Query about the Sunbane

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Variety is the Spice of Life!
Change it every 2 days to keep the Landers, on their toes and not getting bored.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

It was disscssed in another thread that perhaps, and two-day sun had the same power as a 7 day sun.

So as they get closer together, they get stronger.

Still though, even if it was weaker, could you imagine 7 days of pestullence?
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

I think the net result of a sun is constant. i.e. The same amount of growth during a fertile sun, or dessication during a desert sun. So, as the suns become shorter, the immediate impact is more intense. The first desert sun, for example, probably didn't just melt everything away on the first day. Rather, the water dried up, then the plants started dying, and only by the later days had everything turned to dust. (Runes spoiler coming. It is marked, but don't reveal it if you don't want to know a plot element)
Spoiler
Even with Linden's help, it took the Land centuries to recover. When she went back in time, she was immediately able to sense the Sunbane's latent ill in the Earth.
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Spoiler
(so is the Sunbane an aspect of Kevin's Dirt?)
fall far and well Pilots!
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

Spoiler
It could be, but I don't know. I thought that particular question had been answered in the negative someplace. In addition, Linden's health sense was in full force even during the Sunbane. I seem to recall a statement that the landers' loss of the health sense predated the Sunbane. In fact, I would think it's loss would be a prerequisite for the na-Morahm to convince the people that the spilling of blood could actually fight, rather than feed it.
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Danlo, I doubt it. That would be to easy of a plot line.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Luke The Unbeliever
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Luke The Unbeliever »

I think that short cycles of the Sunbane would be worse than lomg cycles..

In a long cycle enviroment, the people of the Land would have plenty of time to stock provisions for the unfertile times.

On the other end of the spectrum, short cycles would be like a constant bludgeoning of the order and laws of life and death. Creation and Destruction are not designed to occur so rapidly when it comes to a habitat.

Also, I believe the Sunbane was never completely destroyed....
Foul inflicted The Land with it's own form of Leprosy.
Just like Covenant's disease, actions can be taken to push the affliction into dormancy but in the end....the sickness will always be there under the surface.
Brian: Who cured you?
Ex-Leper: Jesus did, sir. I was hopping along, minding my own business, all of a sudden, up he comes, cures me! One minute I'm a leper with a trade, next minute my livelihood's gone. Not so much as a by-your-leave! "You're cured, mate." Bloody do-gooder.
Brian: Well, why don't you go and tell him you want to be a leper again?
Ex-Leper: Uh, I could do that sir, yeah. Yeah, I could do that I suppose. What I was thinking was I was going to ask him if he could make me a bit lame in one leg during the middle of the week. You know, something beggable, but not leprosy, which is a pain in the @$$ to be blunt and excuse my French, sir.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”