The One Tree: Chapter Eight: The Elohimfest!

TWL, TOT, WGW

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

The One Tree: Chapter Eight: The Elohimfest!

Post by duchess of malfi »

I am a last second sub, so please all of you bear with me. My plan at the moment in dealing with this crucial chapter is to post a summation, then open it up for commentary.

Linden realizes that the soundless bells are the voices of the Elohim speaking to each other. She cannot understand it when she attempts to concentrate on it...
The more she struggled to comprehend it, the more it sounded like bells and nothing else.
...Linden decides to keep both her knowledge and limitations secret, as she suspects that the Elohim are
keeping their true purposes hidden.
Linden is then led to the Elohimfest by Daphin of the Elohim. The Elohim are confusing to Linden --
But for that moment she felt sure she would never again meet any people so capable of beauty.
but also, she feels, at least momentarily, a compulsion of power that reminds her of Revelstone and of being in Santonin's power...

The Elohimfest is held on an eftmound, near a ring of dead trees. Linden wonders why natural trees cannot survive in the home of the Elohim.

The other questors come to join Linden at the mound, all coming from various directions, and some showing signs of emotional pain -- including Thomas, who says that Chant has tried to talk him into giving Chant his white gold ring. |R Chant has told Covenant that
These Elohim consider themselves the center of the Earth. According to him, everything important happens here. The rest of the world is like a shadow cast by Elemesnedene. Foul and the Sunbane are just symptoms. The real disease is something else - he didn't bother to say exactly what. Something about a darkness threatening the heart of the Earth. He wants my ring. He wants the wild magic. So he can attack the disease.
he also told Covenant that he didn't matter, because he was already defeated.

More and more Elohim arrive all of the time...
Then her attention was arrested by the approach of another Elohim. When he first entered the ring, she did not notice him. Neither his clean white flesh nor his creamy robe distinguished him from the gracile throng. But as he drew nearer - walking with an aimless aspect around the hill - he attracted her eyes like a lodestone. The sign of him sent a shiver down her spine. He was the first Elohim she had seen who chose to wear an appearance of misery.
She is told that his name is Findail the Appointed.
"Therefore whensoever there is a need upon the Earth which requires us, one is Appointed to be our wisdom. According to the need, his pupose varies. In one age, the Appointed may deny our unity, challenging us to seek more deeply for the truth. In another, he may be named to fulfill that unity." For an instant, her tone took on a more ominous color. "In all ages, he pays the price of doubt. Findail will hazzard his life against the Earth's doom."
Linden is then told that Infelice is coming, and that the Elohimfest will begin with her arrival.
She was a tall woman, and her lovliness was as lucent as gemfire. Her hair shone. Her supple form shed gleams like a sea in moonlight. her raiment was woven of diamonds, adorned with rubies. A penumbra of glory outlined her against the trees and sky. She was Infelice,and she stood atop the eftmound like the crown of every wonder in Elemesnedene.

Her sovereign eyes passed over the company, came to Linden, met and held her stare. Under that gaze, Linden's knees grew week. She felt a yearning to abase herself before this regal figure. Surely humility was the only just response to such a woman. Honninscrave was already on his knees, and the other Giants wre following his example.

But Covenant remained upright, an icon graven of hard bone and intransigence.
Infelice says that the Elohim usually charge for their gifts, but they will freely give the Sun-Sage what she needs if they are able, without a price. Linden gives the first request to Honniscrave, who asks for his brother's voice .The Elohim say that in order to retore his voice, they would have to blind his visions. Linden then asks that they help Thomas with his venom situation. Again, the Elohim refuse, as they claim that the venom is too intertwined with his being.
Power is life, and for him its roots are venom and leproys. The price of such aid would be the loss of all power forever.
Linden then gives the Elohim a piece of her mind and tells them that at least the questors are trying to fight ther Sun Bane and Foul, which is more than can be said for the faery folk, despite all of their arrogance...and Honninscrave joins in to say that the Elohim are sadly diminished from the legends of the Giants...and Linden overhears another conversation amongst the bells:
One of them was saying:
-He speaks truly. We are altered from what we were.
A darker answer knelled:
-No. It is only that these mortals are more arrogant than any other.
But the first replied:
-No. It is we who are more arrogant. In time past, would we not have taken this cost upon ourselves? Yet we now require the price of him, that we will be spared it.
At once a third chime interposed:
-You forget that he himself is the peril. We have chosen the only path which offers hope to him as well as the Earth. The price may yet befall the Appointed.
Infelice tells Honninscrave to be quiet and then asks Linden if she is now content. Before Linden can get more than six words out of her mouth, Covenant breaks in with his own request -- he wishes to know where to find the One Tree.
At once the bells rand insistently. One of them struck out:
-Infelice, do not. Our hope will be lost.
The crystal answer came clearly from her:
-It is understood and agreed. I will not.
Infelice tells Covenant that the information is already in his mind, and he replies that he cannot get at the knowledge.
The chiming grew hushed, like bated breath. But Linden had caught the import of the bells. This was the moment for which they had been waiting.
Linden tries to fling herself at Covenant to stop him, but cannot do so in time. he asks the Elohim to open his mind.
At the top of the eftmound, Infelice smiled.

OK, good people. Go to it, and rip this chapter apart. :)
Love as thou wilt.

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Thank you so much for coming to my rescue duchess! :D I tried to cover this chapter for Infelice but a series of events made me kinda crazy and eventually burnt me out: A thunderstorm knocked out my power twice then heavy rain made me get up and close every window in the house then the dog wouldn't stop barking and then, after two and a half hours, I had almost half of the dissection done and my server decided to close all my windows! Like I dummy I didn't save or copy anything. So after doing a dissection for Casting the Augury and The Questimoon earlier and being on the net alot lately I kinda shut down and couldn't deal with it. Dissecting is definately a "labor of love" and Donaldson is so dense that it can take 4 hours to do justice to 14 pages!

I'm just popping in from some off-line timeout but I'm a little concerned about lack of responses lately. Maybe everyone is just busy in Springtime... So I'll make a plea for others to join the Dissection and pop back in here with a take on the chapter after one or two of your post here. 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

I'm sorry about not participating more here for The One Tree. Like you both, real life has gone completely nutty for me lately. :)

These chapters with the Elohim always flabberghast me. As many times as I've read the Chrons, they still baffle the heck out me, I can't figure them out. Mr. Donaldson sure did spin an intricate web when he created them.

Their lack of respect for Covenant always set my teeth on edge...
"No. All this is secondary. It's not why we're here."

He sounded like he had found another way to sacrifice himself.

"Continue, ring-wielder," said Infelice evenly. The light in her hair asn apparel seemed ready for anything he might say.

"It's true that Earthpower is not the answer to Despite." He spoke as incisively as ice. "But the Sunbane is another matter. That's a question of Earthpower. If it isn't stopped, it's going to eat the heart out of the Earth."

He paused. Calmly, Infelice waited for him.

And Linden, also waiting. Her distrust of the Elohim converged with an innominate dread. She was intuitively afraid of Covenant's intent.

"I want to make a new Staff of Law." His voice was fraught with risks. "A way to fight back. That's why we're here. We need to find the One Tree." Slowly, he unclenched Linden's shoulder, released her and stepped aside as if to detach his peril from her. "I want you to tell us where it is."
His request is so correct. And they know it is correct and they also know how to achieve it. Their plan had been hatched even before Covenant showed up!!
Spoiler
They know how the New Staff is to come about, and yet they still "silence" him. Send the quest on the wild goose chase to the One Tree...when they know how it is all to be accomplished.
So, I contend, that not only did Foul corrupt the Earthpower of the Land, but his corruption is sinking into the heart of all Earthpower...and the heart of all Earthpower is manifested and personified in the Elohim, thus, they too are now in the beginnings of being corrupted themselves.

Linden shouts silently...

Foul got here ahead of us!

How right she is. :(
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Believer
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Believer »

What I wonder about is how they say that Foul and the Sunbane are just symptoms for what happens to the Elohim. I'm more inclined to think that they are influenced by what Foul and the Sunbane are doing, that Chant's darkening is a result of Foul's corruption of the Earthpower.

Frankly, if it really *is* that there is some corruption of the Elohim, and that is causing Foul and the Sunbane, I have a really hard time grasping how that's the case.
Spoiler
Furls, I see your point about showing Covenant the way to the One Tree even though the SoL wouldn't be created from it, but in a way Caer-Caveral and Lord Mhoram did the same thing. They pointed him away from the Land, to the One Tree, which was a red herring. But as Sunder said, Findail wouldn't have been with them if they hadn't left the Land, so... It all works out. It also allowed Brinn and Cail to fall to the merewives, which had positive effects in allowing Cail to resist the Clave
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Knowing me I'd probably piss off the Elohim for reacting negatively to thier seeming arrogance and superior attitude (which is one of my pet peeves).
It is a mystery why they were being so... mysterious. Almost as if they were like Covenant by "not" making it "too easy".
Yet I'm still baffled by their concern over TC's ability. Findall most ofall. Chant seems to have the attitude that if it were up to him he'd destroy Covenant and leave it at that. He seems to gotten his wish when Inflilence
Spoiler
complies with his request to "open his mind"
Linden was smart in keeping her knowledge that she was able to pick up on the Elohim's language without their knowing (??).
They ARE a mystery people. Almost god-like with their being pure earthpower.
There's too many spoilers here to go on... have to wait. grr grr ...
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Spoiler
And I still have trouble working thru the imprisonment of Vain... What is up with that??? :?
-spoiler is mod's edit: we don't know this until the next chapter right? :? d
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Re: The One Tree: Chapter Eight: The Elohimfest!

Post by matrixman »

duchess of malfi wrote:
Linden realizes that the soundless bells are the voices of the Elohim speaking to each other. She cannot understand it when she attempts to concentrate on it...
The more she struggled to comprehend it, the more it sounded like bells and nothing else.
...Linden decides to keep both her knowledge and limitations secret, as she suspects that the Elohim are
keeping their true purposes hidden.
Again, this demonstrates the special power of Linden's percipience, which I feel is beyond any Land-born ability. Maybe only an Unfettered who had studied the Wraiths of Andelain might have barely discerned the chiming of the Elohim, but I'm doubtful even of that. Never mind actually understanding what the Elohim are saying. Linden is simply operating on another level.
duchess of malfi wrote: The Elohimfest is held on an eftmound, near a ring of dead trees. Linden wonders why natural trees cannot survive in the home of the Elohim.
I wonder about that, too. Maybe the Earthpower is so concentrated in Elemesnedene that it has the effect of being toxic to the trees. It's an overdose of Earthpower. Maybe nothing mortal can survive long-term amid the potency of so many Elohim.

This reminds me of the EarthBlood in TIW. Too much concentrated might for mortal life to bear. Silly speculation: I wonder what the relationship is (or was) between the Elohim and the Blood of the Earth. Did the Power of Command in fact have authority over the Elohim? If so, that must have galled them. To think, any puny mortal who drank the Blood could Command the Elohim! Did they sense the cataclysm that destroyed the cave of the EarthBlood? The Elohim must have been glad that such dangerous power was put out of reach of mortal hands forever.
Durris
Giantfriend

Post by Durris »

Furls Fire wrote:His request is so correct. And they know it is correct and they also know how to achieve it. Their plan had been hatched even before Covenant showed up!!
Spoiler
They know how the New Staff is to come about, and yet they still "silence" him. Send the quest on the wild goose chase to the One Tree...when they know how it is all to be accomplished.
Actually, Furls, I think
Spoiler
they're trying to _prevent_ the New Staff from coming into being at all--so that Findail won't have to give his life, or anyway his freedom.

They're counting on the hazards the company will encounter at the Isle to either end the world (?), end Covenant's life, or otherwise induce Linden to take Covenant's ring.
Furls Fire wrote:So, I contend, that not only did Foul corrupt the Earthpower of the Land, but his corruption is sinking into the heart of all Earthpower...and the heart of all Earthpower is manifested and personified in the Elohim, thus, they too are now in the beginnings of being corrupted themselves.
This corruption is subtly underscored by SRD's choice of words describing the Elohim early in the chapter:
SRD wrote:...everywhere the Elohim enacted astonishment as if it were merely gratuitous--the spilth or detritus of their self-contemplation.
Spilth and detritus 1) connote substances as ugly as the Elohim's manifestations are beautiful; 2) are words elsewhere used to describe the results of the Sunbane, as when a desert sun follows a fertile sun and the plants all melt into gray spilth.
Matrixman wrote:Maybe the Earthpower is so concentrated in Elemesnedene that it has the effect of being toxic to the trees. It's an overdose of Earthpower. Maybe nothing mortal can survive long-term amid the potency of so many Elohim.
This reminds me a bit of something in the First Chronicles: I think it's Elena who says this, though it could have been a Ramen woman. She describes amanibhavam, a powerful grass that heals the Ranyhyn but will drive any human being who eats it mad: "Men are not enough for it."

By the way, what is "surquedry"? It isn't in my dictionary.

SRD wrote:...Linden trembled in sudden anger. Apparently the graciousness of the Elohim masked an unpity like arrogance. She did not believe Infelice. These people were Earthpower incarnate. How could they be unable--?
No. They were not unable. They were unwilling.
This quality, and Linden's reproach to the Elohim for it, reminded me of a phrase I encountered in some work of Mircea Eliade, a comparative religion scholar: deus otiosus. It literally means "lazy god". Apparently in many peoples' mythologies, after the world has been established, whatever powers established it stop doing anything more in, to, or for it. The inaction of the Elohim, unlike that of many 'otiose divinities', is not benign neglect but malignant neglect.
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy is increased.
--Spider Robinson
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

:wave:
surquedry: overweening pride; arrogance; presumption; insolence.

What would we do without dictionary.com? :wink:
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

What takes place among the Elohim and what is said is very subtle and difficult to get a grip on. Take for instance when TC remembers Caer-Caveral saying to him regarding the One Tree:
The knowledge is within you, though you cannot see it. But when the time has come you will find the means to unlock my gift.
Doesn't this imply that TC himself eventually would have been able to unlock CC's gift. I believe this shows that TC took a path that wasn't envisioned by others. So far only the Creator has given him the total freedom necessary to succeed, letting TC decide whatever path to take...

Then in the next chapter the Elohim say:

If you desire another answer, seek it elsewhere. Inquire of the Sun-Sage why she does not enter your mind to gain this knowledge. The way is open to her.

Or was this what CC was thinking of...that TC would have wanted Linden to do it?

So...the quest hadn't neccesarily had to journey to Elemesnedene, they did this in TC's behalf. He was in a hurry and stubborn as he is he chose his path...and this is what makes the chrons so great, ideas don't always come to fruition within the characters, they act rashly or don't act at all, and sometimes with disatrous results, things don't fall into place right away, SRD is not making it easy for nobody...I guess I'm talking about TC here, he and Linden and the Giants follow their personalities, they follow their own wurd, it's what's making them so very human...

kasten
Sheriff Lytton
Giantfriend

Post by Sheriff Lytton »

In light of ROTE, I think that the "darkness threatening the heart of the earth" that is not Lord Foul or the Sunbane is of great interest... think on that and be dismayed !
"Nom"

Return to “2nd Chronicles”