AMRT Chapter 44: Men Go Forth

Mordant's Need group reads

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dANdeLION, Cameraman Jenn

Edge
The Gap Into Spam

AMRT Chapter 44: Men Go Forth

Post by Edge »

In many way this is a 'transitional' chapter: it's main focus is consolidation of relationships, authority and commitment; yet SRD doesn't let up on his exploration of specific themes, such as gender roles, ethics, etc.

In the beginning of the chapter, Terisa and Geraden want to talk to one of the present authority figures (Artagel, Master Barsonage and the Tor), to catch up on events. Since none are available, they spend the time consolidating their relationship.

During this time, the relevance of the hop-board metaphor is for the first time made very clear, and highlights the differing ethical viewpoints of King Joyse and Havelock in particular. Terisa realises:
No-one understands hop-board. The King tries to protect his pieces.
King Joyse had protected her, protected Geraden.Had tried to protect the Tor. At some personal cost, he had done what he could to protect his wife and daughters. It was even conceivable that he had tried to protect Castellan Lebbick.
Individuals. What good are they? Worthless. It's all strategy. Sacrifice the right men to trap your opponent.
... Did that fundamental flaw cripple everything? Was his policy fatally marred by his inability to sacrifice individuals for the sake of something larger?
Terisa contrasts the uncompromising attitude of Havelock with that of her former employer, Reverend Thatcher. She sees him in a new light now; where she previously thought of him as ineffectual, she now admires his dedication on a personal level.
"If you gave him a choice between... free education for the whole city for one day, and helping one drunk get through another day with a hot meal, he'd choose to help the drunk. Not because he didn't think education is important, but because he couldn't help caring about the drunk.

"Maybe that's sad. Maybe it's even stupid. It's certainly hopeless.

"But it's also wonderful."

She stopped as if she had made herself clear.
...Which of course she hadn't, and by proxy, neither has the author. He raises the question as to which is more ethical: to care for individuals on a deeply personal level, no matter the cost to humanity as a whole - or to be ruthless in the pursuit of what's good for humanity, while ignoring individual needs, and even lives - but leaves us, for now, without an answer.

When they finally get together with Artagel, one of the subjects that is discussed is that of Lebbick and Saddith. Interestingly, Terisa has sympathy for Lebbick, whereas Geraden does not.
...Geraden muttered into the inaccurate light of the flames, "It's hard to feel sorry for him. After what he did to Saddith. After what he meant to do to Terisa.

"No, Terisa said at once. It's easy. His wife died. She and Orison and King Joyse were his reasons for living... King Joyse would have been kinder to cut him off at the knees."
This, of course, is almost directly after the revelation that Joyse is supposedly incapable, unlike Havelock, of regarding people as mere pawns. He puts his whole plan in jeopardy in order to attempt the rescue of his wife, yet apparently was unwilling to do the same for Lebbick. I guess we all have our priorities...

Havelock pays a nocturnal visit to Terisa and Geraden. The message he seems to be trying to convey, is that they should trust him. The hop-board metaphor is brought into play again, with further realisations on Terisa's part:
Suddenly, the test King Joyse had arranged for Prince Kragen, the strange game of checkers in the audience hall, became poignant to her - poignant and awful. By that test, King Joyse had learned that his daughter would betray him.
Another major theme, that of gender roles, is brought to the fore when the Tor tries to forbid Terisa from marching with 'the men', because she is a woman. The outcome is that Terisa is successful in claiming the right to go, on the basis of her accomplishments; she is technically under the auspices of the Congery because of her unique ability with mirrors and translation.

This whole incident lends a certain irony to the title chapter, "Men Go Forth". This irony is added to when Artagel, the 'manliest' of them all, is effectively forbidden to go with the company, and instead is allotted the task of remaining to oversee the defense of the castle. Artagel's response is to clothe himself in Lebbick's bloodied garments, so that
Anybody who looks at me is by the stars going to know what I stand for.
Logistic preparations are made, including an ingenious arrangemant of supplying the troops through the use of conjury - translating provisions back and forth between the castle and the campsite, and finally
With the Congery and six thousand men behind him, the Tor rode out of Orison.
Six thousand men and one woman, to be precise. :)
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Edge, you did a great job. :) You showed two of the big underlying themes of the work and how they run through this chapter. :)

the well being of the one vs. the well being of the many

the empowerment of women

And, as later events will show, its a pretty darned good thing Terisa went along with the fellows! 8)
Love as thou wilt.

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Well done, Edge! 8)

I agree with you completely on this being a transition/connsolidation chapter. SRD does a lot of these in Mordant's Need, I found--which may be one of the reasons some people find it slow-going at times. However, I think it's crucial that he does provide us with this, considering the fact that the story is really about Terisa being rescued from the "enchantment" she's trapped in at the very beginning. Each time she gets one of these periods of reflection, each conversation she has with Geraden, or the King, or Eremis, we see how far she's come--in her ability to conquer her fears, her ability to reason her way through the situation, her ability not just to be "important enough" to be rescued, but to rescue herself.

This is one of those chapters where we get to see that not only is she taking action, she's taking the lead. Not only will she not let her enemies cow her, she won't let her friends do it either. Go Terisa! :D
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.

Return to “Casting the Augury”