The Chronicles FILMED!

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Jasmina
Servant of the Land

Post by Jasmina »

Just found this web-site. Ever since I heard about the new book...the internet has been like 'electronic-crack'! can't get enough. i'm enjoying reading everyone's ideas about casting the movie.
So here are my thoughts.
I have always pictured the Haruchai as Native American actors.
Brilliant on horseback with an un assailable sense of pride and deep culture. Actors like Eric Shweig (from Squanto) and Russell Grant (from Dances with Wolves//he played Wind in His Hair)

The Stone downers are described as being dark haired while Woodhelvenen are described as being fair...so...Lena, Atiaran and Elena should be dark.
Lena~ Natalie Portman
Atiaran~ Catherine Zeta Jones
Elena~ Angelina Jolie (beautiful, powerful and just a LITTLE dangerous)

All the leads in the story have a Dangerous quality to them...so...
Mhoram~ Gabriel Byrne
TC~ Colin Farrell
I get 'stuck' on LA because I can't picture an age-appropriate actress to play opposite Colin Farrell.

The Giants are Scots- to a man/woman

Anyway
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Heh, if you mention Russell Grant to a Brit the first person they'll think of is a camp-as-a-row-of-pink-tents astrologer whose continued presence on TV defies explanation.

I think Gabriel Byrne would make a pretty good TC, actually. Colin Farrell is a bit too young for me (and the potential producers, who have supposedly approached Russell Crowe already). Robin Atkin-Downes (B5's Byron) has the perfect voice for Mhoram IMO, although again, he's probably too young.

I had an idea for the casting of Foul the other day. He could be rendered in CG and voiced by someone suitably scary sounding. Robin Sachs would be perfect as if there's a Latex clad villain to be found, chances are that he provides the voice. He plays Ethan Rayne in Buffy, and was the voice of the big bad in Galaxy Quest.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Gabriel Byrne as TC. Now there is the best suggestion I have heard yet! Although he is Irish, he has the acting chops and emotional range of despair, brooding, anger, and can carry it through with a look, as much as with words.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
W.B.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by W.B. »

How about Dustin Hoffman for TC, about 25, 30 years ago? When he was the appropriate age. Not now, of course.
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Stephen R. Donaldson Ate My Dictionary
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

W.B. wrote:How about Dustin Hoffman for TC, about 25, 30 years ago? When he was the appropriate age. Not now, of course.
I can't see it but then, I always felt Hoffman was overated. Just MY opinion. 8)
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Dragonlily wrote:Amani, cross that DDL picture with one of him in Gangs of New York. He's gotten older, but that only helps the TC portrayal.

Seth Green. Joke, right? :? :wink:
Just saw In The Name of the Father last week. DDL is the definite Covenant for me.

Dustin Hoffmann? Isn't he a bit short for TC?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
ElHoggo
Servant of the Land

Actors for TC etc.

Post by ElHoggo »

Well I read the first and second Chronicles as they were being written, and I've just finished Runes. At the time I was r4eading the first ones I thought if a film was made I'd use the following;

TC - Peter O'Toole or Donald Sutherland - they need to be gaunt and lanky.
Foam Follower - Brian Blessed
Mhoram - Max von Sydow or Nicol Williamson
Foul - Charles Dance

Problem is most of these guys are too old now.

Actually I don't think a film could ever reproduce the things that the make the books so good. The books are about feelings, about getting inside the characters and empathising with their mental struggles. any attempt on film to reproduce this would result in a real mess.

THe story itself stands as a good fantasy if you ignore that - so a film would stand on its merits as a cracking good fantasy epic - but it could never expect to really get all the feeling that the books convey, simply because you are in Covenants head a lot of the time.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Christian Bale just emailed me and said, "You dang Watchers! How many pounds [60] do I have to lose and how much more intense do I have to act in my new movie The Machinist www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/11.24. ... -0448.html to prove to you that no other actor than I can play Thomas Covenant!??" :wink: Look at how damm gaunt he is now and prepare to be blown away by The Machinist! 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

Nav wrote:I think Gabriel Byrne would make a pretty good TC, actually.
I have to agree. Or someone of a similar look and ability. I think he could definately doa good job of portraying the weariness and cynicism of Covenant.
Kevin son of Ireland
Woodhelvennin

Post by Kevin son of Ireland »

The Stone downers are described as being dark haired while Woodhelvenen are described as being fair...so...Lena, Atiaran and Elena should be dark.
Lena~ Natalie Portman
Atiaran~ Catherine Zeta Jones
Elena~ Angelina Jolie (beautiful, powerful and just a LITTLE dangerous)

This has certainly made the most sense out of most of the suggestions in this topic. Well done Jasmine ;)

I also have to agree with Elhoggo though when he says that the story could not be done as well in a film version. I mean how could they possibly show Earthsight? Anyone?
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

I think Zeta-Jones and Jolie are outstanding suggestions, especially Jolie. As for Natalie Portman, she's a great actress but I just don't think she looks like an innocent 15 (16?) year old.
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

And then you'd have to deal with her demanding footage of the rape scene being cut in post-production... :mrgreen:
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

Humm... there's definately ways to do it. You could shoot the stuff without earthsight in a different way, possibly simply use drab colours, or different types of film, or some kind of a duller filter?
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Danlo, you sold me on Christian Bale. 8O WOW. You could practically see through him! Never mind the fact that I've had a crush on him since Empire of the Sun and that version of Treasure Island with Charlton Heston. :swoon:
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
jelerak
Bloodguard

My Thomas...

Post by jelerak »

...why hasn't anyone considered Tom Hanks as Thomas? If anyone has shown a range of abilities, it is Hanks. So many roles he has adapted to that you would have never figured he could pull off. Also, (I can't get his name at this moment), but the guy who played Doc Oc in Spiderman 2 I think would make a good Mhoram, wise but driven. Just an idea...

2nd choice for Covenant...Michael Keaton anyone???
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Mollina. Robert, I think. For some reason, I see Kenneth Branaugh as Mhoram. *shrug* Bale's a good pick, but I still think Edward Norton's the best choice (and the role is right up his alley).

Bit part, but how about Vin Diesel as Trell? Definately need some stocky guys for the gravelingas, if not the Stonedowners in general.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
tcovfan
Servant of the Land

FILMED FOR REAL???

Post by tcovfan »

From COMING SOON: (clearly there is a mistake in the last sentence!!)

www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=7654

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant Coming

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

December 17, 2004

Revelstone Entertainment and the Mark Gordon Co. are teaming up to produce a feature film version of Stephen Donaldson's epic fantasy The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Revelstone has optioned the rights to the first six books in the series, which Band of Brothers writer John Orloff will adapt.

The books revolve around a shunned author (Covenant) who is magically transported to the Land, a mystical world where he discovers he is the incarnation of a great hero. Covenant thinks it's all a dream. But he's the bearer of a magical talisman, and is enlisted to help save the Land from Saturn and his representatives.

Post by Guest »

"Saturn and his representatives" ?????????????

What the H@#l is that? Who writes these blurbs?

I can not believe this may actually come to pass. I can not believe anyone can do as well with the film adaptation as I did in my mind. I will of course be the first in line to watch it!

I recommend Eric Bana by the way. Ignoring Hulk, he is perfect for the part of TC, IMHO.

I bet they delete the Lena scene all together. Since you can't get into TC's mind in a movie anyway, you won't be able to understand the guilt and its implications. I'm sorry, but I just think it will be a HUGE disappointment. I'll have to start preparing now...as Puss-in-boots says "Whatever happens, I must not cry"
tcovfan
Servant of the Land

Post by tcovfan »

Yeah, but did you see Band of Brothers?

Was pretty great, plus they stayed REAL close to the book!

Fingers crossed!
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

Wow. This news definately rocked my day :)
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”