racial purity in the land no halfbreeds!

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Thaale
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thaale »

Covenant's first impression of the haruchai, from Lord Foul's Bane:
They were like Stonedowners in size and build, but they were flat-faced and brown-skinned, with curly hair cropped short.
Rincewind
Giantfriend

Post by Rincewind »

i think SRD mentions that they have mongoloid features later, the whole "flat expressionless face" makes me think of asiatics a little too
mickwalker
Stonedownor

Post by mickwalker »

my my i have touched a nerve hear, doth the lady protest to much? shakspear villanised jews in the mercant of venice, fine most people did in time, dickins should of known better with fagin in oliver twist, we are still looking at litriture 150 years old. tolkin was a devote catholic and child of the british empire, he was also a proffessor of english lit so he knew the impact and allorgies of that he wrote on, my point is does donaldson in the first chronicals give supirior racial attributes and inherent good/badness to racial/special groups. if we realy take apart the land it is a communistic dictatorship of the inteligensia with a pure anarchistic moral code, this is tediousto me but if we discuss a book we discuss it, p.s. i have read all of tolkins work and formed my veiws well b4 the films, no black elven actors though!
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

mickwalker wrote:my my i have touched a nerve hear, doth the lady protest to much?
Translation: 'I have no reasonable response to your eloquent and convincing argument; so I'll just dismiss it out of hand, and throw in a personal attack for good measure'.
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
Vector
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Vector »

This should put some of this discussion to rest:
Stephen R. Donaldson Gradual Interview wrote:
Drew Bittner wrote:Can you describe how you developed the <i>Haruchai</i>? I pictured them as vaguely Polynesian or perhaps Southeast Asian, and wondered if you had any specific image or concept before creating the Bloodguard and their ancestral people.
I imagine it's obvious that I had a vaguely Southeast Asian "type" in mind. As I think I explained much earlier in this interview, when I planned the first "Covenant" trilogy I concentrated on "roles" rather than on "characters": I knew what, say, Giants or Bloodguard or Ramen were going to do, but I didn't necessarily know what they were like; I discovered their character(s) as I wrote. (Incidentally, as I've also explained, I no longer work that way.) Well, when all you have is a "role," sometimes you need more to help you discover the "character." And at that time (the early 70's), I had the vague--if false--idea that martial arts existed as a Southeast Asian phenomenon. So I started there.
"When you look into the abyss, the abyss looks back into you" - Nietzsche
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Vector wrote:This should put some of this discussion to rest:
Stephen R. Donaldson Gradual Interview wrote:
Drew Bittner wrote:Can you describe how you developed the <i>Haruchai</i>? I pictured them as vaguely Polynesian or perhaps Southeast Asian, and wondered if you had any specific image or concept before creating the Bloodguard and their ancestral people.
I imagine it's obvious that I had a vaguely Southeast Asian "type" in mind.
No.
All this does is prove to me that this SRD guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
They're *black* damn-it!
:D
Arrrgghhhhh.....................!!!!
I hate it when a image of something I've had in my head for 20 years suddenly goes up in smoke!
Oh well...
At least I know for sure that Balrogs have wings.

(I'm kidding)
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Vector
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Vector »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:All this does is prove to me that this SRD guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
Yeah, sheesh, one would hope that no-one actually listens to this guy....
"When you look into the abyss, the abyss looks back into you" - Nietzsche
mickwalker
Stonedownor

Post by mickwalker »

dito dito dito

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”