Liand

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Roynish
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Roynish »

I think Esmer and Linden have somthing going.
Read carefully and tell me what you think.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Erm... no.
Roynish
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Roynish »

Darth Revan wrote:Erm... no.
Oh how you quickly slough off the possibilities.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I just don't see it happening. She's scared of him... no where does it say she finds him attractive. Nor does she care for him personally I think. And to be honest, do you really see Esmer getting with anyone? One second he's going to be a devoted Haruchai, next; a hateful merewive. :?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Darth Revan wrote:
UrLord wrote:
Darth Revan wrote:If it's blown apart by this dude, I'll stop reading.
Out of curiosity, how do you feel about people who immediately give up on and stop reading the Covenant books after reading about the rape of Lena?
*Consults his feelings*

Didn't really feel anything; it's up to them if they want to stop reading. I understand why they did it... but they are missing out on a great series because of it.
I believe that's exactly UrLord's point. If you stop reading because of Liand, you could be missing out on the greatest thing you've ever read. It's exactly the same as being put off by the rape scene.
Roynish wrote:I think Esmer and Linden have somthing going.
Read carefully and tell me what you think.
Hmmm...I really can't see where you got that from. Could you illustrate?
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I doubt he could... Esmer and Linden really have nothing in common. Not going to happen.

Maybe it is stupid to stop reading, but I'll do it. Maybe it's silly, but I honestly wouldn't, couldn't stomach them being both together.
UrLord
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by UrLord »

*shrug* Your loss, I suppose. If it ever does come to that, anyway, which I don't see happening.
Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost.
Melenkurion
Servant of the Land

Post by Melenkurion »

I agree with Caamora's point that Liand has the hots for Pahni.

More importantly, I think, I also agree with the point that he represents the land's everyman and future. SRD has said that he puts a lot of care into his character names; well, take the I out of Liand and what do you have? I'm sure that his relationship with the Cord will signify the return of the Ramen to the Land.

I can also see a point where he might have to choose between doing the sensible thing for the Land or helping Linden risk the Arch of Time to rescue Jeremiah.
Satansheart Soulcrusher
Ramen

Post by Satansheart Soulcrusher »

I suspect that Liand will eventually be the Land's Adam as it is reborn to health and vitality. I just hope that Linden will not be his Eve. I think / hope that there's more chance of him getting jiggy with Linden's Ranyhyn.

If we're really going to look at this book on the basis of who's going to get with who, I think it goes like this:

Linden - TC (the only thing they love more than each other is the Land itself)
Liand - Pahni
Esmer - you're kidding right?
Mahdoubt - don't be silly
Foul - Joan :D
Stave - Manethrall Hami?

Anyone else... who knows?

Glaive, you've been reading too many conspiracy theories.
The Grey Slayer
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

It's not likely that there will be a Land to be restored. SRD has hinted, I believe, that TC's going to destroy the universe.

Foul and Joan? Don't be mad. Foul hasn't had time for romance in how long? (At least, not that we know of.) Why would he fall for a lunatic of his own making?
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." (Anais Nin)
Satansheart Soulcrusher
Ramen

Post by Satansheart Soulcrusher »

Maybe like attracts like.
Jeez don't people see smileys anymore?! ;)
The Grey Slayer
Glaive
Stonedownor

Post by Glaive »

Satansheart Soulcrusher wrote:Glaive, you've been reading too many conspiracy theories.
Have I, indeed...Liand is the ONLY charactor in this book that SHOULD have a well fleshed-out back-story, yet doesn't...read the chapter in which he first appears again...he snuck off to Kevin's Watch when the Haruchai had their backs turned? Gimme a break!

He seems to have his own goals...I REALLY don't buy his "I'm sticking with you, because you're telling me more about 'The Land' than I've learned in my entire life.." bit.

Also, why, whenever I read a line of his dialogue, do I start to hear John William's 'Luke Skywalker' theme in the back of my head? You know the one, in the original film, where he's gazing out at the twin sunset on Tatooine?

...maybe instead of 'Beware the Halfhand' it should be 'Beware the Liand'.

This happy, young yokel schtick just doesn't jibe with me.
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Liand seems like a good and well-meaning young man of courage and conviction. I'm sure his qualities will be tested to their limits, probably past them before all this is over. Myself, I'd say he and Linden are forming a special bond. Romantic? Maybe. I doubt it, though--although a bit of unrequited romance would fit neatly into this kind of tale.

Personally, I think Linden deserves some comfort and companionship. If she and Liand should ever turn to each other for much-needed intimacy, I don't feel like judging them.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

burgs66 wrote: Foul and Joan? Don't be mad. Foul hasn't had time for romance in how long? (At least, not that we know of.) Why would he fall for a lunatic of his own making?

Well, there was that whole bit in TPTP with Elena Foul-wife. ;)
Love as thou wilt.

Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

See? He's taken :)
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
HighLordKevin
Servant of the Land

Post by HighLordKevin »

In Runes, a common theme that runs through is rebirth or some variation of it. (ie, the return of the Ranyhyn and the Ramen to the Land, the return of TC.) Has the possibility been considered that Liand might wind up creating some sort of new Council of Lords, as a reflection of Berek having done so long before? He has said that he intends to show up the Masters, what better (and more ironic) way to do so than for a young man who was weak and naive at the beginning of his journey to take the helm of leadership from the Haruchai, and give it back to his own people?
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Over a Year ago people were disussing This...

Post by lurch »

Fascinating read this thread so far...Try to consider the subtle change of Liand so far. Innocent yet curious but not of any consequence, thats how he starts out as. He soon starts asserting himself. Some have identified this " tagging along" as hero worship or just bothersome.

Linden keeps trying to dump him thru -out. He doesn't know whats in store. Yet he is willing and does fite. He is amazed and is a quick learner by and of the Land and all that has been witheld from him. Yes, he has joined Lindens entourage. Perhaps,,after every one else tells Linden that she has got it wrong,,it will be fall to Liand,,with his new found health and independence,,to comfort her and lift her from her despair. Sex? no...but alot more Love than she has received from Tom.

Its his insistance that bothers some,,but for me ,,that trait is more reflective of a growing independence.I felt that Liand not being allowed the horsewright experience,,upset him for not having the experience,,not so much for wanting to be at Lindens side and being denied. In a different way, he may have to see the same choice,,The Land or Linden,,,I suspect his growing independence will alllow him to bare the bad news to Linden and also be there to help her put back the pieces. Liand mite be,,the metaphorical sleeping giant awakened that Tojo refered to after bombing Pearl Harbor......MEL
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”