TMOHD Chapter 6: A Few Lessons

Mordant's Need group reads

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dANdeLION, Cameraman Jenn

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

TMOHD Chapter 6: A Few Lessons

Post by duchess of malfi »

As we rejoin Terisa, she is being led away through the secret passages behind her wardrobe the mad Adept Havelock. He is quickly leading her down some stairs.
The absence of cobwebs and accumulated dust implied that these stone tunnels were used with some frequency.
He leads her to a room with a hop-board and Master Quillon of the Congery. And something else, too:
And the walls were lined with doors like the one through which Havelock had just entered the room. They were all bound with iron and heavily bolted. Orison, she realized, must be honeycombed with secrets.
Master Quillon explains that he is there to teach her of Mordant, at the requst of Havelock, who still has his lucid moments. He tells her of the histories of Mordant and of the art of Imagery
Both histories, however, are histories of fragmentation.
Mordant was once many petty principalities which existed as a buffer between much more powerful states, Alend and Cadwal. These tiny states were called the Cares. These cares were conquered again and again and again over time, always playing Alend and Cadwal against each other.
But such things are only bloodshed and tyranny. Mordant's plight was made much worse by Imagery.
"I wonder, my lady," he said slowly, "if you possess the knowledge or experience to imagine the havoc dozens of Imagers can wreak, fighting each other and armies as well as innocent men and women who happen to get in the way. Consider it, if you will. here stands an Imager whose glass shows a sea of lava. At his word, molten stone floods outward, devouring its own carnage as it moves. There stands an Imager whose glass shows a winged leviathan which can consume cattle whole. At his word, the beast is translated here to rage and ravage until he calls it back - or until some other Imager concieves a means to kill it. And they are only two men. Consider fifty of them, or a hundred, great Imagers and small, all dedicating what mirrors they have to battle and bloodshed.
He goes on to explain how King Joyse became the first true king of Mordant.
I can tell you quite simply what he did. First he conquored all the princedoms of Mordant, some by force, some by persuasion. And when he had made Mordant into a separate, sovereign realm, he began waging an odd war against both Alend and Cadwal. In battle after battle, raid after raid, for the better part of two decades, he took no territory, conscripted no soldiers, slaughtered no peasants. in fact, he did nothing to upset the ordinary structures of power in either country. All he did...was to take prisoner every Imager he could find and bring his prisoners here, to Orison.
And in this way, he founded the Congery.

He also tells of how Havelock went mad while fighting the cabal of Imagers founded by the High King of Cadwal.

He tells of the current threat being faced by Mordant, that of a powerful rogue Imager who is translated horrible monsters and creatures into Mordant and set them loose to terrorize the land.

After Master Quillon finishes Terisa's lesson, Havelock takes her back to her rooms. In her rooms they find the two guards fighting for their very lives against an intruder. Adept havelock helps by flashing his bright mirror into the intruder's face, and both the Adept and the intruder flee.
Love as thou wilt.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

brilliant duchy!!

'imagery' is something akin to nuclear capability .. or not ;) .. it is dangerous that others possess it .. but not so dangerous that Joyse can capture those who have knowledge of it and use them to form his own 'Congery' .. wmd/imagery programme ..

clearly in an order to control its rogue usage .. and limit those principalities that may use it against Joyse/Orison.

Its ironic that it is acknowledged as an ill but is adopted nevertheless ..

and it clearly has the potential of positive usages too!
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Cool Dutchess! 8) Now that's a prequel I'd b interested in reading!
fall far and well Pilots!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

actually I agree .. and no doubt it would go a long way to explaining Joyses decision of becoming an inanimate object too ..
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

In many ways Mordant is much less of an epic fantasyland than the Land is. There is no Lord Foul here, to play the devil of the piece, no ravers, no ancient forestals from when the world was young, no elohim, no giants, no ur-viles nothing at all except people and imagery.

In my opinion it is this simplicity that makes the books great, and significantly different from the chronicles. Yes, imagery is a great power and it confers great power on its wielders, but Terisa does not stand on the keystone of the world and she does not have to power to shatter it. Certainly the effects of losing the conflict with the opposition would be dire, but they would be dire on a much more human level than the conflict in the chronicles.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

What strikes me about this chapter is that, after hearing all that history, Terisa, who knows nothing about imagery and thinks she is in Mordant by mistake, tells Quillon she is going to try to help, "try to find out" what's going on.

To me, this is very brave, when she feels totally lost in an unfamiliar world, with little idea how or why she arrived there.

~MsMary~
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

This is such an important chapter for knowing what's at stake for the kingdom of Mordant! Teresa isn't the only one who needed this history lesson: WE THE READERS NEEDED IT, TOO!

And for the first time we get a sense of how far Joyse appears to have fallen from his former stature as hero and liberator.

Irritable though he was, I liked Master Quillon from this moment on, for his willingness to explain all that has happened.

One more observation: the explanation of Mordant's history makes things clear enough that no map of the kingdom is ever really needed.

Return to “Casting the Augury”