The Day of the Jackal

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

CovenantJr
Lord

The Day of the Jackal

Post by CovenantJr »

One of the greatest books I've ever read, and one of the most ruthless/impressive/ingenious characters I've ever encountered. I'm currently reading it for the second time, and enjoying it just as much as the first. The first half is a little slow - though interesting - but watching it all come together in the second half is the true joy of this book. Never have I encountered a mind so meticulous.

Any other Jackal fans?
Last edited by CovenantJr on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I've only seen the film (the original, not the travesty), but I really enjoyed it. It's one of those books that I keep meaning to get around to.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I saw the film once, after I'd read the book. From what I remember, the film version of the Jackal relied far more on luck than the book version. I highly recommend reading it.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I love the movie, but I would be delighted to read the book, especially on your recommend. Frederick Forsyth is supposed to be a top quality thriller writer.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose

Return to “General Literature Discussion”