METALHEADS & HEADBANGERS UNITE!

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

METALHEADS & HEADBANGERS UNITE!

Post by Metal-Demon »

Alright folks ... I'm new here, and if you can't already tell by my screen-name, I'm a die-hard Metalhead in every sense of the word.

I've been an unwavering Metal supporter for over 26 years now (ever since 1978: thank-you BLACK SABBATH!!) ... and if in my 34 years on this planet I can claim to possess superior knowledge in one single area, it would be Heavy Metal. I even had my own Heavy Metal radio-show called "Fist Held High" for two years on a local radio station.

My Favourite Metal Sub-Genres: Black Metal, Death Metal, Thrash/Speed Metal, Power Metal, Classic/Traditional Metal, Avantgarde Metal, Progressive Metal

My Least Favourite Metal Sub-Genres: Doom Metal, Stoner Metal, Grindcore, Goth Metal

My Most Hated Metal Sub-Genres: Hip-Hop/Hardcore Metal (Nu-garbage included), Punk/Crossover Metal

Anyway ... enough about me. Let's get a good, solid Metal-discussion going!

What I need to know is this ... who among you worships at the altar of Metal, and what Metal sub-genres/bands do you follow?
-- I've learnt everything I need to know about life just by listening to RUSH --
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Welcome to Vespers, M-D. Can't say I'm happy to see doom and stoner on your least favorites (but since I'm not much for black and death, I guess we can call it even), but I'm still happy to have another metalhead around. I bumped some threads for your consideration.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

Great! Thanks Caer Sylvanus ... I appreciate that!

It's not that I *don't like* Doom or Stoner, it's just that my exposure to the sub-genre is not as extensive as other genres.

I still like a great many Doom and Stoner bands, but given the choice between say ... picking up the new Orange Goblin album, and the new Dark Funeral album, my love for the more extreme side of Metal will always win out.

Here's a few Doom and Stoner bands I like:

Anathema
Candlemass
Orange Goblin
Solitude Aeturnus
Spirit Caravan
Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine
Cathedral
Confessor
Morgion
Cult Of Luna
Dawn of Dreams
Evoken
Grand Magus
The Hidden Hand
High On Fire
Katatonia
Khanate
Lacrimas Profundere
My Dying Bride
Novembers Doom
The Obsessed
Alabama Thunderpussy
Fu Manchu
Paradise Lost
Pentagram
Place of Skulls
Kyuss
Masters of Reality
Monster Magnet
Unida
Saint Vitus
Sleep
Thorr's Hammer
Trouble
Nebula
Warhorse
-- I've learnt everything I need to know about life just by listening to RUSH --
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

Judging by the threads that Caer Sylvanus bumped for me ... there seems to be a few other Metalheads occupying The Watch.

That's good ... that's very good, indeed!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Orange Goblin, Cathedral, The Obsessed, Fu Manchu, Kyuss (of course), Masters of Reality, Monster Magnet, Unida, Saint Vitus, Sleep, and Nebula I'm familiar with. Most of the other names I recognize, but haven't been able to pick up anything of theirs (and very little of Sleep or Saint Vitus).

Have you heard The Atomic Bitchwax, Electric Wizard, Goatsnake, Mastodon, Pelican, Sixty Watt Shaman, or Solace? Of those, I most highly recommend Pelican. And if you're into Green Goblin, I recommend Yob, though I've never been able to get into them.
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

Yeah ... I've heard all of those bands. The only ones I really liked were Mastadon, Electric Wizard, and Sixty Watt Shaman.

I just picked up the new Mastadon ... it's pretty good.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I can't understand a word you guys are saying! :haha:

Actually, being a huge fan of Shang Chi, I've heard of Fu Manchu. Might be a different Fu though. :D

Ever heard Blotto's Metalhead? I saw them a couple times, and I tell you, when Sargeant Blotto bites the head off that Smurf doll... MAN that's something to see!!!!!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

BLOTTO ... disturbed me a great deal. :-x
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Hey, M-D, can you list some good progressive metal bands?
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

I can. FaceCage. Thats all we need to know.

Oh, and Venaculous.
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

I love metal music, but I am more of a fan of Old Rock like Deep Purple and stuff.
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
Chrysalis
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Chrysalis »

Although I am not exactly sure what sub-genres I fit under, I do love some of the Metal out there, depends on my mood really. As long as it is good, loud and heavy I am normally quite happy though! ;)

Are there any really great Metal bands you could recommend Metal-Demon if you get a spare sec? I could do with some good new music to listen to :)
"-People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes."
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

I'll definitely recommend some bands for you Chrysalis (please give me an idea of some of your favourite Metal bands so I have some idea of your tastes, okay?)... and I'll some great Prog Metal bands for you, Sylvanus!

My time is limited right now ... so it'll have to wait for another day or so. Stay tuned to this thread! Or check out "My Latest Metal Acquisitions" thread to see what stuff I've gotten recently.
Chrysalis
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Chrysalis »

Metal-Demon wrote:I'll definitely recommend some bands for you Chrysalis (please give me an idea of some of your favourite Metal bands so I have some idea of your tastes, okay?)... and I'll some great Prog Metal bands for you, Sylvanus!

My time is limited right now ... so it'll have to wait for another day or so. Stay tuned to this thread! Or check out "My Latest Metal Acquisitions" thread to see what stuff I've gotten recently.

Hrrmmm... I am never good as classifying bands...but let me try...:)
I know I don't like stuff such as Soulfly and the death metal, speed metal sub genres.
The traditional stuff works well for me and most that have good music to support lyrics.
Some of the bands i have in my general collection include Anathema, Life of Agony, Disturbed, Cradle of Filth, A Perfect Circle, Tool, Apocalyptica, Slayer, Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica and so on. (some you may not classify as metal exactly) I cross over into heavy rock alot of the time...
I am open to all suggestions though :)

Shall go look at the other thread now...thanks!
"-People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes."
theDespiser
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by theDespiser »

in most metal circles, thrash and speed Metal are usually referred to as speed/thrash, as they are both very similar, but with some differences...and Slayer has been considered both...

you ever here Running Wild? or Helloween? more Iron Maiden-esque bands, as far as traditional, though theyre also considered 'power' metal...as far as bands in the style of Sabbath, theres St. Vitus, Sleep, Cathedral, and Pentagram(another band from the late 60s/70s...more contemporaries of Sabbath that not many people have heard of)

you might like Blind Guardian or Demons and Wizards...
Think on that, and be dismayed

What do you do to a man who has lost everything?

Give him back something broken
Invain
Giantfriend

Post by Invain »

I'm pretty bad at classifying genres... Generaly I listen to Anathema, Entombed, Moonspell, Tiamat, Metallica, Sepultura, Rammstein, Tool, Testament and Lacuna Coil

Anathema's latest album is a sad mistunderstanding compared to their previous works.

Return to “Vespers”