought of a reference to Marid, Danlo, is as good as any, I'm sure.
danlo wrote:Did Foul somehow create the hurricane? Was it dumb luck, or perhaps the Soulbiter just happened to cruise near at the wrong time? 8O :?
In chapter 12:
SRD wrote:Her health-sense insisted that the hurricane was a natural one, not a manifestation of deliberate evil.
Durris
Giantfriend

Post by Durris »

Joy wrote:I find that I have to write about this chapter from an ironic distance, to avoid incandescing from its intensity.
Yes, well, SRD does that. Now that you've put it into words I can think of other chapters of which the same thing can be said for very different reasons. (The great caamora of Coercri is another kind of incandescent...)
Joy wrote:"Sea-Harm" starts at fever pitch, and that’s the lowest temperature.
And then it rises to the temperature of electric arcs and combusting eels 8O

Joy, you have an enviable way with words! 8O 8) :Hail:

One simile in this chapter caught my attention:
...until the vessel's poised survival was as fragile as an old bone.
This builds on--and painfully contrasts with--SRD's previous comparisons of the stone ship-structure to bone (in TOT ch. 1) :
That stone surprised Linden. Instinctively, she had questioned the nature of the Giantship, believing that granite would be too brittle to withstand the stress of the seas. But as her vision sprang into the ship, she saw her error. This granite had the slight but necessary flexibility of bone. Its vitality went beyond the limitations of stone.
That flexibility and vitality have been strained to the point of fracture--and the crowning blow is that Honninscrave has to fracture the midmast with his own hands. In gale and rain like that, he couldn't have had a caamora right afterward, either.

The mast-destruction scene raises disturbing echoes of Desecration descriptions in the First Chrons. (both Kevin's history and Trell's attempted desecration in the Close).
For a mad instant, Linden thought that Honninscrave and his crew must be trying to wreck the dromond from within, as if in that way they could make it valueless to the storm, not worth sinking.
danlo wrote:You wondered why the last chapter was called A Warning of Serpents. Perhaps Covenant, way down deep in his statius somehow felt, or foresaw, that Foul was mounting another attack against him and that his "snakearms" were symbolic of Ravers and eels?
I doubt that Covenant foresaw the eels specifically, but the "snakearmed" image connected Covenant with Marid, both Raver-ridden and Sunbane-warped. I think the foreboding of a Raver worked both on Covenant's unconscious and on Linden's percipience when she looked into his mind.
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy is increased.
--Spider Robinson
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Durris wrote:The great caamora of Coercri is another kind of incandescent...
Yes, but that one is wonderful. It requires no ironic protection. :D
Durris wrote:Joy, you have an enviable way with words!
Thank you, praise from Durris is praise indeed.
Durris wrote:I think the foreboding of a Raver worked both on Covenant's unconscious and on Linden's percipience when she looked into his mind.
I'm sure you're right, you and Danlo both. It doesn't preclude "warning of serpents" having another, more arcane reference. I'd still like to know what a group of serpents is called in archaic usage. :)

This chapter lives in my memory of TOT second only to a certain petrifying plot point in the Bhrathairealm section. :wink:
Last edited by Dragonlily on Tue May 11, 2004 3:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Durris
Giantfriend

Post by Durris »

Joy wrote:praise from Durris is praise indeed.
:oops: Aw shucks...you earned it!

"Incandescing from its intensity"...that's one of the more felicitous turns of phrase I've encountered here.
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy is increased.
--Spider Robinson
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I also love the part immediately after some of the quotes already given:
"Then tell Honninscrave what to do! Guide him!"

The Elohim seemed faintly surprised. "Guide-?" But then he shrugged. "Had he inquired, the question would have searched me. In such a case, where would my ethic lie? But it boots nothing now."
Isn't that cool??? Findail was surprised?!?!! Even then, when we met the Elohim only a few chapters ago, I wouldn't have expected that. I guess they don't consider every eventuality after all! :) They were all-powerful (sort of), but not all-knowing; not ethically perfect, even by their own standards.

And what about a few paragraphs back:
Then she gained Findail's side. He glanced at her between plunges; and the sight of him stunned her. He was not wet. The wind did not ruffle his hair; the rain did not touch him. He emerged from every smash into the waves with dry raiment and clear eyes, as if he had turned his flesh to a pitch beyond the reach of any violence of weather or sea.
What a visual I get from that description!! If they leave that part out of the movie, I'll kill them!!!!!!! :D
Durris wrote:"Incandescing from its intensity"...that's one of the more felicitous turns of phrase I've encountered here.
Yeah, that's pretty good. But one time I said, "Was' happenin' momma?" Sorry Joy, but there's no topping that!! :mrgreen:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

LOL. Fist, your grasp of cultural idiom puts my phrasing to shame. :lol:
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I didn't mean to embarass you. :oops:

:lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Was skimming through this chapter and came upon this great song delivered by Pitchwife, the song of Bahgoon the Unbearable to Thelma Twofist:
My love has eyes which do not glow:
Her loveliness is somewhat formed askew,
With blemishes which number not a few,
And pouting lips o'er teeth not in a row.

Her limbs are doughtier than mine,
And what I do not please to give she takes.
Her hair were better kempt with hoes and rakes
Her kiss tastes less of diamondraught than brine.

Her odorescence gives me ill:
Her converse is by wit or grace unlit:
Her raiment would become her if it fit.
So think of me with rue: I love her still.
This song always cracks me up! :lol: How clever it is!

Return to “2nd Chronicles”