In Loving Memory of a Dear And Special Friend ...

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

In Loving Memory of a Dear And Special Friend ...

Post by Metal-Demon »

I had to say goodbye yesterday to my best friend and beloved companion, Sage. She was wonderful, and I still haven't figured out what I ever did right to deserve such a great and loving companion.

I adopted Sage from the Human Society here in town in October of 1995. I was going thru a pretty rough time in my life ... and she literally changed everything for me.

She made my house a home, and it was such a great feeling to know that no matter how crappy my day might be, that at least someone would be glad to see me when I open the door. She made me a better person ... just by being my friend.

But now she's gone forever. :cry: It was a horrible decision to make, but I didn't want her to suffer too much, and in her own way she let me know it was time. I owed her a great deal for all the unconditional love and happiness she gave me over the years, so I stayed with her until the end ... as much as it hurt me, I couldn't leave her.

Needless to say, I'm absolutely heartbroken and devastated ... it's pretty quiet around my home now, and frankly ... I don't think I'll ever get over the loss of my little pal. :cry: I just can't bring myself to put away her toys, food/water bowls, or her many beds and blankets spread throughout the house ... everytime I look at them, I break down again.

I've been crying so damn much since yesterday afternoon ... me, a big old tough tattooed metalhead, bawling like a school child. I have to tell ya, I'm having a very hard time typing all of this ... I just miss her so damn much. :cry:

I'm not the most religious person, in fact I don't really believe in God ... but I certainly do hope that I'll be with Sage again one day, somewhere ... if only for awhile. :cry:

I've taken the day off from work (which will probably land me in a heap of trouble), but Sage and I were together for almost a decade, and without her in my life ... well, it's gonna be pretty f**kin' tough.

Sage - wherever you are, buddy ... thanks for all the wonderful, fun-filled years. I hope you were happy with me and and I hope that I treated you good. A huge part of me died with you ... and I'll never be the same again. I love you more than you'll ever know and I'll miss you terribly for the rest of my life. You were, are, and always will be the best.
-- I've learnt everything I need to know about life just by listening to RUSH --
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

M-D, you have my most heartfelt sympathies. I had to put my beloved Ajax (half lab/half shepherd) to sleep December 1st. It does get easier, but the pain doesn't go away, at least it hasn't for me.

I wish I could give you more comfort, but I can't. It sucks. Remember the good times and cry as much as you need to. If it helps, there's a thread in the Close that relates to this, I believe it's "Do Animals have souls?".

Dammit, now I've gotta go out to my truck and have a cry myself....
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

Oh, this made me cry. I can relate to this because a year ago January 2 I had to put down my dog too. I am so sorry for your loss. I think sometime people underestimate the impact losing a loved pet can have. As for God, I do beleive. Even if you aren't real sure about your beleifs in God, always remember the basic laws of physics. Matter can not be created nor destroyed. Somehow in some way Sage still exists.
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

"You can always procrastinate later."
-me

"I'm not fat. I'm FLUFFY!"
- Garfield

"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love"

-"We Live"
by Superchick
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'm so sorry, M-D.
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I'm sorry, MD. I'm just so impressed that you had the strength and courage and love to keep Sage from suffering. I can't imagine having to make that sort of decision. It's a wretched thing to have to do, but the love it shows is a wonderful thing, too. Hang in there. |G
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

((((((((((Metal-Demon))))))))))
Love as thou wilt.

ChoChiyo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ChoChiyo »

My deepest sympathies, MD. A few years ago, I had to put my 20-year-old cat out of his misery. The most horribly painful thing I ever had to do. I still get the lump in the throat and the tears in my eyes when I think of him.

This poem helped me a lot. I look forward to the day when my little kitty son and I meet on the Rainbow Bridge.

Cry as much as you need, and know that we share your pain and are here to support you.

For my part, I believe that people who feel true love for and true grief at the loss of their companion animals are wonderful, good people.
The Rainbow Bridge
inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.
Now--I'm gonna have to cry a while myself.

Empress Cho hammers the KABC of Evil.

"If Ignorance is Bliss, Ann Coulter must be the happiest woman in the universe!"

Take that, you Varlet! :P
Avytaya
Stonedownor

Post by Avytaya »

I'm so sorry for your loss. :cry:
She looked like a big sweetie.
-Avy
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

I'm sorry for your loss, M-D. *hug* Losing a companion is always difficult, all the more when you have to make the decision to let them go. What can I say, it hurts like hell, but if you remember the good times then she'll be with you forever.

I've lost several horses in the past few years that I was close to, and even though none of them belonged to me, they made my life and the lives of many other people just that much better. It hurt to lose them, especially those who went before their time. I'm just glad I had the opportunity to know them.

Cho, that's a beautiful poem. I can't read it all the way through just now - I'm at work and I'm afraid I'm gonna start crying, too.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Damm: it's hard MD! I had to put my Tricolored Collie, Lothlorien-Goldberry down a year ago and my fuzznut buddy, Jamaica last summer. Lori for severe hip displaysia at 14 and Jam for bladder cancer at 11. Even though we have a new dog I still come home and feel something or someone's missing. They had to scrape me off the walls at the vet with Jam-I was screaming and crying so hard I thought they would call the men in white coats. I still miss my girls terribly.
fall far and well Pilots!
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

M-D, thanks for sharing such a moving tribute to your pet with us. Mere words seem inadequate in a situation like this, but you have my deepest sympathies. :(
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

Thank-you everyone for your kind words ... I'll scan a couple more pics of Sage and post them later on.
-- I've learnt everything I need to know about life just by listening to RUSH --
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

Metal-Demon,

I am so sorry for your loss. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

My sympathies, man.

I know how you feel. I've been there.
Cate
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cate »

Metal, I've been there too, and my heart is touched as well. I can see who she was in her sweet eyes. I still see my "Gypsy's" eyes, my bordercollie who had to be put down. She was one of my kids.
"let the storm of thought spend itself. Presently you will arrive upon a calm sea."......Walter Lanyon
I am not Joan
Ramen

Post by I am not Joan »

|G |G |G |G |G
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

MD: you have my sympathies,

our dog, Sonny is being kenneled while the daughter-in-law & three kids are staying. i miss him so much, and it's raining, so he's cold and lonely.
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

I wanted to post this earlier but couldn't find it:

Near this spot are deposited the remains of one who possessed Beauty without Vanity. Strength without Insolence. Courage without Ferocity, and all the Virtues of Man without his Vices. This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery, if inscribed over human ashes, is but a just Tribute to the Memory of BOTSWAIN, a Dog.

John Cam Hobhouse

I have always prefered dogs to most people I know and this expresses why quite well. I do hurt for you.
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Oh M-D... I'm so sorry. I've been devestated way beyond what I ever thought I would be a couple times by the death of a "mere" pet. My heart truly goes out to you.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

MD, pets are more than just "pets", they are family. And losing a family member is always hard. May you find peace knowing that she is suffering no more and in a place where pain does not exist and the light always shines. Envision her running thru a vast field of flowers chasing butterflies...

Hugglesssssssssssssssssssss to you |G |G

Peace :hearts:
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image

Return to “General Discussion Forum”