The meaning of your first name

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

Ylva means she-wolf. Since I am a bit proud of this I suppose I have allready mentioned it, like a 1000 times... ;)

Acctually I think Ylva and Wolf must have the same origin. Wo is defenitely connected to the Y and f and v are almost the same sound in many languages. The "a" is added since it is the female form. The male form of the same word is Ulf or Ulv (even more resembling Wolf...). Anyway the name "Ylva" didn't appear as a truly given name until in the late 1800 (and then only in the "double-name-form", like Ylva-Maria). But it is much older (middle-late middleages), only it was used as the word "Bitch" is used today... When one thinks of it, it acctually is almost the same thing after all. All these years and we still have not come up with new and original curses/swearwords!?

Why do I know these things? I went to the Institute for Dialectology, Onomastics and Folklore Research in Sweden and looked it up a few years ago. If you have a similar institution where you live, I strongly recommend you go there! It was great fun! Perhaps you dont even have to go there in person anymore, it might be possible to access all facts through their open databases...
SLATFATF...
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

The name Kenneth (which I've never liked. It sounds old fashioned and doesn't suit me one bit) is the Anglicized version of Cinaed, the name of the first king of the Scots and Picts. It means 'born of fire' though, which kinda rocks.

Kenneth is also the Anglilcized version of Coinneach, the gaelic for handsome. I guess that makes me an honarary Alan.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

You're a Ken? I didn't see that coming...
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

MARTÍN m
Usage: Spanish
Pronounced: mahr-TEEN
Spanish form of Martinus (see MARTIN).

MARTIN m
Usage: English, French, German, Russian, Romanian, Czech, Slovene, Hungarian
Pronounced: MAHR-tin (English), mar-TEN (French)
From the Roman name Martinus, which was derived from Martis, the genitive case of the name of the Roman god MARS. Saint Martin of Tours was a 4th-century bishop who is the patron saint of France. According to legend, he came across a cold beggar in the middle of winter so he ripped his cloak in two and gave half of it to the beggar. Five popes have borne this name. Two other influential bearers were Martin Luther, the theologian who began the Protestant Reformation in the 16th century, and more recently Martin Luther King, the American civil rights leader who fought for racial equality.

:P

What about our Last names Roger? :P
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Mine doesn't come up... Yours might.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

CovenantJr wrote:Mine doesn't come up...
Big suprise. :P
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'm not even going to bother looking up 'Smith'.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

CovenantJr wrote:You're a Ken? I didn't see that coming...
Yeah I get that a lot, although my email address is usually a giveaway in this type of environment. I'm named after my grandfather, so I can't really change it without incurring the wrath of the family. That said I quite like the look of Cinaed, although I'm not quite sure how it's pronounced.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

DOUGLAS m
Usage: Scottish, English
Pronounced: DUG-lus
Anglicized form of the Gaelic name Dubhghlas, which meant "dark river" or "blood river" from Gaelic dubh "dark" and glais "water, river". Douglas was originally a river name, the site of a particularly bloody battle, which then became a Scottish surname. The surname belonged to a powerful line of Scottish earls.

^ My last name. :P
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

So your first name is derived from the Roman god of war, and your last name is a river of blood? Perfect for a Sith...
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

CovenantJr wrote:So your first name is derived from the Roman god of war, and your last name is a river of blood? Perfect for a Sith...
:lol: :D :lol:
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

But I'm handsome, so :|
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

CovenantJr wrote:But I'm handsome, so :|
But your last name lets you down. :P
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

CovenantJr wrote:So your first name is derived from the Roman god of war, and your last name is a river of blood?

This explains much. If you ever wrote a book, I guess you could title it "War and PMS".
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

dANdeLION wrote:
CovenantJr wrote:So your first name is derived from the Roman god of war, and your last name is a river of blood?

This explains much. If you ever wrote a book, I guess you could title it "War and PMS".
OMG!!! HAHAHAHAHA! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :LOLS: :haha: :lol:

I laughed out loud at this!

Excellent dAN!!! :D :LOLS:
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

dANdeLION wrote:

God's definitely going to judge you for that one, dAN! :lol:

Just call me good ol' "God is My Oath." I have no idea what it means--how could God be an oath, let alone belong to somebody?:roll:--but there it is.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

Latin form of BERENICE, the spelling influenced by the Ecclesiastical Latin phrase vera icon meaning "true image". This was the name of a legendary saint who wiped Jesus's face with a towel and then found his image imprinted on it.

NB BERENICE is not my name!!!!! :x
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

Bah, my last name means "valley with steep sides" in Old English and "is the name of several locations in England."

Pie and Cake
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

Myste wrote:Just call me good ol' "God is My Oath." I have no idea what it means--how could God be an oath, let alone belong to somebody?:roll:--but there it is.
According to some sources I've read, the Indo-European word for 'god' (possibly derived from *ghew- 'to cry out') originally means, 'That Which Is Invoked,' or 'He To Whom Oaths Are Sworn'. If you look at it that way, it begins to make some inkling of sense. 'God is My Oath' would then mean approximately, 'I have sworn by God, and God is the guarantor of my oath'.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

The Leper Fairy wrote:Bah, my last name means "valley with steep sides" in Old English and "is the name of several locations in England."
So you're a bright, famous, steep-sided English valley. Could be worse.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”