Reading ASOIAF

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

OK, I give... What is ASOIAF? I take it it's a series written by this Tad Williams person? You have talked enough about it that I have a general idea about the mood and writing style, but I still don't know the actual title of the series. :)
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

ASOFAI is "A Song of Fire and Ice" by George R.R.Martin. So far there are three books in the series, with a fourth one on the way. I myself have not yet begun reading them, but I gather they take place in an island land dominated by four major houses. Also, the author's style is very gritty and angsty.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

The three books written so far are called A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, and A Storm of Swords. There is also a short story called The Hedge Knight that is set a bit further back in time from the main series (you can find it in the Legends anthology, and is often referred to as the Dunk and Egg story after the nicknames of its two major characters). The books are set on the continent of Westeros, which is ruled by a high king, who usurped the throne about fifteen or so years back. The land is governed by several major families, who used to rule many smaller kingdoms until the realm was united by the old royal family. There are a LOT of tensions simmering just below the surface...
Some of the action is also set on a continent across the sea, where a young princess from the old dynasty lives in exile...
If you think Donaldson sticks it to his characters, you would not believe what Martin does to his...
The books are very character driven, and he changes the points of view with each chapter. It is a bit odd, but when you get further into books it's really cool, because you can see some of the most important events from more than one set of eyes. He also lets you see his world from the eyes of people who are often ignored in high fantasy, like dreamy little girls to grieving women to the physically handicapped, well, you get the idea. He actually lets you see what is happening to the peasants and the lowborn when the nobles play their game of thrones.
I think that Martin is like Donaldson. People either love his stuff or hate it, without much middle ground.
He is in the process of writing his next book, A Feast for Crows, and will have another Dunk and Egg story released later this year as well, in Legends 2. He says two more books after Crows, his wife says three. I've heard that their tentative titles will be A Dance With Dragons and A Time for Wolves.
Love as thou wilt.

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Spoiler
Well, the first three characters introduced are all dead in by page 15. Off to a good start! :)
Gotta love this one though:
"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"
"That is the only time a man can be brave."

A classic thought, nicely said.

So what's with the middle initial "R" in fantasy authors' names? Tolkein and Martin even needed 2 of 'em! Did Donaldson considers 2 to be bragging, so stuck with the one?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Group read of Martin's Storm of Swords @ the Hangar (hit my www 2 get there) I've said this elsewhere, but just a reminder that our group read is now @ chapter 6! Damelon will start Sansa tonight and I will do 7, Jon, 2mrrow. Please join us!
fall far and well Pilots!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Our Storm of Swords group read is chugging along to chapter 18. We also have a lot of fun Martin ASOIAF polls to vote in, so pop on over and have some fun with us!
pub189.ezboard.com/bahirashangar
Love as thou wilt.

Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I just finished A Clash of Kings, and I loved it! I can definitely at least two nods to other authors--the Red God of Melisandre and Stannis is the Lord of Light, Roger Zelazny? Then, on the Wall, there's Qhorin Halfhand, SRD?
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I just finished A Clash of Kings, and I loved it! I can definitely at least two nods to other authors--the Red God of Melisandre and Stannis is the Lord of Light, Roger Zelazny? Then, on the Wall, there's Qhorin Halfhand, SRD?

That pic of Robert is kind of depressing to me, since we see him here in all his glory, slaying the blood of the dragon, while we see him later where he is overweight, and drunk. He hated being king. :cry:
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Isn't that a great picture? It's by one of the artists working on the comic book version of the Hedge Knight. :)
Love as thou wilt.

Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Lord Mhoram wrote:I just finished A Clash of Kings, and I loved it!
Got you hooked eh.. :lol: One more to go and your caught up!
OsRavan
Woodhelvennin

Post by OsRavan »

there are tons of nods to other authors including donaldson yes.

how jordayne of the tor.. with their sigil being a quil comes to mind.

house vance in dorne as well.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Os,
house vance in dorne as well.
Good call, I didn't catch that one.
OsRavan
Woodhelvennin

Post by OsRavan »

though excuse me vance is in the riverlands. was late last night. heh was confusing it with house vaith.

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”