What If questions about the end of the Second Chronicles

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Talk about re-reading the chrons again and again! We are in some pretty fast company in this discussion board! I've forgotten how enjoyable book discussions are! And this one is particularly provoking! So many people with so much love for this story - I thought I was the only one! How silly of me! :lol:
The King has one more move.
hamako
<i>Elohim</i>

TC/LF one and the same?

Post by hamako »

I've read the chronicles time and again over the last nigh 20 years and have become more and more convinced that TC and LF are essentially different parts of Covenant's persona.

The climax of the chronicles shows this all too clearly - LF is ultimately blasting himself with his/TCs intrinsic power. How could he possibly defeat TC/himself.

LF had no hope of being beaten unless TC was killed - this is why I think that LF has been erased, well certainly physically, as has Covenant.

In fusing the venom into himself, was the absorption of Foul inevitable? I think so. THe conflict in Kiril Threndor was therefore academic. Foul was already beaten.

For this reason I don't think that Foul could reappear and a third future (as opposed to prequel) wouldn't be possible.

I agree with the arguments that the ring is a token, ultimately the wild magic is TC - that's why Foul/TC was so incredibly powerful with the ring.

Finally, how else could Foul be defeated - the only person who could be summoned to do battle who would definitely succeed would be himself as TC

Just a few thoughts, keeping me sane whilst working...
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

interesting .. there is definitely some relationship between TC and LF .. maybe the relationship is simply 'despair' ..

If we accept that LF is just an expression of TC's persona .. his very real 'alter-ego' then we are obliged to accept that the Land is just an expression of his consciousness also .. as are the wealth of characters and their involvement .. as is LA from our world ..

It may be so .. though I am not at that point where I can accept the Land etc.. is just a well designed abstract created by TC's sub-conscious mind ..

there will be a 3rd chronicles according to SRD in previous interviews .. and there will not be a prequel according to the same most credible souce .. but as to whether LF will appear in the 3rd .. SRD will have to come up with either the explanation you offer .. the Land being merely an expression of a poor man's leperous mind .. (in which case bringing it more into line with reality than a fantasy novel) .. why and how LF (an reputedly immortal being unable to escape to Land) is suddenly destroyed or no longer on the scene ..

I agree .. I think there are definite connections between TC and Foul .. but what that or those connections are .. remain yet a mystery to me .. though I do recall TC referring to Foul as to infer that they were the same .. but still I think 'the same but different and distinct individuals' rather than the same exact person in a different dimension .. or the creation of the one's imagination ..

*<wishes SRD would write the 3rd chons> :roll: <in my lifetime or his>
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Oh! I wanted the Third Chronicles to be a prelude about the Old Lords. Oh well, I'll read what Donaldson gives me..... But about LF in the 3rd Chronciles, maybe he wont be there. Maybe it'll be about turiya and moksha. Ive often wondered what they could do to the Sunbaneless, but very vulnerable, Land,
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

yes but!! :P

:wink: .. kidding ..

LF is 'THE' arch nemesis - the antagonist

.. sure there are other evils and even when we had the sunbane and the ravers appearing the more evil presence in the 2nd chronicles .. the arch evil presence was still LF .. sure the ravers can make their mark in the 3rd .. as they have now exposed their desire no longer remain servile to LF .. so it should be interesting to see what transpires ..
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
hamako
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by hamako »

I was thinking about the 3rd chrons this am in the shower, a bit sad yes.

I don't agree that if TC & LF are the same then the Land is a figment. Ithink there's a possibility that TC is a big part of the Arch of Time. SO it doesn't matter that he exists outside the Land. Remember when we hear the tale of how the Arch was formed, we hear that there is a fleck of darkness in it - LF. GO along with my theory and that fleck is the darkness in TC. OVer the years the darkness grows and bingo LF rears up.
THink of the time (in our world ) when LF & KEvin battled. It would be about the time that TC developed leprosy - there's a thought. Is there a link? DOes this substantiate my theory?

3rd chrons - I agree you can't leave out LF though it look difficult. Maybe we'd have a new nemesis driven from Linden's persona.

In all the time tha LA & TC were carrying on, surely there's a chance that she got pregnant? The new central character could be the child - that would make a great character - the offspring of wild magic and the power of healing via the new Staff/Vain/Findail. PLus the Land 10000 years on.

Didi LA really heal the Earthpower cleanly, even the Creator put a flaw in inadvertanly. LA has some dark side, lot of possibilities as to what she could have introduced in wielding such tremendous power.

Totally separate, but wasn't Elena sexy?
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

We've been down the "LA could be preggers" road and the "let's map a timeline and correlate happenings in our world and happenings in the Land" road on the earlier board. But -- wow! The thought that LA might have inadvertently placed a flaw in the healing of the Land -- that's a new one! Hmmm....

Personally, I don't think there would be any point in a 3rd Chrons without TC and LF being among the main characters. As somebody here once said, if TC is *truly* gone, then the next series wouldn't be the 3rd Chrons of TC, they'd be the 1st Chrons of LA (or Roger Dodger or whoever). Foul *has* to come back. In other words -- he's not *quite* dead! :lol:
danlo
Lord

MP

Post by danlo »

"I tought u said TC was dead..." "'e got better!" :D
fall far and well Pilots!
Brinn of the Haruchai
Ramen

Post by Brinn of the Haruchai »

If you read the last chapter you will see that covenant states tat foul is not dead just beaten back. Sequel anyone?? Maybe with roger as the protagonist or Linden
I am who I am, Ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol. The Guardian of the One
Tree. Brinn of the Haruchai.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I can see no way around Roger not being in a 3rd chrons. And LA seems most likely she is now the ring bearer .. :wink: .. TC will be there .. spectre or whatever .. but he will be there .. :P for sure!

yeah sure LA could be 'preggers' .. which raises a claim of heirship thing .. once Roger has got over his suspected 'loathing of his father' .. between LA's child and Roger Dodger .. just a thought.

anyway I have no real clue .. but that sounds good enough for starters :wink: :P
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Think of the emotions involved if Roger comes to the Land! Roger will definitly meet his biological father- Covenant. He will probably be very angry and afraid of Covenant because his mother probably taught him to be that way. Also, Roger will be introduced to the Land as well, hopefully it wont end up like Covenant's first visit :roll:. Now its LA's turn to save or damn the earth! I cant wait.....
hamako
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by hamako »

I'm not too sure that Roger would appear, he's hardly mentioned in the chronicles really is he? Mind you, if he is to be a character in the third set, lots of possibilities....the son of the wild magic?? Same power? More? Less? None?

I also think that if we see the offspring of TC in a new chronicles, then we'll also see Foul's kids too - if you go along with the LF/TC link theory previously discussed. Now that could be interesting...

There's also the question of Joan too - she was in a pretty bad way at the start of the second chronicles - what could be the impact of this?

the 2nd chronicles show that movement to an from the Land is a two way process - Land-borne beings can move into our Earth possibly.

I've just started reading TWL again, so you can count on the thought-mill being cranked up on this topic.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

bump--something tells me hamako might be wrong! :wink:
fall far and well Pilots!
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I think there can be a slight danger in all the wild speculation about The Last Chronicles. Namely, that we will become so caught up in our own pet theories and be convinced of their validity that we start holding Mr. Donaldson accountable to them. The fervent theorists among us may be setting themselves up for disappointment, if SRD's story direction ends up not agreeing with what they had in mind. Me? I offer no theory; I'm not interested in second-guessing Mr. Donaldson. I'm cool with whatever he chooses to do with The Last Chronicles. (After we're done with those books, then I'll offer my theories.) :D
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

That is an excellent point - and I can attest that it's possible. Something very similar happened to me after Matrix: Reloaded. I had my own theory on Revolution that turned out to be untrue, and I was very disappointed (both in the movie and my lack of skill as a seer and prophet.)
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Thanks, dlbpharmd, for the kind words. I certainly don't wish to offend all the great folks here who have strong convictions about The Chronicles; we're here because of them, after all. I'm just advising caution against extreme emotions. (Remember the Oath and hold your Peace. :mrgreen: )
Durris
Giantfriend

Post by Durris »

*bump*
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy is increased.
--Spider Robinson

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”