Glen Cook - Dread Empire

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Invain
Giantfriend

Glen Cook - Dread Empire

Post by Invain »

Has anyone read it? It's a 7-book cycle (septalogy?), quite original and well-written. The characters are fleshed out nicely, with deep psychological reasons and moral values. Unlike many fantasy writers, Cook follows the kind of realism which I like - if a character is put in a deadly situation he will most likely die, even if he's one of the main heroes. (This often leads to very sad and unnecessary deaths... but I still prefer it to, for exmple, David Eddings's virtually immortal characters)

I'm open for discussion - what did you like/dislike the most about the series?
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Have not read Dread Empire, but I have read the Black Company series. Still waiting for the last of those books to come in so I can finish it.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall

Return to “General Literature Discussion”