50%
no
50%

Total votes: 4

Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

England's tour of Zimbabwe

Post by Queeaqueg »

Should England be going to Zimbabwe to play cricket, even thought Zimbabwe has a really bad human rights record and of Robert Mugabe's attitude to the rest of the world?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

The simple answer is, sure, why not. If England doesn't go, is that going to solve the problems in Zimbabwe? It's only a cricket match, it's not condoning the government.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Lord

Post by Plissken »

Also, there's every chance that Sporting events will get more independent cameras and dollars into the country - I'm thinking of the "Rumble in the Jungle" here - which is never a bad thing in these cases.
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Well there will be no media there since the government banned it. More then just a sports event. The government has been really harsh to the British people over there.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Tour seems to be going ahead, after Mugabe lifted the ban on British media.

Whether or not they should play, I can't say. On the one hand, it could be seen as tacit acceptance of what he has done, on the other, it could be seen as a way of "repairing" bridges.

I doubt it will have any impact on the lives of the population. Just government image. Perhaps they shouldn't, just because it implies "everything is ok" when its not.

Return to “Coercri”