Well ... She's Gone.

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

^ ?? ^

Anyway ... the girlfriend has found an nice little apartment close to where she works and is slowly getting used to the "Australian" way of things. She's really enjoying her new job and the great weather, and says the people in Brisbane are very, very nice. Quite a few people have commented on her "accent", and she thinks that's just hilarious ...

Her only complaints so far:
- it sucks not having a car to get around with
- some shops have weird hours of operation
- street signs can't always be relied upon and aren't always present
- many apartments that she looked at were pretty filthy (even many of the ones that were apparently up-scale and expensive)
- books and CD's are expensive (no presents for me I guess!)
- she hasn't seen any 'roos, koalas, crocs or dingos yet!

It looks as though I'll be going to see her for about 2 weeks next April or May.
-- I've learnt everything I need to know about life just by listening to RUSH --
theDespiser
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by theDespiser »

you had a typo in that quote...you put 'hostel' instead of 'hotel'

just messin with ya
Think on that, and be dismayed

What do you do to a man who has lost everything?

Give him back something broken
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

That wasn't a typo ... she was staying in a "hostel".

A hostel is a simple, inexpensive "dorm-style" of lodging which serves as temporary accommodation for students, travelers, etc.
-- I've learnt everything I need to know about life just by listening to RUSH --
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

dANdeLION wrote:I know how you feel. I just moved into my apartment today, having been sleeping over at my grandmohter's for the last 9 or so weeks since separating with my wife of 12.5 years, and our 5 children. It is a hard thing, but my hope is we'll get back together, or at least each of us will find happiness and heath.
I'm sorry you are going through this. My husband left me 30 weeks pregnant with our 3rd child a week before our anniversary/Valentines Day. So this Feb 12 I will celebrate my 5th NOT-anniversary celebrating 11 years of kinda sorta, but not quite marriage. lol Yes, any reason to party. I don't miss my husband. He is a sweet guy, but has serious depression problems as well as other problems. He rarely contacts the kids and chooses to live 5 states away. Honestly, despite this poor single mom thing, I have never been happier and more free in my life! I finally had a chance to find out who I am and heal the person I was. If you ever need to talk, I would gladly lend an eyeball or two. I can most definitely say, "been there, done that, got the t-shirt". Hmmm... I really do need to get a t-shirt made that says that.
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

"You can always procrastinate later."
-me

"I'm not fat. I'm FLUFFY!"
- Garfield

"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love"

-"We Live"
by Superchick
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

Another quick update on my girlfriend (for anyone who cares to follow this thread, that is):

- my girlfriend has been "adopted" for the holiday season by the family of a co-worker (which is great since she won't be completely alone for the holidays!)

- her co-workers have pitched in and collected money with which they bought her a CD player and a lamp for her new apartment, as well as giving her old appliances, chairs, furnishings, plates, glasses, and cutlery to use until she can afford her own stuff.

- unfortunately, the apartment that she just moved into wasn't cleaned properly by the management company, so now she's in a veritable war with them to get it cleaned before the holidays ... she's pretty frustrated by these people who were more than willing to take 2 months rent in adavnce as well as a damage deposit, but don't really seem to care that the cleaners they hired didn't bother to take care of her particular apartment before they found another tenant. Some people at her lab are helping (again) to try and get the situation sorted out. I feel pretty bad for her, since it's her very first apartment and she just can't seem to get "settled in" there because it's such a mess. She called me early this morning and was quite upset - which breaks my heart, because there's absolutely nothing I can do to help other than try and support her over the bloody phone. :cry:
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Dan, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Unfortunately, many of us have been in your shoes. I have been there twice! I does take a certain amount of adjustment and healing but it will pass. Never fear. When you are ready, you will be able to trust someone again.
The King has one more move.
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

MD, it is nice to hear that so many people are helping your girlfriend. Sorry to hear about her apartment woes. Some landlords just suck. My air conditioner was not working right for a LONG time and my electric bills were $400 to $700 a month! As a poor single mom that was a huge problem. I couldn't get enough proof for legal aid to help me sue them... the landlords blamed it on the meter. Odd how since my air conditioner caught on FIRE and they had to replace it, now my bills are around $100 to $115 a month. Arg.
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

"You can always procrastinate later."
-me

"I'm not fat. I'm FLUFFY!"
- Garfield

"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love"

-"We Live"
by Superchick

Return to “General Discussion Forum”